Covid-19 Virus

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gmork, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Yeah I'd be a proper lunatic if I drove the 400 every day. I have to do that drive into work maybe twice per year and all it really saves me is 30 minutes but it adds a whole load of headache... Not worth the 30 minute savings TBH.

2. Daniel_91au

Daniel_91au SS.org Regular

Thanks Gmork, held on to my job so far in Australia but a full lockdown looks like it will be here soon enough. I am feeling for a lot of people who didn't have much already and having their lives torn inside out. On the positive side there are many people trying to adapt and come up with new ways to keep their families fed and make a living.

3. Kaura

Kaura biding his time

Ugh, just took a trip to the kiosk at the end of the street. Saw two different groups of 8.10 kids hanging around. I really wish the government sets the army on the streets and removes all these idiots from the streets.

4. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Their parents need to take responsibility, but that's easier said than done...

More restrictions coming as I write this though - they're essentially closing of the capital city area for three weeks because that's where most of the infected are. Good move, imo.

5. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Fuck the US! I'm moving into p0ke's basement... I'll bring guitar strings and beef jerky.

p0ke and c7spheres like this.
  6. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Take me with you. I'll move in the attic!
    - Come on everyone! Party at p0ke's house!

7. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Ive got beer and a ps4!

8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I haven't been around here much. Been really busy. No coronavirus that I know of in our household, just a whole lot of work.

I had an album slated to release April 1st. Kind of bad timing, but, as long as that's one of my biggest problems, I will be doing great.

Vermont goes on lockdown this evening, but I have a special ID card for work so that I can get there and back.

These are incredible times.

9. High Plains Drifter

I couldn't find any flights to Finland so I decided to build a rowboat. Unfortunately Home Depot is limiting me to one plank per visit so prob gonna be a while until I can get there.

p0ke and c7spheres like this.
  10. Kaura

Kaura biding his time

I come and steal that beef jerky. :lol:

In other news, just woke up and read that Southern-Finland got locked down. And I live here. :ugh:

11. NotDonVito

NotDonVito ouch!

“Close the borders down!” - Don Vito(1:27)

Kaura likes this.
  12. Oilid

Oilid SS.org Regular

Say it with music!

Share!

13. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Lol @ @High Plains Drifter & @c7spheres :lol: I think my wife might have something to say about that :lol:

But yeah, I think we're doing the right thing. For example comparing to Sweden - they already have more than 70 corona deaths according to the news, Finland has 3. Yes, Sweden has a slightly bigger population too, but that can't be the only explanation for the death count being more than 20x.

14. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

With no scheduled evening activities anymore, I keep forgetting which day of the week it is.

How long will it be before all of the television shows shut down filming? I don't usually watch much TV, myself, but I'm afraid that my wife will go crazy cooped up in the house without anything to do.

15. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Looking at the statistics, it looks like Sweden is ahead of Finland timing wise by a week or so. When Sweden were at ~950 confirmed cases (like Finland are now) they were at 2 deaths only. I don't want to sound morbid, but I think you guys will get your share of deaths as well, unfortunately. Btw you actually seem to be at 5 now, 2 more today.

16. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yeah, I don't doubt that the worst is still ahead (and yeah, I missed today's count, they only mentioned Sweden on the news because it's escalating rapidly there atm). Maybe it was an unfair comparison.
    I don't know how many people get tested in Sweden, but over here they pretty much only test those in critical condition. Since I don't know the testing conventions in Sweden, I wasn't relying on the deaths/infections ratio but rather deaths/time, because you'd think the disease would hit both countries roughly around the same time. I could be totally wrong, I'm no scientist, but that's my hunch anyway.

Also, I have relatives in Sweden and according to what I'm hearing, it basically sounds like the government is sticking their heads in the sand and hoping it just goes away.

Well, not quite yet, I think it'll come into effect the day after tomorrow or something. So you can still escape :lol:
    But realistically speaking, no-one has to travel in or out of there - there's nothing there or outside that people couldn't live a few weeks without. And there's exceptions for work and seeing family etc. so they're basically only limiting the people who travel for leisure.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 6:12 PM
  17. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I think it was a bit unfair, maybe because I am Swedish lol...

Deaths and patients in intensive care seem to have started taking off a bit in the last few days, yeah. But I think it's a bit of a natural progression unfortunately. It takes a while for people to get worse and die.

Sounds like they don't agree with the softer line Sweden is taking on restrictions and closings of things. It's hard to say right now what's the right or wrong move, but I don't think anyone is sticking their head in the sand. Bit hard to do that with this shit going on.

18. High Plains Drifter

Sans link... but news out of NYC is pretty grim today...some people waiting days for tests... turned away due to the overload. The stories are absolutely heartbreaking and awfully damned frightening to say the least. 13 dead in less than 24 hrs? Appears the 3 main hospitals in NYC are very quickly losing control..

Was out today casing the grocery store to get an idea of what to expect when we try to grab a couple essentials tomorrow morning. But Jesus... saw one woman with a mask out of prob 40-50 people. And Fuuuck... all so close together... just shopping like any normal day. Saw the same at Lowe's... maybe another 30 or so people... all crowding outdoor nursery area and inside... buying plants and landscape stuff cause springtime! I was there to get a/c filters and aluminum tape... only dude in there with a mask. Registers now have plexiglass sneeze-guard type shields. I used cash and told her to keep the change lol. She looked at me like I was crazy... I mean, I am but still. I honestly don't even wanna know the stats around me. I know we're spreading it rampantly down here.

19. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Stuff is usually taped months in advance, so we probably won't see an impact until next year, barring certain reality TV programs.

20. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

At least here, people mostly keep their distance when grocery shopping, only the old people are still trying to run you over with their shopping carts. That's the most annoying part to me - the whole idea of this quarantine and other limitations is to protect the elderly and people who are particularly sensitive to the symptoms and then they're acting as if they're being punished. Basically rebelling by doing all the things they're told not to. I mean, come on...

I don't wear a mask either, but I do wear gloves when grocery shopping now. The store I go to has had other customers every time I've gone there recently, but no more than 10 and like I said most people keep their distance quite well.
    Last time I went, some teens buying energy drinks started pretend-coughing next to me (apparently to make fun of me because I wore gloves), so I told them "dude, if you actually had the virus, you'd be at home sucking your mom's tit right now". So they quit doing that :lol:

Well, I'm actually the one who's not agreeing, my relatives don't seem to care much. I just think much tighter restrictions should've been placed much earlier over there as well. Sure, I don't know what the best option might be in the long run, and what works for one country doesn't necessarily work for another. The economy here will be taking a hard hit from everything closing, that's for sure, but ultimately it's the responsible thing to do IMO. Economics can be dealt with once we know who'll be left to deal with it...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 3:33 AM
    c7spheres likes this.