crackling sound on regular audio playback

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Santuzzo, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Hi,

I am using a Win7 PC with a Line6 UX2 interface which I use for recording as well as regular audio playback.
    I have been using this setup for 10+ years and never had any issues.
    Just a yesterday out of the blue I noticed crackling when playing back audio, be it playing an mp3 with the WindowsMediaPlayer or playing a clip off of YouTube.
    It's the type of crackling you get when the CPU reaches it's peak for a split second, so I'm assuming this must be some sort of driver related-issue? Or could this be something else?
    I did look if there was a new driver for my UX2 interface, and indeed there was one, but evne after installing it, the crackling was still happening.

And when it happend I'm not running a ton of programs, usually just either Windows Media Player and/or my browser (Firefox) from which I'm plying a clip off YouTube.
    This has just started happening now, so there must have been some change on my system that I was not aware of that must be causing this. Could it be a Windows update causing this maybe? Or a virus/malware?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Most certain some windows update of some sort. Do you also have the Onboard Audio card active? If so update its drivers as well, if it doesn't work and try to use another Audio Card to see if the prob goes away, if so... maybe it's the oldy UX2 saying its time for a retirement.

Can also be the CPU telling you its tired... been 10 years of hard work ;)

Santuzzo likes this.
  3. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Thank you!
    I will try your suggestions.
    I'm not sure (I will have to check later), but I think I have the onboard audio card disabled, but I might be wrong on this.
    So, are you saying it might be a hardware-related issue with the UX2 maybe? Or the processor of my PC?

4. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Yeah it can be... but you know these things are never that easy to spot. Its a 10 year old machine and most certain something can be start to show its age.

Can also be some process running in the Background for whatever reason. Check the Task Manager and see if there are CPU Spikes and Temp Increase. I use Real Temp (free) to always check the temp of my CPUs when using Laptops.

Santuzzo likes this.
  5. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Thanks again!
    It never really entered my mind, but yes, 10 years is quite old for a PC indeed....

6. C_Henderson

C_Henderson SS.org Regular

I'm 99% sure it's a Windows issue related to one of the last updates. I've been having the same issue you're describing for the past couple weeks too, and my PC is definitely not the issue (4 years old, decent i7, 12GB of RAM). And neither is my interface, which is pretty new and has been working flawlessly until now. The worst is when I try to record something on Reaper, it has been totally unusable since that update. I've tried everything and no luck.

Santuzzo likes this.
  7. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Thank you!
    If it's the Windows updates, I guess we should be able to install them and resolve the issue that way?
    Maybe doing that in chronological order for update by update (starting at the newest) and after each uninstall try if the crackling is still there.

8. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

9. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

10. C_Henderson

C_Henderson SS.org Regular

UPDATE: It was definitely an issue with a Windows update that fucked up some drivers and CPU usage somehow. I installed a new update yesterday and just by changing a bit the buffer size the crackling was gone. For the record, I'd get unbearable crackling just by having a couple tracks on (just one with a VST); yesterday I did a test and I got 10 tracks running with VST and no crackling whatsoever.

Santuzzo likes this.
  11. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Glad you figure it out, now do yourself a favor and STOP the auto updates :D

C_Henderson likes this.
  12. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Oh, cool! Great you got it resolved.
    I will have to take a look on my PC, I remember there was another update a few days ago, but I have not had a chance to test the audio.