Covid 19/Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ralyks, Feb 27, 2020.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Given how people nitpick and deconstruct and intentional take things out of context, etc etc etc forever, basically any message you said to the entire country is going to destructive in some sense, according to someone. There's enough "we're not through this yet" messaging out there that the only people who are going to take this as a free pass are the ones who were only listening selectively to begin with.

The pandemic is (excuse the mild pun) no longer novel - it's been over a year, there's no excuses anymore for people to jump from ignorance to the most convenient conclusions.

2. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

There's nothing destructive about cautious messaging, only passive state enforcement. America was never ready to compromise it's lifestyle for their own and others' safety, and it's as grossly apparent as ever that that is the case. I have to disagree also, we need more bleak messaging and implied dangers to keep people alert. You make the point that the selective listeners were going to act of their own will anyways, but this is confirmation for hundreds of thousand others who were on the fence.

There's another new strain of this thing absolutely ravaging India, and as far as I'm concerned no one can guarantee that variant hasn't landed state-side already.

I'm not taking any chances, and I'm keeping my habits up. I might ease up in the next year or two, but I'm overweight (attempting to fix that) and I value my long term livelihood over thinking this is over naively.

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  3. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

I agree with everything else you said, but after this long, was anyone actually still on the fence about this? It seems like practically everyone made up their minds a long time ago. All this really does is give ammunition to people who were already probably not observing lockdown measures to begin with.

vilk likes this.
  4. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

How come the country was able to prevent me from smoking wherever and whenever I want. But can’t get its shit together for like 6 months so this pandemic gets handled.

5. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

Let's be honest, we couldn't get it together for two weeks up front as we claimed we were gonna. Mild inconvenience is clearly tantamount to stomping on our necks. According to certain folks at any rate.

zappatton2 likes this.
  6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

It's not like stopping people from smoking everywhere was an overnight change, and tons of people still do it anyway. People have been arguing about the rights to smoke for ages. People still argue about it. Now vaping is part of that whole argument. I dunno who we're kidding, nicotine won that war.

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Not really. No one smokes anymore compared to how they used to. It's actually kind of amazing how well the campaigns to reduce smoking worked.

I remember in the 90's fucking everyone smoked everywhere, and it was even worse in the 80's.

It's not all doom and gloom.

spudmunkey, Dineley and zappatton2 like this.
  8. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

are you kidding me? smokers are like lepers in the states now.

9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Maybe it's different here. As far as I can tell, we have a few fewer smokers here, but instead we have TONS of people vaping instead.

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'd actually been seeing it come back a little bit lately, at least before 2020. I'll be curious if I see a lot more people smoking when things normalize a bit again.

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

For me, I think where the messaging is a little confusing, is the focus is kind of the reverse of what I'd have rather seen - "PEOPLE WHO ARE VACCINATED DON'T NEED MASKS OUTDOORS!!!" ...except when they're in public and within 6 feet of others and cant socially distance. I think lots of people will hear the first part and tune out the second, whereas starting backwards, "when vaccinated people are not in public and not within 6 feet of other, potentially unvaccinated people, and are able to effectively social distance, they can take their masks off."

12. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I've also noticed a MAJOR decrease in cigarette smoking the past few years. I feel like only one or two friends or family.kembers I know that smoked cigarettes still do.

Pot, on the other hand, especially with the Pandemic and now that it's legal here in NY.... I have a lot of new smoking buddies.

zappatton2 likes this.
  13. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

/cue jokes about French people and smoking.

zappatton2 likes this.
  14. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

CDC has updated the mask guidelines-
    49172AF8-FFE0-4733-A4FD-693DFA7A48EF.jpeg

Mathemagician and Xaios like this.
  15. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Quebec definitely is way more smokers paradise than other places. I remember we went on school trip to Quebec and they had cigarette vending machines.

16. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

17. philkilla

philkilla Baritone Maniac Contributor

Got the 2nd shot (pfizer) Thursday. Thought maybe there'd be some sickness, but I've felt awesome the entire weekend.

18. makecamera

makecamera SS.org Regular

Same. Got my 2nd pfizer shot Friday morning and have felt pretty normal through the weekend. Maybe a bit more tired than usual, but did all my normal things, including strenuous activities.

19. Surveyor 777

Surveyor 777 I measure things

That's good to hear. I'm getting my second (pfizer) shot next week.

First one was no big deal. A little shoulder soreness but nothing to prevent me from doing all normal activities.

StevenC and High Plains Drifter like this.
  20. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

FL cancels all covid restrictions. good for them!! wish my state would do the same.