Covid 19/Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ralyks, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

When EVERYTHING hits the pause button for who-knows-how-long, don't think that you can just unpause however many months later

Forget the doom and gloom of urban decay for a sec, let's focus on companies that are asked to hit pause. Most ain't gonna be able to unpause.

Educated young urban professional renters will run out of money, pack up and go back to wherever, I'm already hearing families everywhere telling their kids to move back in.

Most will never come back.

And if you print money to prop them up, you wipe out their parent's retirement savings and investments instead.... so that won't happen, because older people vote.

So... the hipsters are pissing off back to the midwest or wherever they spawned. That's pretty much guaranteed. And once they marry high school sweethearts or decide the family farm needs their help now that mom's gotten old, they stay, and the companies they worked at back in the coastal cities mostly never reopen at all or fall apart after trying.

Whoops.

Flappydoodle and Cynicanal like this.
  2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Great, I'd rather have that happen than have millions die. Now explain exactly how life expectancy in this country will decline by 20 years thanks to many businesses being closed for a few months.

3. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Read up on what happened in the 90s after the Soviet Union dissolved. Not the politics, the socioeconomics.

That's what happens when a large number of employers go bust and/or stop paying salaries for a few months. Despair sets in, substance abuse skyrockets, domestic violence and petty disputes turning nasty becomes the norm, the unemployed turn to crime, etc.

A whole generation becomes Comptonized.

GoldDragon and viifox like this.
  4. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Experts are saying the peak of this thing should be around May.

I honestly think the best approach at this point is to continue to try and flatten the curve for maybe another month, and then uplift the lockdowns and get people back to work. But this time, we'll be taking sanitary precautions like no one has ever seen in the workplace, especially sending people home if they exhibit any kind of flu like symptoms (yes, i know that you can have the virus and not show any symptoms). Forbidding contact in the working environment alone will probably do wonders. They can also even hire people to constantly sanitize the workplace.

By taking these steps, and enforcing them, i think this might be a win-win scenerio. We get the economy back on its feet, while lowering the spread rate.

But an 18 month (or long term) lockdown is completely insane, and people who are recommending this probably haven't even thought of the severe consquences it will have. If you think the coronavirus is scary, wait till you see what happens to people who succumb to cabin fever, while the US deteriorates to the point of no return.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  5. JoshuaVonFlash

JoshuaVonFlash SSBRO.org regular

Jon Jones just goofed again, think things are back to normal guys!

Dineley and GoldDragon like this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

Some hospitals are talking about not resuscitating COVID-19 patients due to the risk to docs/nurses/hospital staff and other patients/ lack of supplies and a few other major reasons. Sounds callous but losing healthcare workers means the entire system will go to shit and chaos will ensue. I posted an atlantic article earlier in the thread talking about that particular subject.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...XvexeeZvNb-HJ6T17Ywhw_nO7fZadknb6ACnOg37DmFaQ

viifox likes this.
  7. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

First off, your option 1 is impossible. We cannot fully lock down everyone or we would all die of dehydration within a week or so (depending on how much water an individual has stockpiled).

Second, a handful of people in this very thread have argued for your option 2 under the guise that exposure is inevitable (e.g., cynicanal), so we might as well not bother trying to "flatten the curve" so that our healthcare systems can better handle the surge in demand.

Dan Patrick, Lt. Governor of Texas (republican) has suggested it in an interview on Fox News; here a link:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics...px.cnn/video/playlists/this-week-in-politics/

zappatton2 and Choop like this.
  8. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

The other problem with option #2 is if the virus mutates and can reinfect. Or if it gets more virulent.

There are alot of good reasons (unknowns) to not let this spread unchecked.

If it runs rampant in society, it could greatly decrease life expectancy, killing asthmatics and picking off the elderly when they get vulnerable. The flu that we have now is dangerous, imagine a flu with 10x the mortality rate.

I'm not saying that things won't eventually get to #2, but we should try our hardest to stop it.

9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

USMarine75 and zappatton2 like this.
  10. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Wealth is health, unless you think that living in a third-world country is super-healthy.

11. Choop

Choop n______n

I was initially going to reference this guy in my previous post. Like sure, way to speak for all old people. What makes me irate is seeing younger people on social media comments offering that their parents or grandparents "don't mind dying for the economy" as a means to validate ending lockdown measures quickly. It's the most pathetic cowardice, America hasn't even seen the worst of it. Giving up and allowing the virus to run rampant and unchecked just to return to the status quo sets a hugely terrible precedent for the future. I know that a lockdown can't go on for way too long, but there has to be a strategic timeline for managing the response, too.

zappatton2 and tedtan like this.
  12. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

I just hope this shit gets cleared up before tick season or else we're gonna have Corona with Lyme.

13. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Just looked into some staple grains online to stock up some reserves before stimulus checks arrive and everybody makes a run on essentials

Are we STILL acting like hyperinflation isn't a guaranteed fact????

Fucking rice is $5 - 8 / lb where in stock. Buckwheat has soared to $10 - 30 / lb. Oats $5 - 30 / lb. Everywhere else is "maybe in stock in one month". And still marked up anyway.

Welcome to the new reality kids.

Flappydoodle and Cynicanal like this.
  14. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

“I would rather have my children stay home and all of us who are over 50 go in and keep this economy going and working,” he said in comments posted online by Media Matters. “Even if we all get sick, I’d rather die than kill the country.”

- glenn beck saying more dumb shit from the safety of his mansion.

PuriPuriPrisoner and Choop like this.
  15. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

How wealthy was Steve Jobs when he died of cancer?!

StevenC likes this.
  16. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

When Georges St. Pierre tore his ACL at the prime of his career, he basically said you can have all the money in the world, but if you don't have your health, you don't have anything. He's right.

narad, JoshuaVonFlash and bostjan like this.
  17. thraxil

thraxil cylon

USA has now passed China on known Covid 19 cases. Number 1!

Adieu likes this.
  18. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

The mortality difference between US and Italy is really interesting: 1,177 vs 8,215.

They may have been onto something with that older death rate stat.

19. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Our deaths/1m population has also climbed to 4. It was 3 at least since yesterday, and this morning.

20. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

Mortality rate comes with the time...
    You don't die the second day you get a diagnosis.
    USA is now the top 1 in infections while it should be two/three weeks behind Italy and Spain(IIRC)

Adieu likes this.