Covid 19/Coronavirus

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
At least here where I live, any talk of second boosters ( media generated or otherwise) is seemingly nonexistent. I feel like talk of covid in the news including vaccinations/ boosters, has fallen way down the ratings priority list with all the other hot topics currently circulating.

I'd also venture a guess that we are now into a phase of 'very little long-term statistical data' regarding efficacy of the second booster. Not sure if that's actually correct but at least it appears to me that the CDC just doesn't have too much confidence to be pushing the #2 boost too hard right now.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Just FYI, Clapton did get his first dose. He became antivax because he felt sick for a few days from AstraZeneca. So he may have some protection, but that was over a year ago.

Not that I wish him any good will.

Bodes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I caught COVID just over a month ago now (16th April) and only just returned to work this week.
While positive, it was like having an annoying cold. Like one of those where you think 'maybe I should take a day or two off work' kinda level.

The day after my 7 days isolation, went downhill. Could barely breathe some days. Bad heart palpitations - 160bpm + after taking the 20 steps to the toilet and coughing my lungs up.

Had the ambulance over twice, once for barely being able to breathe, the other time I thought I was having a heart attack - they took me to hospital for the heart, but they diagnosed that as a strained muscle behind the rib cage, right in front if the heart, which was pulling on the heart. F'n scary.

Now back at work, I'm a teacher, I actually do not remember any of my students' names or even their faces, apart from if I have taught them in previous years. I work at good school, so the students have been really kind to me, and can see that I still know the content, so are cutting me some slack for not knowing their names.

Every time I try to think of a student's name or remember if I did something last term gives me stinging headaches.

I'm knackered. Have massive brain fogs. Haven't walked the dogs for a month, wife has been bloody awesome and changed her morning workouts/running schedule to take the dogs out everyday.

My arms look like I am a druggie, have had so many blood tests to see if they could find anything. Everything comes back negative and all tests have my blood chemical levels come back well within normal ranges.

Let's just say I am so happy I have such a great wife and family. They certainly make going through this crap easier. I have them to help me out.

Stay safe out there everyone. Long covid can take a long walk off a short pier.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I caught COVID just over a month ago now (16th April) and only just returned to work this week.
While positive, it was like having an annoying cold. Like one of those where you think 'maybe I should take a day or two off work' kinda level.

The day after my 7 days isolation, went downhill. Could barely breathe some days. Bad heart palpitations - 160bpm + after taking the 20 steps to the toilet and coughing my lungs up.

Had the ambulance over twice, once for barely being able to breathe, the other time I thought I was having a heart attack - they took me to hospital for the heart, but they diagnosed that as a strained muscle behind the rib cage, right in front if the heart, which was pulling on the heart. F'n scary.

Now back at work, I'm a teacher, I actually do not remember any of my students' names or even their faces, apart from if I have taught them in previous years. I work at good school, so the students have been really kind to me, and can see that I still know the content, so are cutting me some slack for not knowing their names.

Every time I try to think of a student's name or remember if I did something last term gives me stinging headaches.

I'm knackered. Have massive brain fogs. Haven't walked the dogs for a month, wife has been bloody awesome and changed her morning workouts/running schedule to take the dogs out everyday.

My arms look like I am a druggie, have had so many blood tests to see if they could find anything. Everything comes back negative and all tests have my blood chemical levels come back well within normal ranges.

Let's just say I am so happy I have such a great wife and family. They certainly make going through this crap easier. I have them to help me out.

Damn dude, I just have randomly this week had a bit of a dry cough / windedness / heart palpitations thing going on (I started a walk challenge thing this week too so maybe I'm just adjusting), so I'm a little concerned. But definitely hoping it doesn't spiral out that hardcore. I'm not sure that sounds like covid or just general body trauma (though caused by covid and some stronger than usual conditions it seems). When was your last booster?

Bodes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Damn dude, I just have randomly this week had a bit of a dry cough / windedness / heart palpitations thing going on (I started a walk challenge thing this week too so maybe I'm just adjusting), so I'm a little concerned. But definitely hoping it doesn't spiral out that hardcore. I'm not sure that sounds like covid or just general body trauma (though caused by covid and some stronger than usual conditions it seems). When was your last booster?

Maybe just test to be certain. If it comes back negative, maybe see your GP to make sure all is good. Doesn't sound like something you should ignore.

First dose - AZ - June 2021 felt like absolute poo and went to hospital
Second dose - AZ - September 2021, absolutely nothing, bare slight sore at injection site.
Booster - Pfiser - January 2022 zero reactions at all. Just under 3 months before contracting covid.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Maybe just test to be certain. If it comes back negative, maybe see your GP to make sure all is good. Doesn't sound like something you should ignore.

First dose - AZ - June 2021 felt like absolute poo and went to hospital
Second dose - AZ - September 2021, absolutely nothing, bare slight sore at injection site.
Booster - Pfiser - January 2022 zero reactions at all. Just under 3 months before contracting covid.
In Japan it's pretty hard to get tested actually. None of the infrastructure most of the world has - it was like mindblowing to visit the US again and have this walk in tests at like 3 places in my tiny town of 10k people.

But damn, you're way more up-to-date than I am at this point. Crazy to get a reaction that hard with a booster so recent.

