Covid 19/Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ralyks, Feb 27, 2020.

1. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

I can see if people wanted to do that voluntarily, but if any government official tried to come into my home and forcibly remove any of my family members (especially my kids), they'd end up with a bullet in their head.

2. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

If I'm not mistaken, South Korea did at least something similar, placing infected people under strict quarantine with absolutely no contact to any healthy people (except for medical personal). And if I was living with somebody, if I knew I had a potentially deadly disease, I'd want to stay away from people, especially those I love. But you can't exactly book a hotel room or anything, and if the people you're currently living with move somewhere else, they could already be infected, spreading it further. I know one wants to be close to family and such, especially when you're not feeling well but when staying close could literally kill them... I'd welcome the option to go into some kind of quarantine "prison". Especially if I'm not "intensive care" levels of sick. Worst case scenario "the food sucks, the beds suck, the people around you are annoying af". Significantly better than "someone you love is dead, and you're to blame". Although if we had that option, I can't see many people taking it.

3. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

So, apparently it is what i was implying.

4. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

5. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

6. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

Dumple Stilzkin and XPT707FX like this.
  7. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

And that’s just the short term. Long term, the sun will exhaust all hydrogen, expand to a red giant consuming the earth, and then there will be the eventual heat death of the universe. So nothing looks promising.

8. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

this just in.... we will all die at some point.

9. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Please, won't somebody think of the children?!?!

10. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

:cool:

11. shadowlife

shadowlife Contributor

I'm not sure about your area, but people I know who've tried using grocery delivery services (before all this virus hysteria) did not have the best experience.
    Dented cans, products past their expiration date, poor quality fresh produce, broken eggs in a carton, etc.

Having everything delivered is great only if the people doing the gathering and delivering care about what they are doing.

As I said, things may be different in your case.

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Someone I know used one of those grocery delivery services recently - there was a miscommunication somewhere and 6 bananas somehow become 6 bunches of bananas.

13. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

I've been using Wal-Mart's grocery delivery system for a while now. It actually works quite well. Sure, there might be a couple items that were messed up, but i just give walmart a call and they're fast to fix any issues.

Funny enough, i just barely had them drop off some groceries. A gallon of milk was damaged in the process. No biggie. They'll just fix the issue.

shadowlife likes this.
  14. AChRush1349

AChRush1349 Causal Anomalie

Wow, how philosophical and profound and relevant, we sure live in a society huh?

15. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I've been using them since this debacle started and haven't had a single problem. :shrug:

shadowlife likes this.
  16. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

My mom ordered groceries, waited a week, then they told her they were out of everything she wanted and cancelled her order.

Also, remember the model I posted several weeks ago (I don't think anyone here even looked at it at all)? Fauci is now saying there will be closer to 60k dead. I'd say something about being smart, but I'm sure the predictions from experts are bound to change as the assumptions I made in my model all blow up somehow.

17. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Man, where's mister tally man when you need him.

Randy, TedEH, Dumple Stilzkin and 2 others like this.
  18. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Corona come and he wanna go home!

vilk, Randy, TedEH and 2 others like this.
  19. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

The home grocery services here have been, uh, medium, but it's probably more about the touch-and-go selection and them not quite knowing how to substitute. Availability has been more of an issue than anything.

We actually attempted 'analog' grocery shopping tonight. MA has a % occupancy cap so there was a limit on the number of people allowed in the store at a given time. Does that stop people from almost running into you at any point? Of course not. And of course the same people with no regard for social distancing- let alone personal space- are the same douchebags not wearing any PPE. Surprisingly, there was TP and PT but no brown sugar or yeast, so I assume that people are baking-away their stress now.

20. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

What I've been doing is putting in multiple orders with a spread of regional grocers. So far it's worked out pretty well.

I understand that not everyone has the privilege of laying out that much money, or living in areas jam packed with grocery stores.