Crazy Randall deals

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by migstopheles, Jul 10, 2020.

1. FearComplex

FearComplex Contributor

Think I'll return it. If it was stuck on a high gain channel and that sounded great, I'd be tempted to fix it and keep but I can't judge based on the clean channel alone. Though that channel really does sound great and the amp also looks killer, though it is obscenely heavy.

2. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Ah. Well at least now you have $1200 to grab something else if you want

FearComplex likes this.
  3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

My EOD88 arrived, supposed to arrive Monday but it’s here Saturday which is neat.

2EAFA39B-70DF-46C5-9513-199A8EC492C5.jpeg

24C8EB55-2262-4A8F-9484-0A8113BB3CDB.jpeg

it is more ‘classic’ voiced, if I want a modern metal tone from it I need a boost and an eq in the loop to pull out the mids a bit. It’s a cool sounding amp though. More gain than I expected in the first gain mode (which I believe is 3 gain stages). The first mode with a boost is enough gain for me.

the other gain mode (4 gain stages?) I think does more than just add a gain stage as the sound gets a bit darker and thicker, I prefer the sound of the first gain mode.

It’s actually a really quiet amp. Barely any noise even with some notoriously-noisy pedals I have.

depth and presence controls work really well and it works great as a power amp for preamps. I ran some preamps into the FX return (some AMT legends and my Fryette GPDI) and it works great. I think I like it more than my 2/50/2 as a poweramp for preamps (!!)

Fit and finish is pretty good. It feels solid. The chassis is one piece including the whole metal front panel. Some orange peel on the black paint on the front. Randall logo and the skull appears to be silkscreen or masked and sprayed with paint. Maybe I could rub it off haha.

It has three preamp tubes (all ruby 12ax7) one of which will be the phase inverter for the power amp, so two 12ax7’s for the preamp. I assume then it is plate-driven tonestack, else the second higher-gain mode would need to be diodes or something, which I’m not sure about as there is no volume drop when switching to the other gain mode.

the fuzz is mostly unusable, unless I have it at 0 and then roll my guitar volume way back. I don’t really do fuzz, so maybe that is normal.

I want to open it up and check out the plate voltage of the KT88’s, I’m curious if it is just running on a normal plate voltage for EL34/6L6’s in the 400-500v range, or if it’s actually running a high plate voltage. Also curious if there is a bright cap on the gain knob as based on the sound I think there might not be (or maybe a really small one).

no idea what it’s based on, I will take some pics of the inside, maybe someone with amp knowledge will recognise some of the layout.

Trashgreen, Bearitone and 0rimus like this.
  4. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

BAW WIT AH BAW DE BANG DE BANG DITTY DITTY SET TAH BOOGIE SEH UHP CHUCK DA BOOGIE Screenshot_20200718-081046~2.png

5. mnemonic

To be fair those V2’s and T2’s were discontinued maybe a decade ago right? If they’ve been sat in a warehouse since then, maybe one of them burst it’s caps when first turned on.

6. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

Yeah, you'd think being hybrid solid state power section amps would make them super reliable axiomatically...

And while my old V2 never malfunctioned in any way, I do remember it being... quirky? Finicky? Possessed?

(Also I was 1 'DITTY' short in my previous post)

But this is good news for me. Amps are on hold from being purchased while I await payday. AND get some extra QC in the meantime.

Bearitone likes this.
  7. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

The T2HLs were kind of known to blow up they were built much more crappily than the real T2/V2 were. When I got a used T2 that died the first thing Randall asked was it a T2HL LOL.

Reminds me I need to find the box to my V2 so I can sell it.

8. Trashgreen

Trashgreen SS.org Regular

Today I had my second test day with the V2 Archetype playing at higher volume, with pedals and using the Syn-1 in the loop:

So I hooked up the Synergy Syn-1 with the Bogner Übershall module in the serial loop. Not only did it sound awesome but apparrently the graphic EQ is post the serial loop so it can be applied to the Bogner module as well! A pleasant surprise I must say and I see interesting toneshaping possibilities here!

Clean channel seems to work very well with pedals and it reminds me a lot of the Clean module from Randall. It stays clean with the gain most of the way up but the signal becomes quite strong the more gain you dial in, which seems to serve as a great pedal platform. The Friedman fuzz sounded quite powerfull as did the KHDK Unicorn fuzz. Kicking in the KHDK Paranormal OD along with the Friedman fuzz created a extreme stong sound as well. I see interesting possibilities here!

If you guys havn't tried the Synergy system yet I highly recommed you give it a try. The added flexibility is awesome and it's super fun to switch between different highgain sounds as you play!

