Covid 19/Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ralyks, Feb 27, 2020.

1. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

First off, I thought the virus wasn't real or it wasn't a real pandemic so there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Second, vaccines are typically intramuscular injections.

2. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

The people who talk about natural masculinity tend to be some of the least masculine people. It was like when republicans were calling trump an alpha male. The dude is 75% big macs and has zero history of doing anything athletic and brave. It's just people obsessing and protecting their own shortcomings.

3. StevenC

Actually, Trump thinks doing athletics will kill you faster because the body is like a battery or some nonsense like that.

4. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

It's true! My heart only has a finite amount of beats, and I ain't wastin' 'em running around the block in a bunch of Lulu Lemon!

5. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Got second shot of Pfizer today and had to put my guitar down almost immediately because of muscle pain. Damn it feels irritating... couldn't sleep on my left side in couple of nights after first doze.

Bodes and StevenC like this.
  6. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

bus-you-missed-frustrated-you-must-be.jpg

Dineley likes this.
  7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I'm totally down with bringing back masculinity

you good with wigs and tights?

[​IMG]

If you don't dress like this every day you are just a cuck.

8. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

That's the lamestream media depiction of the founding fathers. Don't start trying to tell me a bunch a soy boys created this country!

Dineley, Crungy, StevenC and 2 others like this.
  9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

[citation needed]

Says the person who is trying to argue with ~15 other people at the same time whilst not addressing any particular thing anyone is saying.

A medical company could be scummy and still make a life-saving drug. There's no reason why either of those is prerequisite to the other. I never defended medical companies.

I don't see where anyone here has defended any major corporations.

I think that we don't know whether they did or not. Either way, what does that have to do with people in Japan wearing masks at any point in time prior to 2020?!

The "dots" aren't even on the same pages as the picture you're trying to draw for us.

This is the only point you make that I feel warrants an in depth discussion.

I'm not 100% familiar with all of these foreign policies. But, let's focus on the UK for a moment, since I am familiar with that one. The idea moving forward is that, if a person is fully vaccinated and can prove it so, that person will not have to quarantine when entering the UK. If the person is not vaccinated or does not prove such to the satisfaction of the UK authorities, it's 2 weeks of quarantine. I suppose the question is whether this is an infringement upon the rights of others. I think that, if we were to assume that the SARS-CoV-2 virus is airborne transmissible and is the cause of a disease that could potentially debilitate or kill an otherwise healthy person, then this vaccine or quarantine when travelling abroad policy is common sense justifiable, since not having it would otherwise infringe upon the rights of those who do not travel. From the moral perspective, if the UK government truly believes those assumptions to be true, then they are morally obligated to put such a policy in place to protect their subjects, as is the sole purpose of a government (protecting their subjects from a deadly outside threat). We have now heaps of evidence that SARS-CoV-2 is airborne transmissible. We have a ton of evidence that the virus causes a potentially debilitating or lethal disease. So, it'd be upon someone claiming this policy to be unjustifiable (you) to provide compelling evidence to the contrary of those things.

10. StevenC

This dude just came into this thread insulting all of us expecting us to bow down to his lack of sources?

zappatton2 and CovertSovietBear like this.
  11. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

Why not "Fuck Mississippi?" More than one state has vaccine requirements for school. Let them biases out.

12. profwoot

profwoot SS.org Regular

Thorsday might be the best example of the Dunning-Kruger effect I've ever seen. Granted, I don't hang out on anti-reality fora so he's probably not actually exceptional. Still, wow.

13. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Wait a second. The guy still sporting a 90s Emo haircut and trying to grow facial hair is the savior of natural masculinity? :wub2:

Adieu likes this.
  14. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Yes, I agree. Part of one of the Dunning and Kruger papers was about logic, specifically. Since the subjects taking the logic puzzle tests did not know the correct answers, they believed that they were completing them with solid logic, and had no idea that the thought process they were using to answer the logic puzzles was devoid of any consistent logic.

But there's a lot more going on here than just that. These conspiracy theories are overwhelmingly passed on from person to person and not independently worked out by their adherents. So it's also an example of Dawkin's original memetics theories from the 70's. Originally a meme was an idea or behaviour that one person would observe another person doing and then copy, without understanding the idea or behaviour itself.

