Covid 19/Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ralyks, Feb 27, 2020.

1. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

My wife and mother in law have received their first doses. My MIL was exhausted the next day, my wife just had soreness at the injection site, kind of like a flu shot.

High Plains Drifter and StevenC like this.
  2. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

My wife and many of her colleagues have received it and the first dose has no side affects except some mild soreness t the injection site, like a flu shot.

Those that have received the second dose have reported some flu like symptoms for the first ~24 hours after receiving the injection, but nothing more then that.

3. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

My mom and her husband (too late in life for "stepdad") both got their first shots, pretty much the same thing, pretty much like a flu shot, I think she was a little run down for a day.

4. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Regarding vaccines, the good thing here is that millions and maybe billions of people will get the same vaccine all over the world, so even if there is long term issue arising from the vaccine, there will be a big mandate to resolve those side effects, sincei t will be so wide spread.
    And still those side effects are probably preferable to the short (and long) term side effect of Covid-19, which amongst others include death.

5. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

To add to this, I spoke with my wife last night and she mentioned that several of her colleagues have experienced a mild injection site reaction after the first dose resulting in an itchy rash around the injection site, but not bad enough to need steroids.

The thing is that those side effects are actually the result of the immune system reacting to the vaccine, and this covid vaccine really drives the immune system into high gear, so getting around the side effects is probably not possible, at least with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

groverj3 and High Plains Drifter like this.
  6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I'd rather my body think it's sick for 24 hours and feel crappy than potentially deal with really being sick and feeling much more crappy for 1-2 weeks, put my family in danger, and have a 3-4% chance of biting it in the process.

7. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Yeah, it may be slightly unpleasant, but the benefit far outweighs the unpleasantness.

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've been a bit curious what the impact of the vaccine would be on someone who isn't already in good health - say for someone who already has a lung problem, I don't know if something that's going to knowingly/intentionally trigger an immune response that, while better than getting covid itself, could still be a pretty rough ride.

9. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

I know someone currently going through radiation (proton therapy) and chemo and right now their doctor has advised them to hold off on the vaccine.

10. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

mRNA vaccines have been under research for a really long time. I don't see there being any side effects beyond what most of the population experiences to other vaccines. Just like with polio or small pox, the side effects are far outweighed by the disease itself.

This is also a great point. People that are healthy or not immunocompromised get vaccinated (in general) to protect those that cannot safely receive a vaccine.

Great article from Hopkins for those that are interested: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...eases/coronavirus/is-the-covid19-vaccine-safe

11. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

My coworker that's 65 had his first dose of the Moderna vaccine a week and half ago. For the last 20 years or so, he's had significant lung scarring (to the point that he may need a transplant soon). He was advised by his pulmonologist to take the vaccine as a severe case of COVID would be a death sentence for him. So far, he's had no adverse effects of the vaccine.

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

The case I was thinking of was someone who has COPD and recently just recovered from Covid - to be honest, I was surprised (and relieved) he made it through. Even if the side effects are a fraction of the ride the actual infection would be, I'm not sure he can endure a fraction of that experience again.

13. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

Recent British study has found waning immunity from the virus after contracting it (https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4257)

The CDC recommends waiting 90 days after contracting the virus before getting the vaccine (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/faq.html#:~:text=If you were treated for,getting a COVID-19 vaccine.)

I realize those don't directly answer your concerns, but it is applicable information.

TedEH likes this.
  14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

In all likelihood he's not high on the list of people to get the vaccine. Thanks for the info though.

15. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

I'm scheduled for my first Moderna dose Feb 2nd. Not gonna lie.. I'm nervous as hell. But my wife says I'm worth more to her alive than dead, so... Wish me luck.

SpaceDock and StevenC like this.
  16. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

The oncology clinic my wife works at received the Moderna vaccine for their patients who are able to receive it (some of the chemo patients can't) and since the vaccine is only good for a few hours after removing it from the freezer, there is commonly several doses each day that go unclaimed. In order to avoid wasting these doses, the clinic has made them available to spouses of their employees and I was able to take advantage of that policy yesterday afternoon.

I received the first dose of the Moderna vaccine and nothing to report other than a mild soreness around the injection site similar to a flu shot. I have not experienced anything else that could be a side effect. I get the second dose on 18 Feb and will update afterwards.

StevenC and High Plains Drifter like this.
  17. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Lucky for you... I think it's the opposite for me!

tedtan likes this.
  18. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

Naw... I've seen the lubbers. Someone's gotta save her from those flightless nightmares.

19. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

I'm like the lowest possible priority to get the vaccines, since I can work from home seemingly forever, have no underlying health conditions (knock on wood), and am only 31 years old.

Ironically, I worked on RNA biology in grad school, which I finished during this shitshow.

Even more ironic, people I know who haven't graduated from my PhD program are getting the vaccine because they're classified as working in education.

Oh well. If you have science questions hit me up. I probably already posted a bunch a while back in this thread, but life is so fucking monotonous right now I don't even remember.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    Dineley and StevenC like this.
  20. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I have no idea where I am on the priority list. I'm working in a physical bank branch dealing with a regular stream of people and their cash, which is, well, a major germ carrier. Yet anytime I ask I basically get ¯\_(ツ)_/¯