[​IMG]

Elric likes this.
  9. mnemonic

heres some high-res guts pics of the EOD88 for anyone who cares:

https://ibb.co/rZPrV8M
    https://ibb.co/qWGw22H
    https://ibb.co/Fnq2GXD
    https://ibb.co/S7PYNPP
    https://ibb.co/0sQwk8x
    https://ibb.co/XSmpPNj
    https://ibb.co/3h8V9mS
    https://ibb.co/CMx81kS
    https://ibb.co/J5FnJFR
    https://ibb.co/xzYFYyH
    https://ibb.co/JcqZ8rV
    https://ibb.co/S57qsVK

Plate voltage is 516 volts, so I guess I could probably run EL34 or 6L6 in this as long as i was careful to choose ones that can take the voltage. I dont know what the OT specs are though. not planning on swapping power tubes anyway. Kinda dubious of that 88 watts claim now.

Also, I noticed the standby switch cut volume immediately when flipped to standby, whereas all my other amps, the volume ramps up/down when going in or out of standby, made me think it is a mute circuit rather than a traditional standby. Plate voltage on pin 3 measures 536 volts when in standby. I could have sworn my other amps measure 0 volts on pin 3 when in standby.

Also, I hooked the amp up to my axe fx in 4-cable-method, works very well, the loop is great. Very flexible. I set up a patch to use a boost in front of the amp and reverb/delay in the loop, then the next scene just running a fender tweed model into the fx return for cleans.

Seabeast2000 and technomancer like this.
  10. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

I wanna buy one and rack mount it. What a power amp that would be and at $500 way cheaper than anything out there that can take 88's.

11. mnemonic

PSA for anyone who bought/is buying one of the tube amps, check your bias.

When I was reviewing the pictures I took I noticed 1 ohm resistors on the cathodes of the power tubes, so when I was measuring the voltages I inadvertently also measured the bias, which is approx 63ma per tube. Based on the plate voltage that is 77% plate dissipation (assuming these are 43 watt KT88’s, which I think is right for these ruby KT88STR’s). Too hot.

I will rebias later today down to 50% or 60% as I don’t really want to buy new tubes any time soon.

also, in reference to the plate voltage when on standby, it seems the standby in this amp is a ground lift on the cathodes, so more of a mute circuit. According to the schematics of the Satan/thrasher, they are the same.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  12. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

If I understand correctly, this amp was designed by the tube manufacturer. :lol:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  13. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

After seeing these pics I feel like it NEEDS a sheet metal lunchbox chassis lol

Very cool. I half wish I bought this instead.

14. mnemonic

It could have been down to wall voltage, this one is wired for 230v and while the U.K. is technically 230v, I consistently get 245v to 250v at my wall (technically within tolerance). so if it was fired up at 230v in the factory, set to 70%, all the voltages would be higher at my house.

I set it to 50% dissipation and I didn’t hear any sound difference, so there it will stay.

did you get the V2 yet? I’d be interested in hearing what you think. I am half tempted to get a T2 also whenever they show up again back on the website.

I measured the chassis and it would fit in a rack. It’s a bit flexible outside the headshell though and would for sure need some metal work done to make a chassis with rack ears.

also it does not have a voltage switch like (presumably) the hybrid Randall’s, I think it’s a ‘universal’ power transformer though as there are some extra taped-off wires inside the chassis from the power transformer. They aren’t labelled though so you’d probably need a tech to rewire for 120v (I doubt Randall customer service would help).

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  15. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

No, they sent me the wrong amp initially so it will be another few days before the V2 arrives.

I am honestly pretty happy With my Randall RG200D g3+. It’s a hybrid amp that’s supposedly in the same family as the T2 and V2. It’s just a bit dry for my taste and the lack of a resonance and presence knob is a bummer.

I have high hopes for the V2 Archetype. More gain, more low end, 400watts, Depth & Pres controls. All the exact changes I would make to the RG200D

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I think I talked about this before but I think the G3+ series has more in line with the V2's SS channel than the T2. It's in the KINDA same vein, but IIRC the T2 and V2 are just... MORE. :lol:

I've actually been wanting to get a G1 or a G2 series. They have this kinda old school Thrash sound to them. Only issue is they're voiced kinda scooped so they don't cut through the mix too well.

17. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

Bob over at eurotubes.com recommends 70 or 75% but nothing over 85. I usually set mine around 70 or 75 and have yet to have a set of tubes go out on me. I usually change everything out at once at around 2 years, sometimes longer.

JJ88s are around a 35 watt tube but I dunno what the Rubys are suppose to be . 35w / plate voltage = maximum plate current * .7 (percent of maximum) = target plate current.

35/516 = .0678 * .7 = .4748 or 47.48 milliamps so that would be the target bias, or a little less. The 60s sounds pretty damn high if the tube is only rated at 35 watts. If the tubes is like 45 or 50 then it isn't as big of a deal.

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Given these amps were discontinued over a decade ago, I kinda doubt we'll see these again. I'm guessing they found some NOS somehow and sold them cheap to get rid of them.

19. dm496

dm496 SS.org Regular

You guys that got the V2 Archetypes be careful with the faceplate. I bought one used years ago, and the metal colored faceplate tarnished very easily from fingerprints, and would not clean up. In my experience any attempt at cleaning only made it worse.

Bearitone and jarledge like this.
  20. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Disregard this post.