Bodes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In Japan it's pretty hard to get tested actually. None of the infrastructure most of the world has - it was like mindblowing to visit the US again and have this walk in tests at like 3 places in my tiny town of 10k people.

But damn, you're way more up-to-date than I am at this point. Crazy to get a reaction that hard with a booster so recent.

I get 5 rapid tests free from the government every fortnight and test twice a week. We have so many students away with covid so need to make sure I was ok. Caught covid at an outdoor sporting event, along with about 30 other people.

Weird to think about the vaccinations. Did they stop me from dying? Did they do nothing and this is just how my body reacts? Some really scary days I had.

It is difficult to get PCR tests here. Most of the time you line up and they just give you a free rapid test and tell you to go home and test. Pretty much have to have a doctor tell you to get a PCR if you return a negative rapid test but have typical symptoms for covid.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
It kinda feels like people around here have gone full "it's over now" mode. Mostly because I went to get some groceries, saw a guy with no mask in the store, was ready to be mad at that guy, then noticed I was the only one who still had one. Apparently the requirement went away on the weekend and I hadn't noticed. And of course everyone threw the masks out as soon as possible.

Feels like a pretty dramatic difference - in Ontario I got the impression that everyone was unsure if they should ditch the masks, and lots of people still wear them inside. In Quebec though? Day one - they're right out the window. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
It kinda feels like people around here have gone full "it's over now" mode. Mostly because I went to get some groceries, saw a guy with no mask in the store, was ready to be mad at that guy, then noticed I was the only one who still had one.

I had an almost identical experience today and was just coming here to post it. In my case, it was just that I was at the grocery store and noticed that I was literally the only person in there wearing a mask. The mandate was removed here quite a while ago, but there remained at least a sizable minority of people still wearing masks in stores. I think the nice weather that we've had in the last week just triggered something in people and they collectively decided they were done.

LordIronSpatula

A series of interconnected fortune cookies.
Reaction score

This sounds a lot like what's happening to a friend of mine. He was up-to-date on his vaccines when he caught Covid in January. He had an almost asymptomatic case that spiraled into heart palpitations and anxiety, then later brain fog, fatigue and insomnia. The heart stuff went away after a few weeks but he still has to avoid overextending himself or he'll relapse on the other stuff. It has been a painfully slow, long, and uneven recovery but he is at least recovering. The main thing that's helped has been rest and just moving everything he can off his plate.

Hope you're able to get some good rest. Summer break is coming, right?

LordIronSpatula

A series of interconnected fortune cookies.
Reaction score
Being born in the southern Hemisphere, I can't say this didn't give me a little chuckle :)
Ah my bad! Misremembered Bodes Guitars as being located in North America for some reason...

Bodes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This sounds a lot like what's happening to a friend of mine. He was up-to-date on his vaccines when he caught Covid in January. He had an almost asymptomatic case that spiraled into heart palpitations and anxiety, then later brain fog, fatigue and insomnia. The heart stuff went away after a few weeks but he still has to avoid overextending himself or he'll relapse on the other stuff. It has been a painfully slow, long, and uneven recovery but he is at least recovering. The main thing that's helped has been rest and just moving everything he can off his plate.

Hope you're able to get some good rest. Summer break is coming, right?

Good luck to your friend, it really does suck.
I wish for a long holiday. I'm Australian. So our 2 week winter break starts the end of June, so 5 and a bit weeks away.
I am now sleeping ok. No such thing as much down time with a 2 year old, but wife is doing more than her fair share to let me sit down when I need to.

Thorsday7

A Real Beefeater
Reaction score
I'm drawing a pattern of people who have gotten really sick are people who got vaccinated.

I never got vaccinated - after having an exemption approved from my employer - and I never got sick. Same with many friends and family members.

I will say this definitely isn't over. The whole pandemic thing. Anybody following what Bill Gates has been up to this entire time? I swear our reality is stranger and much more infuriating than any fiction.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
I'm drawing a pattern of people who have gotten really sick are people who got vaccinated.

I never got vaccinated - after having an exemption approved from my employer - and I never got sick. Same with many friends and family members.
selection_bias.png

Thorsday7

A Real Beefeater
Reaction score
@StevenC I am indifferent to the fact such conjecture brings you and people like you satisfaction.

I, on the other hand, am not satisfied with being obedient for the sake of billionaires' bottom line and a false sense of security.

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I never got vaccinated

What made you decide not to get it? It's interesting... at this point I've seen people get the vaccine and not get it. I've seen people get the vaccine, get it, and be fine. I've seen people get the vaccine and get pretty sick. I've seen unvaccinated people not get it. I've seen unvaccinated people get it and be fine. I've seen unvaccinated people get it and get sick. I've seen plenty of responsible precautions taken by both vaccinated and unvaccinated people. Even more interesting is I had my annual with my primary care physician last week and see advised against me getting the booster. Maybe it's all those Monsters and trenbologna sandwiches.

Thorsday7

A Real Beefeater
Reaction score
@jaxadam Personal choice. Why do vaccinated people care about others' personal choices?

@StevenC If this is a political and current events subforum, why make others' personal character the focal point of the argument.

Let's talk about Fauci and Gates.

Latest posts