Covid 19/Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ralyks, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin SS.org Regular

People are so damn stupid and narrow sighted. My co worker’s own Mother, dead of COVID. Still won’t get the shots herself. I’m half way tempted to point out that if whoever passed it along to her Mother had the vaccine. She’d probably still be alive.

vilk and spudmunkey like this.
  2. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Maybe... we don't *technically* know that fully yet.

Dumple Stilzkin likes this.
  3. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

As an update on my post jab situation. My arm feels fine, I know a lot of folks said that their arms ached for about a week, I’m 2 days in and I can’t feel the injection site and the muscle ache has gone.

I do have a headache and the sniffles. I’m clearly coming down with man-flu and will need at least a week off work ;)

Or I might just take a couple of paracetamol... ;)

StevenC, Drew and Mathemagician like this.
  4. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

If you're vaccinated that means you can't be a carrier also?

5. Acme

Acme SS.org Regular

Wife got the Pfizer one, no side effects whatsoever. I got the first dose of the Russian one Sunday afternoon. All grand until the following morning. Then headache, tiredness kicked in and my body temperature started to increase. It went up to 38,5 Celsius by 2 PM, so I got some Rubophen and by the evening, I was sort of fine (37,5 Celsius). Today morning everything is back to normal. I'll get the second shot on 2nd May.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  6. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

StevenC likes this.
  7. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

Unfortunately you can be vaccinated and be a carrier of the virus. Same with many other vaccines.
    Vaccines do help to reduce the chance of passing it on. Not up on the latest figures around this, so can't say anything else.

8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

This is fairly complicated. At a minimum, vaccination drastically diminishes your likelihood of transmitting the virus to another person - with the vast majority of transmission droplet based, droplet-based transmission requiring fairly high viral loads, and a healthy immune system response killing off the virus before it can really get a foothold, viral transmission should be (and appears to be) pretty rare, for fully vaccinated individuals whose bodies successfully prevent infection. What makes it complicated is, "pretty rare" isn't the same as "completely impossible," and even a highly effective vaccine with 95%+ efficacy will still, roughly one time in twenty, result in a vaccinated person getting infected, if almost always asymptomatically, in which case they certainly could still infect someone else. With some of the more infectious variants, risk of infection for vaccinated individuals appears slightly higher too.

So, yeah, it's possible. It's not very likely, but it's still a risk you want to be attuned to if you're vaccinated and spending time around high risk unvaccinated people.

Bodes, bostjan, StevenC and 1 other person like this.
  10. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

"Regulators in Europe and elsewhere are concerned about a similar issue with another coronavirus vaccine, developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University researchers, that has not been authorized for emergency use in the United States. At the news conference, Dr. Marks drew a connection between the two vaccines, saying the cases involving rare blood clots were very similar."

News reports that I've seen seem to be downplaying this new development... understandably so because they surely don't want to create any more skepticism or hesitancy than there already is surrounding any of the vaccines. Only six people out of over 16 million so it's an incredibly low number. Hopefully this latest news won't significantly impact progress but it's certainly going to temporarily slow things down a bit.

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

No, this is a separate issue.

Six clots, out of 6.8 million doses administered, all in women. It could be a coincidence it's all women, in which case the odds of clotting are roughly one-in-a-million, it could effect only women, in which case its more like 1-in-500,000.... or, considering all six women had low platelet counts and clotting is a risk there anyway, it could be entirely unrelated to vaccination at all. Either way, there's a meme going around that points out that this is also a risk of birth control, with about 1-in-20,000 frequency, and covid has a 1-in-5 chance of putting you in the hospital, so I don't think this is something I'd be losing sleep over anyway. Easy for me to say as a man though. :lol:

StevenC likes this.
  12. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Only other thing I'd add to this thread is that there's a lot of popular unease with mRNA vaccines, as they're a pretty new technology, bigger picture. Neither AstraZeneca nor J&J are mRNA vaccines, which is something that should not be lost sight of here. This is the same type of vaccine we've been using since we first started treating polio.

13. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

mRNA tech is going to be useful for SO many new breakthrough treatments.

However from an article it said the 6 people were all women 18-48 years old. So could potentially be a complication with birth control or another medication that has clotting as a side effect, who knows as it’s such a small #.

14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, agreed.

On one hand, the FDA is being very aggressive by pausing use of the vaccine while they look into this.

On the other, that (plus the incredibly small number of cases after nearly 7 million doses) does make it somewhat harder to argue that they were rushing this out without adequately vetting it, for political reasons - a one-in-a-million incidence wouldn't be expected to come up in even a large scale clinical trial, and they're certainly not hesitating to pump the brakes now.

StevenC and Mathemagician like this.
  15. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

I was able to book an appointment finally thanks to Santa Clara lifting restrictions early.

I am looking forward to the side effect of an undeniable urge to purchase Microsoft products.

mastapimp, Bodes and StevenC like this.
  16. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

#ZuneCrew4Lyf

fantom, Dineley, Bodes and 2 others like this.
  17. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

One of my male coworkers brought this up today as his reason for delaying his vaccination. I said, “yeah, you should be afraid....because you are a lady.” :fawk:

StevenC likes this.
  18. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

Australia's first blood clot in a patient who recently had the AstraZeneca vaccine was a male, the TGA (our CDC) has since linked the clots to the vaccine. So our government has stopped given that vaccine to under 50s.

Again, low platelets:
    "He had low platelets, but he had clots in his liver, in his spleen and in his gut in general," Coronacast host Dr Norman Swan told ABC News.

Source:
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04...coronavirus-vaccine-has-blood-clots/100046540

19. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

having had the mRNA based Pfizer jab, I’m currently waiting to turn into the Hulk, or develop some other unforeseen but exceptionally cool super powers.

Mainly just the sniffles left so far though :(

zappatton2 and StevenC like this.
  20. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

My wife developed a significant skin rash/hives after the first one. She got the second Pfizer dose yesterday, and protocol was for her to remain onsite for 30 minutes after the shot. She developed severe hives last night, major arm pain this round, and is just miserable.

StevenC likes this.