Covid 19/Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ralyks, Feb 27, 2020.

1. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Why not? No top shelf bourbon? I mean I probably wouldn’t go to a party either if it’s just gonna be some beers and corn hole.

2. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

At one of the Memorial Hermann Hospitals in Houston ( there are several... not sure which facility) 47% of incoming patients are testing positive. No matter what ailment or injury someone is coming in for, everyone is getting tested, and again... 47% are testing positive.

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

You complete me. <3

budda likes this.
  4. Empryrean

Empryrean Plucks strings

whew it's been about two months now of me working with the general public again and my district has been having stores randomly close for 14days un-announced. I didn't have to dig too hard to find out that plenty of my co-workers are a bunch of fucking idiots trying to party it up like they're indestructible. My own store was closed for one day for a deep clean because a dingus here couldn't keep it in his pants and wanted to party with a girl from another store. Turns out that her mom tested positive for covid and now she's on paid leave, presumably to watch her child who is no longer going to have a free babysitter. again, I only know about the 14day closures because of my eavesdropping, there is no internal communication about the stores testing positive for covid, theres no communication about the risk, they're basically telling us to quit if we feel unsafe. anyways hope yall are well, im somehow still keeping it together :lol:

5. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Thankfully: it seems my local testing site has a new process. Instead of the brainstem-spearing up-the-nose swab: this one was a almost-make-you-puke back-of-the-tongue, and then once only halfway up each nostril.

Tip: trim your nose hairs, or else it'll tickle like you're getting a mild electrocution in your nose.

6. spudmunkey

7. spudmunkey

The good news is that the US is flattening the curve.

The bad news, is that it's vertically.

DiezelMonster, Adieu, vilk and 2 others like this.
  8. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

is there any possibility the virus has mutated and is not as deadly as it was a few months ago?

seems like if hospitalizations have been setting records in FL, TX and CA for the last few weeks deaths would be creeping back up right?

9. spudmunkey

Yes, sort of.
    A) There's a delay between when you are exposed and when/if you show symptons, there's a delay between when symptoms start and serious symptoms set in for hospitalization, and then a delay from when hospitalization starts and death (or an even longer period before you're considered "recovered")
    B) The longer we are fighting the disease and symptoms, the more we know about it/them, and we'll just continue to get better at keeping mild cases mild, and preventing death from more severe cases.

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'd add:
    C) It seems the new hotspots are predominately due to younger people, who require hospitalization at a slightly lower rate - the optimist's case for Florida, especially, where this is the most pronounced, is this could potentially be the least-awful route towards herd immunity, letting the people least likely to die get sick. Note that I'd take some serious convincing to come around to actually believing this.

But mostly I think it's just a matter of time.

sleewell likes this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

12. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

^ interesting.

what is the latest on if you can get it again? seems like i'll read something one day and then the opposite a few days later.

if the death rate stays lower and they are finding you might have immunity all of these cases might not be the worst case scenario that it seems like certain sections of the media are committed to portraying. obviously no deaths and a clear national strategy would be ideal but in a pandemic that occurred in an election year when we are so divided it could be a lot better scenario than what was happening a few months ago in NYC and Italy just in terms of the sheer amount of deaths.

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  13. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

A lot of things actually behave like that

There's parasites whose life stages depend on passing through multiple carriers to mature, and they actually make their hosts act ridiculous so that predators can catch them and they can hitch a ride into the predator

Also, arguably, some STDs seem to stimulate promiscuity

14. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Herd immunity is an impossibility and is a strategy only thrown around by right wingers who want to justify doing absolutely nothing. Most estimates say that herd immunity would require a bare minimum of 60% of the population, and usually more like 80%-90% to be immune before it takes hold. So let's be really generous with numbers:

60% of 300 million = 180 million
    Cases per day currently = 50,000
    Number of days at that rate required to get us to 180 million infected = 3600 = ALMOST TEN YEARS
    Amount of time you're actually immune to it after catching it - evidence is suggesting that it's probably closer to one year than ten, so essentially herd immunity is completely impossible unless we hit 180 million infections in less than a year. And THAT would really be apocalyptic on the health system.

There's no way out of this until we get a vaccine or a functional "cure" that doesn't involve everyone stopping being dipshits running around in groups in public without masks. This country is screwed since apparently ~50% of our country believes that their personally wearing masks is worse than hundreds of thousands of deaths.

15. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Remember, that 50k is based solely on the relatively small amount we're testing daily. It is not the actual number of new infections, which are likely significantly higher given the availability of testing. Infection also isn't transmitted 1:1, it tends to happen in clusters, where a single infection leads to multiple.

16. wankerness

Initial estimates, when the US's testing was really terrible, was that there were likely ~10x as many infections as the official numbers, but I believe that's gone way down. However, to be very liberal with our estimate and say if there's still 10x the infections as the number testing positive, it would still take a full year for herd immunity, which pessimistic estimates would still put at possibly longer than the actual immunity conferred. There's no such thing as herd immunity with things like the flu and the common cold, partly as it's impossible for everyone to get it within the short window of conferred immunity in order to eradicate it, and then the cycle just starts up again the next year.

This is also going to be scrambled by the fact that a hefty number of the population AREN'T idiots, so infection will start slowing as the no facemask socializers all get it, only to explode again when immunity runs out/we come out of our holes and society starts up again.

I'm very, very skeptical of college campuses being able to be open for the full semester in this country - seems like an inevitability that the dumber/less careful students are going to catch it and give it to huge numbers of others in a matter of days (this is already happening with student athletes/fraternities living on campus at a few places, like in Washington), at which point the only outcome I can see happening is admin immediately sending everyone home (and if they didn't, a ton of students dropping out anyway). It's too bad my job is dependent on the miraculous chance of it not occuring!

17. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Bars and restaurants here were allowed to open yesterday. The government said a bunch of stuff about table service and outdoors only for bars, so they've all been doing work to allow them to open in compliance. But Northern Ireland being Northern Ireland, the guidance came out super vague and not mentioning any of the stuff the government announced. As a result in my town one bar and one restaurant are open out of about 20, despite most of them probably being in compliance. None of them can be sure though.

My dad went out to the bar the past two nights and the restaurant tonight which I'm not super happy about. But at least our numbers are pretty good at the moment.

In other news our Deputy First Minister took a selfie at a funeral this week with two other people, all not wearing masks. She's been making it very clear that it was nothing like Dominic Cummings but, much like Dominic Cummings, she has a lot of respect for the regulations.

18. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

19. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

So.... how socially undistanced do y'all think the 4th went?

Are we expecting a brief tenfold increase in NEW cases in like a week, or more like a tenfold increase in TOTAL cases?

20. wankerness

It will be in more like 2-3 weeks, but I'd guess probably about a 2 fold increase in new cases. No way was it 10x new cases bad, it's only like 40% of the population that's stupid enough to go out in crowded areas in public and frolic maskless. And 10x TOTAL cases??? That would only happen if like everyone in the country was shoved into football stadiums and told to scream for a couple hours!