Covid 19/Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ralyks, Feb 27, 2020.

1. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

yup, i am crazy boomer bc i don't agree with the echo chamber. dig in folks, your way is right and everyone else is wrong and stupid. the echo chamber will always make you feel better and give your egos some well needed stroking. the echo chamber will def solve all of our problems as long as we quickly insult and run off anyone who might have a different opinion. i'll even admit i have been guilty of this behavior and to be honest am embarrassed about it.

i'll see myself out, doesn't seem like any other opinions are welcome here so i'll let y'all just keep patting yourselves on the backs falling over agreeing with each other. the gear parts of this site are really awesome, so much knowledge and helpful people so i'll just stick to those threads moving forward.

it is shitty to say but people were going to die either way. its a pandemic and we had to learn on the fly. sending positive cases back into nursing homes was probably not the best idea along with many other things that could have been handled better. the US was never going to pull off a full on lock down like some countries have done but if you really think you are smarter than everyone else and your way is the best and only way there really is nothing i would ever be able to say to change your already closed minds. go back and look through my posts, my opinions have actually evolved over time by observing, listening to opposing viewpoints, asking questions and keeping an open mind which i guess is not really allowed here so whatever.

watson503 likes this.
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I mean, this rant is practically taping episodes of Bonanza while the VCR flashes "12:00".

Jonathan20022, Dineley, narad and 2 others like this.
  3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

absolutely untrue. there's enough evidence that if people got their shit together this could have been taken care of in 3 months with no vaccine needed.

Jonathan20022 and zappatton2 like this.
  4. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

Your opinion reads like "People will die, and as long as I can do what I want to do, I'm willing to risk people dying".

I'm sick of all this too. We all feel like we've lost time that can never be made up. But as hospitals across the world continue to struggle with how many people are deathly ill with this virus, we can't be too careful.

5. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

You'd have to admit, though, that there's more than a few miles between wanting to keep working from home and wanting restrictions to continue so this can be.

In fact, it's virtually a whole other matter. At least in my line of work, positions either have some WFH days as a perk if they're not fully remote at many companies. The thought is that if it is shown that the work can be done remotely, then why require that a position 'live' in an office? The same company that laid me offer years back because they wanted certain jobs to be in specific geographical locations has pulled a total 180 in favor of remote work. It's hard for other companies to put the genie back into the bottle when asking everyone to return, knowing what their competition offers and that the employees know they could offer it, too. My company has announced that they're reviewing to see which positions could become permanent WFH- not out of future virus fears but because there's no need to have every position report to a physical location.

vilk likes this.
  6. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

ya these two situations have almost nothing to do with each other.

If anything at least from a lot of companies and people I know in i.t. this whole thing has shown that a lot of work can be done from home. Slack and unified product flow boards are much more efficient than having to slog into meetings.

if you can be as efficient wfh then there's no reason companies wouldn't allow this.

The only downside is that...if there's no locational requirement for your job...and if they figure out that there's some temporal requirement for your job...you're going to lose your job to someone in India.

Demiurge likes this.
  7. Demiurge

Luckily, with the particulars of my job and the need to be in the region, I don't have to worry about that, but there is certainly that downside with making a job a little too portable.

8. MFB

MFB Banned

I woke up feeling like a sack of bricks this morning. Went back to bed multiple times between 630 and 815, didn't think it'd take that much out of me; I kept wanting to get up but my body just went into auto shutdown and said no for me. I then proceeded to dress in gym pants, a cable knot sweater and my beanie because I felt cold without being sick.

Took some ibuprofen and ate some food around 10AM, started to take some of the edge off and then it's gotten slightly better as time goes on.

I hadn't heard any stories about the J&J one, but I only know one person who had it, but compared to what I've heard, this seems mild.

StevenC and Drew like this.
  9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

With all due respect...

Your contributions in this thread, at least for the last several months, possibly longer and I just did a better job tuning you out, have been very focused on how covid, for lack of a better word, inconveniences you. You think you look dumb in a mask, so you don't want to wear one. You go into the office because you like socializing, and seem to be judging the employee who left because they wanted her to return to the office. You think it's unfair that Michigan, which let's be honest was THE hotspot in the US, was tightening Covid restrictions while Texas was relaxing them. You're now jealous of Florida for doing the same, and accusing anyone who disagrees with you of panicking and saying the "sky is falling."

While you're doing this, you're also decrying "echo chambers" and saying people need to stop being divided and "come together." In context, I can only interpret that as "come together, and fully support the things I already agree with, rather than being divided, and continuing to disagree with me."

I'll be honest. If you were to get covid, spend a couple weeks on a ventilator, and die, that'd be pretty shitty, and I'd feel sorry for you. But, at the end of the day, it also wouldn't really impact my life at all. If this was as simple as letting you run whatever risks you were comfortable with, and if you had to pay the piper then so be it, then whatever, I wouldn't lose much sleep about it.

