Covid 19/Coronavirus

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
In 2017 my cousin moved from Austin to Boston, from a 3 bed waste of space McMansion to a 3 bed 2 storey house in Forest Hills which was about a third the size and twice the price. Boston housing is just nuts.

That said, Boston is a far nicer place to be 99% of the time except food and sports is worse.
Them's fighting words.:spock:

Our Mexican food scene still lags, but HAS gotten better, at least. :/ It's a gap for me though.

Demiurge

Intrepid Jackass
Reaction score
Boston is one of the best sport cities in the US, between Red Sox, Celtics, Patriots, and Bruins. You're out of your mind.
Yeah, but Boston sports is like extreme metal: while beloved by its own fans, it is disturbing and odious to people on the outside.

ArtDecade

Blurry Eyes
Reaction score

La Posada, empanadas + chips + macaroni and a slice of chocolate cake. Thank me later.
Don't make me ship up to Boston and toss your wooden leg into the harbor.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
La Posada, empanadas + chips + macaroni and a slice of chocolate cake. Thank me later.
Happy to give it a try, but I thought we had decent mexican food out here until I spent some time in California and Arizona and pretty much anywhere near the border. The fact you list "macaroni" as a recommended dish is not a great sign though. :lol:

It's hardly authentic, but I like Lone Star Taco Bar for tex mex, and bar tacos or tortas at Ole are pretty good. Barra captures a lot of the feel of a hole-in-the-wall Mexico City bar, and they just revamped their menu so I've been meaning to check them out again too.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, but Boston sports is like extreme metal: while beloved by its own fans, it is disturbing and odious to people on the outside.
Eh, it's part of the culture. You either love Boston, or you love to hate Boston. but it's hard to think of many cities where the sports culture is objectively "worse" than Boston's. :lol: It's a huge part of what's in the city's blood.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Boston is one of the best sport cities in the US, between Red Sox, Celtics, Patriots, and Bruins. You're out of your mind.
As opposed to where else, I guess?

I grew up in Detroit, which had a couple good teams but also the Lions. I then moved to Indianapolis, which only had football and basketball, and virtually no one ever even thought about baseball as being a sport for some reason, and now I live in a tiny town in Vermont, where the biggest sporting event within 100 miles is a high school football game.

But everything about Boston is expen$ive. Food is more expensive, housing is crazy expensive, taxes are some of the highest in the nation, utilities are all way higher than average.

If you know what's good in the region, you can always get great food. Austin is the place for tex-mex BBQ. I would not recommend going there to try New England Clam Chowder nor Lobster Rolls, and probably wouldn't expect even the basic Italian dishes in Austin to stand up to the quality I'd expect in Boston. Every major city in the USA has its "thing," so it's great to ask locals what's good and maybe also ask what's not so good. Imagine ordering Alaskan Snow Crab in Billings Montana or an avocado panini in Fairbanks Alaska. Probably not going to be the freshest ingredients.

I'm slow to post, so there's a lot of chatter about this...

Happy to give it a try, but I thought we had decent mexican food out here until I spent some time in California and Arizona and pretty much anywhere near the border. The fact you list "macaroni" as a recommended dish is not a great sign though. :lol:

It's hardly authentic, but I like Lone Star Taco Bar for tex mex, and bar tacos or tortas at Ole are pretty good. Barra captures a lot of the feel of a hole-in-the-wall Mexico City bar, and they just revamped their menu so I've been meaning to check them out again too.

Don't you put everything in macaroni down there, though? :lol:

Eh, it's part of the culture. You either love Boston, or you love to hate Boston. but it's hard to think of many cities where the sports culture is objectively "worse" than Boston's. :lol: It's a huge part of what's in the city's blood.

Even way up here, technically closer to Montreal than Boston, geographically, the love for the Boston teams is assumed by all parties. Nearly every person I know here has at least one piece of apparel with a Boston team logo on it that gets worn regularly.

But the rivalry with the Yankees is something else. I think that probably the most controversial item to wear in public would be a Yankees hat. You'd be safer wearing a MAGA hat to a Bernie Sander's rally.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
But the rivalry with the Yankees is something else. I think that probably the most controversial item to wear in public would be a Yankees hat. You'd be safer wearing a MAGA hat to a Bernie Sander's rally.
...though, I'm not sure about vice versa. :lol:

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
XPB_1115806_1200px.jpg

Bodes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Update:

Visited a cardologist yesterday. Got some good news, meh news and some more info.

The good:
- He is a mad Aussie Rules fan and our teams are playing each other in the first round of the finals next week (ok, weird way to start, but let's get back on track)
- He has seen / is seeing a number of patients who have similar issues to me and appears that those who are at the 9 month stage of this crap are not showing any signs of physical heart deterioration *phew*
- He wants me to start walking for exercise daily , it may mean I push too hard and have to take a day or two to recover, but this doesnt seem to distress the heart much 'long term' *fingers crossed*

The meh:
- Looks like people in similar situations have this crap going on for 9-12 months. I am only 4 months into this. *cries a little*
- I got to be careful to not keep an elevated heart rate for too long, this may cause irrepairable damage
- There is curently no treatment. It appears my body needs a hard reset, but they don't know where the reset button is.

Some info about what long COVID, granted this is what the experts are thinking due to these issues being so new:
- There seems to be a link between people who had a reaction to a vaccine and having long-term afftects due to catching covid. Sounds pretty obvious as the vaccines are trying to work the same part of your immune system that the virus attacks.
- There are various studies looking into this form of long-covid. However, Australia is doing nothing.
- For every one person in my situation, there are 1000+ people whohave little to no symptoms at all

I had an awful sleep last night, quite daunting to think I may have these issues for another year or more.
I know there are people who had/have it much worse than I do, but I am a negative person by nature, so have taken that news a little hard. I just want to play with my son and not have to rest within a few minutes.
Maybe in a couple of days, once I properly digest what I have been told, I will start to look more positively at it all. Maybe after a few days of getting back to walking and getting the blood flowing?

Anyways, stay healthy everyone. Good luck to those who are experiencing long-covid, or having a crap time during your isolation period.