Covid 19/Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ralyks, Feb 27, 2020.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

"Alternative facts."

For them, there is no coverup, there are no complaints. Everything is rosy. Unemployment is the lowest ever, and it's only high because of the virus that doesn't exist that Trump is doing a perfect job fighting, and he's only doing a bad job fighting it because of Obama, who is also the reason unemployment is so high.

Randy, XPT707FX and DiezelMonster like this.
  2. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

3. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

Bernie Rico Jr.

4. USMarine75

Jonny Craig

5. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Corelia

Randy likes this.
  6. bostjan

Harvey Weinstein?

Did I meme properly?

budda, DiezelMonster and USMarine75 like this.
  7. Ralyks

You got a bit literal, but it works.

DiezelMonster likes this.
  8. USMarine75

9. USMarine75

[​IMG]

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'd agree with you if we lived in a world with fast, accurate, and readily available testing, and robust, contact tracing, where we could be confident we knew who was infected, and who they had likely passed it on to.

Since we have neither, a rising known case count means we have a rising unknown case count and community transmission, so if the hospitals aren't currently overwhelmed, just wait, they will be.

Until the case count is low enough to end community transmission and allow contact tracing, loosening restrictions will just increase the rate of community transmission.

bostjan likes this.
  11. bostjan

Do you really think we'll end up in a position where contact tracking will even be feasible in the USA? I really don't think it will ever be possible. If we value privacy as a basic human right, and a significant portion of Americans don't even believe in the virus, how is that ever going to work?

The way I see it, we are on a one-track ride through this. Our leadership will do nothing other than protect itself, no matter how ridiculous the lengths necessary. Our citizens are too busy cooking up half-baked conspiracy theories as excuses not to wash their hands or so that they can keep spitting on the sidewalk. The rest of us just need to just observe from a safe distance and let it rip, I guess. As a researcher, I'd love to say that we will come up with a treatment or a stopgap or whatever, but the leadership won't listen to science and wants to inject people with household cleaners and sunlight. Maybe I'm just having a rough day, but at this moment, I have nothing but pessimism that no matter what I do, no matter what people who are like me do, there will be enough slobbering fools out there to undo it all effortlessly, then move on to more destruction.

12. Ralyks

Well then hopefully we have new leadership after November.

13. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

The AP is reporting that the administration is scrapping the CDCs guide on reopening.

https://apnews.com/7a00d5fba3249e573d2ead4bd323a4d4

"The Trump administration has instead sought to put the onus on states to handle COVID-19 response. This approach to managing the pandemic has been reflected in President Donald Trump’s public statements, from the assertion that he isn’t responsible for the country’s lackluster early testing efforts, to his description last week of the federal government’s role as a “supplier of last resort” for states in need of testing aid."

14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

A combination of two things, really. One, we need to find a way that allows contact trcing, while still respecting privcy and being HIPPA compliant (Google and Apple proposed an interesting approach where each cell phone owner is assigned a random identifier, and if their phone spends more than three or five minutes within several feet of another phone, based on bluetooth transmission, then those phones swap identifiers and create a record of those two identifiers having been "in contact" at that point in time but exchange no personal data. Then, if someone tests positive, they're encouraged to self report to the platform that their unique identifier tested positive on a particular date, and any phones that have that identifier logged as a contact point within the infection window would notify their owner that they had been in contact with a known COVID case and should themselves be tested, but would not note the date or time of contact, and since no personal identifying information was associated with the ID, would also not be informed who the contact was, because there would be no record tying IDs to individuals. It's actually a kind of nifty proposal.). And two, people tend to take the Coronavirus a LOT more seriously once they know someone who's gotten sick, so over time, the "Coronavirus is a liberal conspiracy" people would start to get sick a lot faster than those taking this seriously, and eventually would - mostly - come to their senses.

The alternative is that a whole fucking LOT of people die. Pick your poison.

15. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

16. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

It's going to be way too late to help anything with this, I'm afraid. Plus, can you imagine the psycho spree we're going to witness if he loses the election? He can still do whatever he wants until Mid-January, and the senate will probably rubber stamp all of it.

17. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

This guy was sorta funny when he talked about gluten free or something. Two years later... still existing? I might as well listen to what the numa numa kid has to say about covid.

Kinda reminds me of the South Park with Randy invents sarcasta-ball and gets stuck speaking permanently in sarcasm.

thesnowdog and JSanta like this.
  18. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

One of the first things he brings up is the LA county data those two urgent care owners/doctors were referencing in their incorrect assessment of the published data, and misrepresentations of other peoples/organizations' positions.

19. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

Ideally, agree. I want everything you say to be true. But let's look from a different perspective for a second.

Realistically, it isn't going to happen that way. Most evidence seems to be showing the community spread where I live was happening in December / January and went undetected for nearly 2 months before someone died. It still wasn't acted on for another 3-4 weeks because the CDC was backlogged. And I live in an area that detected and reacted relatively quickly. At this point, the most realistic outcome is that everyone in bay area is going to get sick from this. It is a matter of when. The best case scenario is that the hospital system still works for everyone. I don't want that to be the case. I think our governer and local officials will try super hard to have reliable testing. But I will not be surprised to find out I test positive for antibodies despite working from home nearly 2 months and buying groceries maybe 4 times total. Why? Because I worked in January and February.

The only reliable way to make sure the hospital system is functional is to measure it's capacity and load directly. Everything else is trying to take on more than our society has shown it can handle and more distracting than anything else for now.

I want phone contact tracing to work. Assuming people get over the privacy issue it presents, it still has many issues. The approach doesn't work on many older phones. Globally, only 60% or so have a compatible phone. The main people that don't live in underprivileged conditions, are kids, or are adults. Importantly, 90% of the random positive test rate is happening to underprivileged households. Kids are one of the main social risk factors. And older people are the ones paying the price. Assuming you give them all free phones, people don't bring their phones with them everywhere. In addition, all of the currently infected people won't be able to create an accurate starting point. If there is some simulation showing the detection rate using this over time, I wouldn't be surprised to see it take 6 months to start converging in any reliable way. Honestly, this whole idea sounds like Elon Musk sending a rocket to rescue some kids from a flooded cave. It creates positive press, but probably doesn't actually help.

20. Ralyks

tedtan likes this.