But, it's not. You're still in one of the US Covid hotspots, and while the same containment measures you've been decrying have done some good and have led to declining casecounts, you're still seeing more covid cases per capita than anywhere else in the country, more than double the national rate and a full 25% over the next highest state, Colorado. Your state is fighting a far more contagious variant, the UK mutation, than most of the rest of the country, and if that strain were to make significant footholds in other parts of the country, we'd be FUCKED. As it stands, with the high case rates you're still having, we're running an unacceptable risk of that strain mutating further and becoming even more dangerous (which is what happened in India, who a couple months ago was congratulating themselves believing the worst was over, and are on track to break 500,000 confirmed new cases daily any day now, and the underlying case rate is probably already double that due to inadequate testing).

You don't stop fighting, in a baseball game, a war, or against a pandemic, at the first sight the tide has turned and you may be launching a comeback. You stop fighting when you've won - the fat lady's sung, your enemies are crushed, you see them driven before you, and you hear the lamentations of their women and children, or when the disease is beat back to the point that community transmission is no longer a risk.

And if that inconveniences your way of life, well, if you guys fuck this up for the rest of us you're going to be inconveniencing a whole fuck of a lot of other people. This isn't about you anymore. Grow a set and pitch in for the good of the country.

And, for the love of god, if you're one of these "vax-hesitant" folks, just go and get the fucking shot. It works, and I'm sick of not going to concerts or bars and having all my races cancelled but I'm also not so selfish that I'm just going to strap a giant fucking "Mission Accomplished" banner off the nearest aircraft carrier and play make-believe.

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

My sister got the J&J shot. It knocked her on her ass, too. I don't know how it compares in that respect to Moderna, but Pfizer has a lower mRNA dose than Moderna and symptoms have generally been milder from my highly-unscientific-butl-large survey. The good news is you're very nearly out the other side, and it beats the shit out of getting covid. :lol:

StevenC likes this.
  11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

All I know is, that Moderna shot is no joke. Everyone at the plant that's gotten it has been sick for days. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the company offering three sick days to anyone vaccinated for "recovery". :lol:

Mathemagician and StevenC like this.
  12. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

Getting second moderna Thursday. Contacting HR regarding possible "recovery" days.

:lol:

I already took a few days off for it just in case. If I'm not sick, I've got a new guitar to futz with, or should by then. *REFRESHES TRACKING*

13. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

I'm sincerely glad that some of you might be able to have a day or two off after receiving your 2nd dose. I had very minimal side effects but ya never know how it's going to effect you.

On a related note- we're supposed to have our new bed delivered on the same day that my wife gets her 2nd Moderna dose. She'll be two days into her five day vacation at that time so she should have plenty of time to recover if she winds up with more pronounced side effects. I hope that I'll be able to get this new bed all set up for her prior to her experiencing any discomfort from the vaccine. She's so excited right now and so deserving... 2nd dose, new bed, and vacation incoming next week!

14. Demiurge

I almost regret not putting in for time off after my 2nd shot, but really a searing headache and feeling like shit sound a lot like normal work conditions.

Wuuthrad likes this.
  15. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Anecdotally, it seems like most of the people with reactions that I've heard/read about, where they felt "a bit" to "pretty" ill, were from Moderna and J&J. I guess we lucked out with the Pfizer. Stupid us, we accepted a custom order from my GF's etsy store for a lot of an item for gift bags. Making it requires heavy lifting, working in the sun, and wearing a full-on half-face filtered 3M respirator, and it needed to be turned around over the weekend for shipment on Monday...and we were getting our shots on Friday. Ha! Thankfully, we lucked out and had minimal-if-any side effects. I felt a bit "off" on Saturday, but that could just be that I was hyper aware of anything that felt sub-optimal, and could also have been a little under-hydrated, or any other number of things that I don't normally pay close attention to.

On Sunday we sold at a small 1-block street fair, in San Francisco's "The Castro". Every single person was wearing a mask unless they were eating and drinking. Even the 4 guys who were naked except for flip-flops, their little dick-kerchief, baseball cap, sunglasses, and their masks.

16. MFB

MFB Banned

This is the first thing in MONTHS that actually straight up forced me to eat food before noon, and by food I mean something more than the protein shake I have for lunch. Pretty quickly during quarantine, due to the lack of kitchen at my old apt. and just laziness to cook in the communal kitchen, I switched to intermittent fasting and doing a shake for lunch at 12 on the dot.

By 9:45 this morning I ate two biscuits, then had three Eggos at noon, and some cookies roughly an hour ago - and the more I eat (plus pop ibuprofen) the better I've been feeling; which isn't usually how being "sick" works, but I'll take it to be back in action tomorrow.

17. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Just eating that alone would probably make me feel like I had the flu.

18. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

19. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Flashbacks to my dad rotating in his arm chair to check the cushion creases: "Where's the clicker??"

Jonathan20022 and Drew like this.
  20. MFB

MFB Banned

I mean, I'm a fat fuck (now slightly less due to OMAD and IF but still) so it didn't really make a dent; and my body was basically in panic mode thinking we were dying so I was just giving it whatever signal it fired off to shut it up/speed it up back to normal. I honestly didn't have the realization until I agreed to the shot what it would do to me today, but in for a penny, in for a pound and all.