Covid 19/Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ralyks, Feb 27, 2020.

1. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

I still just don’t get the a-holes that don’t understand that personal restraint for the community is a positive thing. Do they just drink and drive? Only not because they will get a ticket?

2. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

There's likely a significant cross-over with Christians, many of whom believe that atheists can't possibly actually be good people because they don't fear hell or God's wrath, so they clearly must not have any reason to be "good".

Dumple Stilzkin and vilk like this.
  3. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

I think you're getting a fairly accurate picture. Texas is all about herd mentality... not herd immunity. In places that still encourage masks, you see almost everyone wearing one but in places where you can get away without one, the number of unmasked people is a lot higher. Seems that it's more about appearance than it is about conscience... Can't have your redneck buddies thinking you look silly.

zappatton2 likes this.
  4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Just got my first dose yesterday at noon. Felt great afterward, until about 4 hours later, when I just felt super tired. Woke up this morning feeling like I never slept. Other tgan tired, I feel normal, though.

Mathemagician, StevenC, Drew and 3 others like this.
  5. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

I got my second dose on Monday. The side effects I experienced were pretty much the same as the first dose. Sore arm, stiffness the next day and weird dreams. Aside from my arm being tender to the touch, I'm pretty much back to normal. Feels good to be fully vaccinated!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  6. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

My wife & I secured appointments to receive MT-2 Nano on "everybody's eligible" day. It's a relief.

zappatton2, JSanta, StevenC and 2 others like this.
  7. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

I got my first Pfizer shot on Friday evening. By bedtime the injection site was sore, but no other symptoms. Sore arm lasted a day and a half and didn't stop me from playing guitar or mowing the grass/yard work the day after the shot. Completely back to normal by Sunday afternoon.

JSanta and StevenC like this.
  8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself. :lol:

Got my first shot about two hours ago. I'm pushing fluids and waiting to see what happens. :yesway:

9. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I just got second moderna shot. After the first one, the next couple days, I felt much more tired than normal. Also felt like I'd been punched in the arm those two days, and couldn't sleep on that side. But, didn't ever feel SICK. I expect to maybe get knocked on my butt by this one, though. With my parents, one of them got a one day flu, basically, and the other didn't really have any side effects. But I think they're worse the younger you are, on average. Whatever.

I'm looking forward to being functionally immune. I'd much rather have a couple days of soreness and possible fever or something than a possible lifetime of reduced lung capacity! I have lots of coworkers that are refusing to get it saying "i'm not putting something untested in my body!! we don't know the long-term effects!" They're universally right-wingers, of course. I'm always tempted to go off on them about refusing Trump's Vaccine and how much disrespect they're showing to god emperor Trump.

Anyway, even with the few that aren't saying it in bad faith cause they're being brainwashed by Facebook morons and Fox News, that seems like a silly fear. I'll take not knowing the longterm effects (but being pretty assured there aren't any negative ones) over knowing that there are definitely often bad longterm effects from NOT getting it and contracting coronavirus!

10. thraxil

thraxil cylon

It's weird. Google's stats are showing that 47% of the UK population has had at least one dose of vaccine (with 8% fully vaccinated) vs 33% (and 19%) in the US. But I only know one person here who has had a dose (because she works with disabled children and counts as a "carer") and as an under-50 person with no comorbities it doesn't look like I'll be elligible for maybe months. Meanwhile it seems like everyone I know in the US is already getting vaccinated. Not complaining; it's just odd.

11. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Yeah, it's weird because of the way the UK and US are governed. The vaccine is being given to anyone over 40 in Wales, for example and in Northern Ireland everyone I know over 50 has gotten the first or been offered an appointment. Plus all the doctors, nurses etc have gotten their second doses by now. Over 50s plus essential staff makes more than 50% of our population. Then in the US you have states with loads of random eligibility criteria.

12. mmr007

mmr007 SS.org Regular

They announced this morning on MSNBC (the final word on everything) that states with the strictest mask mandates are seeing the biggest spikes in COVID cases while those that have dropped mandates and restrictions are seeing the biggest drop in cases. I swear I thought I was on FOX or OAN News...but nope. So today I will go maskless...AND...I won't wear a seatbelt. And I may or may not wear clean underwear.

13. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Mandates are useless without enforcement.

We had a mandate out here until recently, but even the Sheriff said he wouldn't enforce, so no one wore masks.

Though, keep in mind, it's sort of like seeing a bunch of sick people at a hospital and saying that hospitals make people sick. Areas with mask mandates tend to be more prone to infection through other factors, like population density.

But then you have the "x factor" that is testing. Just because an area has more positive tests doesn't necessarily mean it has more infections, it just means more tests.

