Covid 19/Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ralyks, Feb 27, 2020.

1. linthat22

linthat22 SS.org Regular

Dammit, going against my last comment. They were initially removed until called out on it. Thank you for letting me know they're back on.

2. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

vilk and StevenC like this.
  3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I think it should count as a red flag, if not outright setting off the BS alarm, if the sites you reference are littered with talking points about Freedom and The Woke Left. One of their "top articles" is about how we, as a society, are degrading into savagery because schools are teaching demon worship and human sacrifice (???) instead of good ol' Murican Christianity.

zappatton2, vilk, StevenC and 2 others like this.
  4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

5. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

Got my first jab Thursday of the Moderna. Felt like I took a good punch to the arm, but no other side effects. SD opened up wide for anybody over sixteen due to lack of demand. Asking around, most of the wife's relatives except her mom are skipping it because they just don't see the reason to do it. Of course, they also have been having parties the entire time this has been going on and don't understand why they are theirs keep getting sick. It's all fake, you know. Eek.

_MonSTeR_, zappatton2 and StevenC like this.
  6. MaxOfMetal

I just don't get the resistance. It's free, depending on region it's easy to get, the side effects are typically very mild, and it just might help someone else not die. It'll even help open the economy faster.

Trump got it. Rich people payed to get it. The Pope got it. High ranking government officials on both sides have gotten it.

Populations who have every reason to be skeptical about getting it, are going out and getting it.

Is there any argument that doesn't end in "liberal hoax" or "space reptilian mind control" at this point?

Wuuthrad, vilk, zappatton2 and 3 others like this.
  7. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

"Don't give a shit," ranks pretty high on the list for some folks. But most resisting are stuck in the "it never existed anyway" rut.

8. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

It's the ignorant mindset that "I haven't got it and Bob down the street didn't get it". People are literally so stubborn that they'd rather do noting until it's too late. They believe that cases aren't as high as the "fake media" is saying and that only the most sickly and elderly are the ones that are dying from covid. They would rather risk contracting it... feeling that there's barely even any chance that they'll get it. And that if they do get it, that it'll be just like so many other people that they've heard about, where symptoms were very mild. The inconvenience of taking less than 10 seconds to put on a mask before going into the store to grab their beer and bbq fixin's just isn't justified. Oh and it makes them look like a Biden supporter, a weakling, or a science-fearing commie. Gotta keep playing the part of big strong Murican person as it so perfectly compliments the bling on their jacked up family truckster. Sadly... they're just that fucking dumb.

vilk likes this.
  9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Except that we're approaching the point where pretty much everyone knows people who got it at some point. I've got family, friends, and coworkers who have all caught it at some point - some almost died themselves, and I know that covid has taken some of my coworkers family from them. A year ago it would make sense to say it didn't look real because "nobody had it", but it's very clearly here. And be here I mean everywhere.

10. MaxOfMetal

About 1/10 Americans have/had it. Saying "I don't know anyone..." is becoming less and less tenable.

11. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

Absolutely agree. But I think that the "I've got family, friends, and coworkers who have all caught it at some point" is part of the problem. Unless the anti-mask/ anti-science people actually see firsthand that their friend or family member died or experienced excruciatingly severe symptoms, it's just not enough for them to take it seriously. I never could've imagined living in a world where people seem so hell-bent on flirting with disaster and I think it's insane that some people actually wear their covid infection as a badge of honor... but here we are.

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Aaaaaaaaaaaand I just got out of a meeting where another coworker announced they have it. Good times.

13. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

Was this an in-person meeting?

thebeesknees22 likes this.
  14. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

"Great meeting, everyone. Oh, one last thing..."

Randy likes this.
  15. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Darn near 75% of my family back in Michigan has it right now. My mom, AFAIK, is the only one vax'd and she doesn't have it. My oldest relatives all have it though.

There are several ongoing local outbreaks.

I still have 3 weeks before I get dose 2. My wife has a ton of stuff she needs me to do out of town, and I'm thinking this month is def. not a good time to go anywhere.

I'm also stressed about these P variants of the virus that are resistant to natural immunity to other variants, as the vaccine's efficacy is yet unknown.

16. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Lol no, they're probably thousands of kilometres away. About as socially distant as we could possibly be.

_MonSTeR_ likes this.
  17. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

They. Want. To. Win.

If they don’t get the vaccine. And they don’t get the virus. And no one they care about dies. Then they “won”.

vilk likes this.
  18. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, I missed your initial post, which I suspect was, ahem, not very tactful... And my edit was precicely because I probably wouldn't have replied with much tact to that either. :lol:

But, at the same time, it's not too hard to hit google and get a sense that Michigan's reported numbers are probably good - it took me all of three minutes and a copy/past and one excel formula to verify that the state totals crossfooted to within what I would consider acceptable tolerances with the county level reports.

As far as everyone "inflating the numbers to make Trump look bad," and then "less criticism" today, well, I disagree on both counts:

Not sure a better way to hotlink this and I wish I could insert the graph as an image, but look at daily case counts:

https://www.google.com/search?q=us+...457j69i60l3.1689j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

They were fucking abysmal at the end of Trump's term, where he essentially peaced out, and by late february/early march, we'd made a lot of progress, sure, but only succeeded in bringing them down to about the peak of the "second wave" over the summer, the previous high point.

And this is the newly appoiunted CDC director under Biden:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/03/rochelle-walensky-covid-19-warning

Headline is not a direct quote, unfortunately, but points to Vanity Fair. :lol:

To your final point - Michigan didn't "mandate" any of those things, they relaxed mandates prohibiting, in part due to tremendous public (and, especially, Republican) pressure to return to "normal." Michigan, as it happens, is now at the front line of the fight against one of the new more infectious mandates. If relaxing protocols was the cause of this surge, which I agree, in part they were... then how is not immediately reversing those relaxations NOT the right answer? Like, we both seem to agree on what the problem is, is there any shame at all in admitting Michigan has moved too fast, is getting hammered now for it, and maybe we should stop in-person schooling and shut down indoor dining again for another month or two, until we can get much more of the population vaccinated?

StevenC likes this.
  19. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'm leery of making TOO strong conclusions on the impact leadership can have on the response to a pandemic, and while cases surged in the US after Trump lost the election and basically withdrew from public life, only to emerge every now and then to hold a rally claiming the election ws stolen, it's possible the holidays would have pushed case counts up one way or another.

But, if you want a clear, concrete example of how a leader could impact the decisions of others, Trump's decision to get the vaccine in secret (while both Harris and Biden did it as a press conference, essentially), while Trump's supporters are FAR less likely to get vaccinated than pretty much any other demographic group you could draw, is a pretty clear example of an opportunity where Trump could have single handedly made a difference in the fight against covid... but was too afraid of "appearing weak." Holding a press conference and saying "if I can do it, so can you" when they jabbed him in the arm almost certainly would have led to increased vaccinations.

Same here, one of the younger members of our team is out sick today after testing positive over the weekend. There's subtle institutional pressure to go into the office now and then while respecting a 25% capacity limit, and I know he'd been going in a couple times a week (I haven't been, only once for a meeting which really shouldn't have been done in person and twice to pick things up off hours). We're targeting a 7/12 phased opening with the company divided in two groups and each group working two days a week in the office and the other three remote, and I'm very curious to know if this is going to lead to a rethink of the next phase of our opening plan.

StevenC likes this.
  20. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Man, I'm sorry to hear this. Fingers crossed for your family.

High Plains Drifter and bostjan like this.