Covid 19/Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ralyks, Feb 27, 2020.

1. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Lol This is no justification for claiming the WWs caused less misery than the great depression! Of course the depression was bad, and of course the post-WWI condition in Germany was dire, but the fact that people chose to unite doesn't somehow validate everything afterwards as better. It gave them *hope* for something better, but it hardly seems like they came out of it for the better. I doubt if given a crystal ball glimpse of what would become of themselves and their country, that m(any) Germans would have marched to war.

USMarine75 likes this.
  2. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

US has passed 1000 deaths.

Hollowway likes this.
  3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's kinda funny how folks who were all about those "Obamacare Death Panels" have no problem sentencing thousands if not millions of people to death so rich people can horde more money in offshore tax shelters.

4. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

I still don't know who is going to work while the health care system is overrun and collapsed.
    Will the military forces close the access to hospitals when people try to get there because they are sick,not only because of covid,but also another illnesses?
    It will get far worse than it is now and we shouldn't forget the amount of people that have access to guns there...

I might be stupid.

5. MaxOfMetal

This is definitely showing some glaring cracks in our healthcare infrastructure.

But, while I definitely think it's going to get worse before it gets better, I know we have the resources to make it through this. The only barrier right now is poor leadership, though as things get harder to sweep under the rug we'll hopefully see a change there.

We have the manufacturing and training capabilities we just need to dust them off as it's gotten quite rusty.

6. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Regarding the rise of Hitler, what you’re saying is partially true, but it absolutely was not entirely economic. Hitler’s rise was a result of the heavy penalty placed in Germany by the Treaty of Versailles. It wasn’t the depression per se, but the heavy sanctions put upon Germany after the end of WWI that pissed off the Germans. So it was partly economic, but only in as much as that economic hardship was placed by the countries who won the war. There have been oodles of depressed economies, and with rare exception, they don’t lead to world wars. I think we can agree that Hitler’s rise to power is not a template that we can apply to the current situation.

For your second statement, I think it’s a huge stretch to say that every industry is going to die at once, and that nothing will be produced. That’s a huge exaggeration, and makes it difficult to have a debate with you, because there’s a zero percent chance that’s going to happen. But giving a few thousand dollars is not going to cause measurable inflation. What it WILL do is allow John Q. to pay his rent, or mortgage, or auto loan. You want to end a recession? Give people the money they would have had anyway. I mean, I know jack all about economy, but that’s what I’ve read.

Are you of the opinion that no one should get the money? I know that some economists believe that we should, for instance, let the airlines file for Chapter 11. Or are you for giving money to the corporations? For me, I would much prefer not to give the money directly to the corporations, because what we saw in the last bailout is a lot of companies just gave the money to their shareholders via stock buybacks or via executive bonuses. I’d prefer, personally, that we give money to people who are going to spend it, since that’s what makes the economy run. Giving the money to a multimillionaire or billionaire doesn’t put it in circulation. If I’m a restaurant owner, I’d prefer that my customers have money to eat in my restaurant in the month of April or May.

7. MaxOfMetal

8. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

Hollowway likes this.
  9. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Yeah, go ahead, read that article. It points out that we'd have to maintain lockdown until there's a vaccine -- minimum of 18 months -- for it to be effective. That's simply not an option, for a huge variety of reasons.

It's not a question of "our economy or lives". Untold millions are dying no matter what at this point; the cow has left the barn. The question is "untold millions of lives, or untold millions of lives and the worst economic depression ever, the kind that makes the Roman empire falling and Europe entering the dark ages look like a tiny recession".

shadowlife and Flappydoodle like this.
  10. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

For real though. I warned you guys about not taking those die hard Trump/Republican fanatics seriously. It's not that they are so in love with Trump. They just eat up all the propaganda and would die to make life worse for you evil brainwashed libtards. Well they act like it and talk like it right up until the moment it's actually time to die. These politicians have had decades to study leaders like Hitler and how they controlled people. When I see Trump talking about stopping the quarantine no matter the cost, I see Hitler refusing to let his armies surrender and ordering them to fight to the last man. I'm just hoping there will be people in high places that have enough sense like some of Hitler's generals to just ignore him and do the right thing anyway.

11. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I hope that something good comes out of all this when it hopefully ends or settles down. Like people really getting serious about revamping how we live, how we treat each other, our health care system etc, wages etc. If this doesn't do it I'd hate to see what it will take. I hope it doesn't lead to just more control, loss of freedoms and an even worse situation. I hope people don't get even more selfish and brazen with each other. The time for people really doing what's right is centurys overdo.

JoshuaVonFlash likes this.
  12. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Health > Wealth

In other words, if you have your life, you can still earn money to get back on track.

Surveyor 777, zappatton2 and blacai like this.
  13. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

In some ways I hope that it does become bad in the US because I feel the prevailing attitude amongst all looming dangers is, "Okay, I'm just one person, I'll continue to live normally and it won't affect me, and someone else will fix it." You see this with so many things where scientists agree there is a threat, declare the need for action with some limited time to address it, but it never seems to come to pass. Obviously climate change is the obvious one.

It's an unfortunate "tough love" event, but sometimes I feel like people need a wake-up call to realize that sometimes the worst case outcome really does happen, and there's no one to bail you out. Going to the beach during a shelter-in-place order really wasn't a harmless thing, etc. Kind of a "The Watchmen" type scenario where a bad event may be required to point people towards ultimately avoiding a world/civilization-ending one.

XPT707FX, Demiurge, StevenC and 3 others like this.
  14. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

What kind of reductive attitude is this? "We could have people die and be slightly inconvenienced, or we could not be inconvenienced and have way more people die". It's worth noting that if a huge chunk of population dies that'll result in a huge recession too.

PuriPuriPrisoner and XPT707FX like this.
  15. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

France doesn't count coronavirus deceased out of hospitals and there are mistakes in the total sum of affected in Germany. This is not the news, everybody around knows they are doing funeral engineering in the count of the dead bodies.

If anybody believes China figures, he/she is mad as a hatter

But anyway, those are white lies comparing with what we are going to get when the EEUU start to present their figures. A country with 30 million without health insurance, the test is 3000€ and worth nothing knowing you're infected if you can't pay the treatment. 20 million without documentation that won't go to the doctor even feeling they are at death's door or else localization and expulsion of the entire family will be done. The insurance policies don't cover the total amount for the treatment nor to be on sick leave.

With the presidential elections so close, most passings will be due to who knows what? No presidency can bear dozens or (who knows again) hundred of thousands of deaths. Imagine the poor African countries... where they say the "aren't even counted"

Capitalism out of control: The American Way of Death sadly many other countries are buying, subsidiary to that mad fool in your white house... Bolsonaro, Johnson, Orban, Salvini... even in my near-third world country there's a branch of this new wave of fascist politics.

Gods have mercy (not actually)

tedtan and Millul like this.
  16. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Unfortunately, the number of Americans who don't now and likely never will acknowledge dire reality is staggering. Americans want to tout "we the people" yet so many only care about themselves as individuals. The inconvenience of social distancing combined with short attention spans means that no matter what... they'll keep their heads buried in the sand until it's far too late. I mean... there's never been anything close to the severity of this in most of our lifetimes yet there is still defiance throughout so much of the US population.

Even my best friend won't change his habits and considers anything outside of his normal routine ( washing hands frequently, staying away from crowds, limiting food consumption, listening to news broadcasts, etc) "freaking out" and vows that he won't do any of that. It's begun putting a very awkward and noticeable strain on our friendship and I'm not sure that he and I will ever have the same fondness for one another that we used to. It's absolutely sad and unfortunate but he and scores of other Americans will never even TRY to respect the factual information or sound opinions outside of their comfort zone. It's almost like covid-19 is the new "politics and religion" that you don't dare talk about.

zappatton2 likes this.
  17. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

Religious fanatics don't care about facts. They believe in magic and love leaders with big personalities. That's why they make great Republican cannon fodder.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 8:07 AM
  18. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Pin this post. We're definitely getting a large galactic squid monster dropped on us next year at this rate.

19. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

seems like the governors of FL, MS and LA are really dropping the ball. MS in particular.