Vaccination rates will also tip things. Folks who are vaccinated, even if they haven't waited for full efficacy, are acting as if they're completely immune. I've seen that first hand.

StevenC and zappatton2 like this.
  14. profwoot

profwoot SS.org Regular

Got my 2nd jab of Moderna on Tuesday and managed to be functional for teaching yesterday, with only some mild and short-lived wooziness (and some mild soreness at the injection site and, today, a decent amount of swelling/tenderness of the ipsilateral axillary lymph nodes). Thank science.

Regarding the current pattern of cases, it makes some sense if one remembers that the more backwards states also tend to be the warmer ones, so cases remain higher where it's colder despite mask mandates. I assume some people are nevertheless claiming this proves that masks don't work, but if there's one thing the last year has proven it's the power of motivated reasoning.

15. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

Going for my first poke today a little after lunch. I took the rest of today and tomorrow off in case I have any negative reactions. If I don't I have plenty of guitar stuff to do at home. If I do I'll just sleep it off or veg on the couch until I feel better.

FWIW, our area has seen an increase in cases due to those getting their first poke thinking they're done now and can do whatever they want. I've heard more than a few saying they're finally able to hug their kids/grandkids again the day after their first shot, and stop wearing masks anywhere it's not required because "it's over now." It's not universal, but there's enough folks doing it to cause a noticeable increase in cases. Even with our near complete lack of testing data.

16. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

Citation? Unless MSNBC started doing scientific research, they're a NEWS reporting station, not a source of scientific data/analysis.

As previous stated, "Mask Mandates" have nothing to do with mask wearing, and like the people with the poorest health and/or diet are the ones most likely to be taking vitamins, non-compliance can lead to increased mandates. The closest thing I could find to support this actually started with OAN (in the US) mischaracterizing a CDC report. The CDC report said absolutely nothing about the effectiveness of masks and was very explicit that they were exclusively talking about a correlation between mandates from March 1st through December 31st, 2020. Simple comments:
    • Correlation does not imply causation.
    • There's a lot of dynamics in that time period that could easily drown-out the effects of mandates.
    • Numbers will increase exponentially/geometrically, so obviously changes "now" will be bigger than changes "then"
    • Mask mandates are not equivalent to mask wearing.
    A quick consult with Dr. Google turns-up a simple NEWS article from November explaining why the interpretation is flawed:
    https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-...-a-spike-in-covid-19-infections-idUSKBN2802W4

Finally, all the data supports that wearing masks reduce transmission rates, period, ESPECIALLY THE LATEST DATA.

High Plains Drifter and StevenC like this.
  17. mmr007

mmr007 SS.org Regular

Omg where is an 80’s drill sergeant when you need one. I simply stated that there was a weird through the looking glass moment on the news where they stated that it appeared we were in opposite world and that things were trending in reverse to what had been the norm. I thought my comments could easily be seen as not a serious attempt to rewrite covid safety protocols.

18. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

The only people I know in bay area that have been vaccinated are health care workers, over 60, or lied about their occupation up until a week ago. Now I know 3 younger people who just went to a vaccination site and waited in the overflow line.

My point is: most people I know are still not vaccinated or eligible.

19. spudmunkey

I don't know many people, but I and my girlfriend are in the Bay Area, we both have our 2nd shot next week at a chain pharmacy. When we got out firs tone, there were only 2 people ahead of us in line. We're both under 50, I have no job to lie about. We were in-and-out in 20 minutes (15 of those minutes was the recommended "sitting in a chair after the shot to see if there's any immediate allergic reactions" time, and 3 minutes of it was because a couple originally from Sri Lanka (they were telling their life story very loudly), who brought their puppy in a duffel bag, spent time taking photos of the process slowing things down, and then a few "couples" photos...while blocking the exit from the area where people were getting shots, backing things up there). Also, all 4 of the people from my last job that I still keep in regular contact with are all vaccinated, and all under 50. They mostly work from home, and any on-site work is HIGHLY "secure" in terms of disinfection protocol, mask and distancing enforcement, etc.

Note: The above is not to "argue" with your point, just offering up another anecdote. Granted, the plural of "anecdote" isn't necessarily "data", but...well...not sure where I was going with that...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  20. spudmunkey

I can't seem to find a link to this report, even on their own website searching "mask". Do you happen to have any context from the report that could help my seartch? I can only seem to find stat-after-stat about how once you go down to county levels, counties which have mandates do better than those that don't. State-wide isn't a very useful metric for something like this. Better than "nation v nation" trends, but falls apart a bit when you look closer.