Covid 19/Coronavirus

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
C'mon man, eating dogs, cats, and rats may have been what got us into this mess!
- Good point.
- I'm pretty certain I've unknowingly ate stray animals before. There was a Chinese restaraunt/buffet out here like 20+ years ago that got shut down because they were caught serving animals from the shelters. I loved their food and went there a lot. If I ate any of them I couldn't tell if it was pork or beef or something else. It was really good stuff. same thing also happened with a couple Mexican restaraunts too. Good stuff though. :yum: Out here some places also serve rattlesnake. It's basically like eating a rubbery, boney chicken. It's good tasting but needs sauce and a lot of deboning first. Totally not worth the effort or money unless in the apocalypse.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I don't really understand people talking about this like the world is almost literally ending. My facebook feed is full of people talking about society crumbling and having to go back to thinks like hunting and subsistence farming, etc. I get that there's a big economic impact, but this isn't permanent. The impact isn't going to be that drastic. Grocery stores aren't going extinct. The world is eventually going to go back to normal.

We were given an update from the city asking people to avoid leaving their homes if it's not absolutely necessary. People at work are mad that not all of us can remote in, and we're not going to be paid if we choose not to come in. I suppose it's not much of a surprise that panic is getting worse with this kind of messaging.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of apocalypse/zombie/pandemic/disaster movies but NONE of them showed people hoarding TP. Is this really the biggest fear, running out of toilet paper?

For some reason it's a product indicative of shortages and social stress

Near the collapse of the Soviet Union, everybody hoarded TP too

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
anybody saying you need to limit red meat, butter, and salt can be safely ignored

picture of sunflower oil under "healthy fats?" gtfo with that

tofu and beans and whole grains :lol::lol::lol: this is straight from the "how to feel like shit all the time diet"

I lost like 60 lbs blubber and gained about 20 lbs muscle in a year on a "2 lbs mostly red meats / day" diet.

Moderate exercise, no weights, no gym, no machinery, no meds, no trainers, no nothing.

Grains? The only halfway decent grain is buckwheat

ThePIGI King

Ibanez Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ohio apparently just made all restuarants and bars close tonight, or so I was told. Honestly not mad about no gatherings or anything as I hate crowds and most social gatherings :lol: also glad that I live in a fairly rural area 50% the time. I'm more worried about the panic mode people currently than the actual disease. Per usual stupidity is the biggest issue.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
US doing 0% Fed Rates and the market is still in free fall. Our economy falls in to the lexicon of every other Trump venture?

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't really understand people talking about this like the world is almost literally ending. My facebook feed is full of people talking about society crumbling and having to go back to thinks like hunting and subsistence farming, etc. I get that there's a big economic impact, but this isn't permanent. The impact isn't going to be that drastic. Grocery stores aren't going extinct. The world is eventually going to go back to normal.

We were given an update from the city asking people to avoid leaving their homes if it's not absolutely necessary. People at work are mad that not all of us can remote in, and we're not going to be paid if we choose not to come in. I suppose it's not much of a surprise that panic is getting worse with this kind of messaging.

society could crumble for sure. Not to THAT extent, but I could see people getting desperate and murdering neighbors for food, etc when they get laid off and can’t afford food. Or especially once the hospitals are full and they want to ensure their family member gets into the hospital. This could get UGLY here especially with our gun fetish lining up with the people who aren’t taking it seriously and thus are more likely to get sick/not have supplies. I don’t anticipate that kind of thing happening everywhere unless the government continues failing spectacularly, but I think it’s a risk. The CDC just said they want to block all 50 person gatherings for the next 8 weeks. So yeah, they need to start some wide scale social welfare programs right now to head off all the unemployment and poor kids not getting fed at school.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
My wife and I both work directly with the public. She's younger/ healthy but I'm older/ not so healthy. This thing has been scaring us pretty bad lately but we're stocked up on the essentials and had already been planning to limit or avoid grocery shopping for at least a month or more. I work a lot less than she does per week but we have both been concerned that one of us will bring it home and spread it to the other. And obviously we are much more worried about me recovering from this than her.

But I received some encouraging news today from my employer that I'll be able to call in through the end of April without it counting against me ( attendance-wise). I won't get paid but that's okay short term. Unfortunately her employer still hasn't done anything like this. She gets 10 sick days/ call in's then she's fired ( exemplary work history/ model employee in mgmt fwiw). We're hoping that they implement a covid-19 policy revision soon so that she can leave for a while if she needs to ( BEFORE it would come down to her actually testing positive) but as of now... heartless corporation dominates against employees... assholes).

Fortunately though at least I can temporarily breath a bit easier.. knowing that starting tomorrow, I can opt to be out for a few weeks.

_MonSTeR_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Aaaaand I’ve got a dry cough and a headache, no fever yet though luckily. My employer says its isolation time.

broj15

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Welp as of today there's 5 confirmed cases in my area. Also in related news:
- Illinois has ordered all restaurants and bars to close for the next 2 weeks (at least)
- mayor of my city has just banned all public gatherings of 50 people or more for the next 8 weeks (band mate had to cancel 2 shows he was booking and I'm playing the waiting game to see if I should cancel one I'm booking in late May)
- restaurants and bars in the city have already started announcing closures "until further notice"

My boss hasn't made a decision about what we're gonna do yet. Today he said that there's just enough money in the bank for us to all get paid time off for the next 6 weeks. Unfortunately that only covers our hourly pay, when in reality a good 40% of our paycheck comes from tips. Now I know that he means well, and the fact that he's willing to do his best to take care of us is amazing, but I know he can't feasibly make up for our lost tips, nor would I expect him to, and having my paycheck gutted like that means I likely won't be able to afford rent... If anyone on here is in the service industry I truly feel your pain. All we can do at this point is do our best to buckle down financially and hope we can outlast this shit.

And (to my knowledge) still no word on eviction protection or even talks of deferred rent. I'm not even trying to get out of paying. I'd prefer they just not collect for the next month and then split up equally across the remainder of my lease. If not then I know some ppl are already talking rent strikes, cuz either way landlords aren't getting our money now cuz we won't have it. They can either be okay with getting it later or evict and not get any money at all.

Edit: on a lighter note my friend made a Facebook post remarking that all this toilet paper business has left the wet wipes untouched and that now is the perfect time to treat ourselves. So amongst all this bullshit atleast I got a laugh out of that.

Last edited:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
My fear is that this outbreak is indicative of what world human overpopulation will look like on the regular.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
society could crumble for sure
murdering neighbors for food, etc

That's exactly what I mean - this is all blown waaaay out of proportion. This is no food shortage. Supply chain to grocery stores is still working just fine. Why would you murder your neighbour when you can just go to (or rob) the grocery store? The worst case scenario is that we'll fail miserably to contain the spread, a lot of people will have flu-like symptoms for a while, a not insignificant number of people will die, the healthy majority will recover, and society will move on.

If society crumbles, it won't be the fault of the virus. It'll be peoples inability to handle a crisis with a level head.

Latest posts