There's also quite a bit of classical logical fallacy happening. A chiropractor says eat meat and follow some other very simple lifestyle choices and you'll be immune from disease. People point out that this is contrary to basically all medical evidence. Conspiracy-dude's rebuttal is:

1. Restate the point.
    2. Ad hominem anyone who disagrees (in the most bizarre way possible)
    3. Appeal to authority (whose authority has already been debunked anyway)
    4. Non sequitor
    5. Begging the question
    I could go on, but these are pretty much copy-paste examples out of the logic and rhetoric textbook.

Using faulty logic, of course, doesn't make the statement untrue, it just makes the statement unsupported by truth. I think that other people on the site might be too quick to conflate those two things. But this guy's arguments are so full of nonsense that >90% of them fall under the concept of not-even-wrong. There are some things, like, "did the virus come from a lab?" that we simply don't know, and he might be right about that, but, since the "logic" he used to arrive at the conclusion that
    is so full of holes that it's more absent than substantive, whether he's right about that or not is no better than flipping a coin.

A lot of the stuff he's alluding to but not really saying in any sort of direct way is just really dangerous stuff. Vaccines, in general, are not killing us. Eating meat does not make a person immune to disease. Governments enacting policies to control the spread of disease is not tyranny. These are facts that we can be about as sure of as any facts at all. To debate them effectively would require abandonment of axioms that would also consequently nullify any point in having any sort of debate anyway, therefore, they are self-defeating arguments.

fantom, Bodes, Xaios and 6 others like this.
  15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

On some levels it's just frustrating that dealing with a pandemic has to be made that much worse 'cause every idiot with internet access needs to broadcast their :2c: on the matter to everyone whether they want to hear it or not.

16. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

My wife just texted me saying that she's short staffed due to four people being out with covid... two confirmed anyway. And two others showing symptoms/ waiting for test results. Central Texas is a hot bed of active cases now. We had a chance but as expected, there's just too damn many selfish, ignorant, hypocrites that want things to get back to normal yet refuse to do what needs to be done in order to get back to normal... truly insane.

Been a roller coaster of emotions over the past 18 months... terrified I'd get it, then coming to terms with it all, then hope, then relief... and now accepting that I'll probably get it due to completely arrogant douche-bags like our latest troll in this thread.

Hopefully if I catch this Delta variant ( or even worse mutation) it won't be severe enough for me to require hospitalization since I've at least been vaccinated. I never stopped masking-up and at this point with so many self-entitled conservative snowflakes all around, seems I'll simply have to remain vigilant. Oh well... Suckin' it up as usual since the anti-vax crowd can't be bothered to behave responsibly.

Checked today to see if I'd sprouted a vagina... to my disappointment, not yet.

Bodes, StevenC, BlackMastodon and 3 others like this.
  17. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

Speaking of natural masculinity, I wear a mini skirt better than most women I know. My ass looks so fucking good in one, telling me that isn't God's will is like saying God didn't want the Mona Lisa.

Also, Vegan Bitch sounds like a kickass grindcore band.

Back on topic, my life is continuing on the contradictory trajectory of COVID being great for me. Two days ago I got an unexpectedly large bump to my credit limit, and with 12 months of rent relief on the way I went down to a car dealership to see if I could get anything (no credit and little savings the last couple times I tried).

This time my credit was higher (666 to be precise, Hail Stan) and I had the ability to make a much bigger downpayment and ended up with a 22k mile 2019 Nissan Rogue right when everyone is running out of cars.

Bodes, Xaios, StevenC and 5 others like this.
  18. Crungy

Crungy SS.org Regular

Like Betty White said, those things can take a pounding

Bodes and High Plains Drifter like this.
  19. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

You should, like, writes papers, bro.

Also "chew your chode" is a great insult and one that I will definitely use.

Drew likes this.
  20. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Can we maybe just stop feeding the troll? This thread used to be a pretty good source of news and insight on the pandemic, now it's just page after page of insults and homeopathic bullshit.