Covid 19/Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ralyks, Feb 27, 2020.

1. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

fuck it you guys got me.

if kiesel can be diesel and trump can trump then china can decide one day it doesn't want to sell anything to anybody anymore.

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

The utterly loathsome garbage Republicans in my state supreme court/legislature are about to overturn the safer at home order and say everything has to open until they come up with a new plan. What. the. fuck. What's even the point of a new plan once everything's open and everyone's kicked off unemployment? The cases in the state will explode and the cat will be out of the bag.

They were just furious we weren't keeping up with Georgia and Texas on the dumbass scale. I HATE that a little minority of assholes can destroy everything positive that our state had been doing. It's a good example of how the country is functioning as a whole.

3. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Looks like Trump reversed course on disbanding the Covid team.

4. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

nah, you prolly just misunderstood his sarcasm or yesterday was fake news.

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

It's also the highest state in the lower forty-eight. Whoah, like, I just had a thought, that, like, sometimes you have to get, like, really high, like, to be able to, umm, go really deep, dude. Like, what were we talking about again, dude? :lol:

If I've learned anything from Trump, it's that I can lie about anything and later claim sarcasm as a defense, and also that if you deny something to the bitter end, people will give you an extraordinary amount of leeway. You never get caught in a lie that way, because when you lie it's just people misinterpreting your sarcasm, and if they have evidence of deeds you've done to disprove your intent, you just cause a bunch of chaos until people either forget why they hate you or it simply takes to long for them to explain it whilst you are constantly interrupting them.

So, you remember ages ago, I posted about there being two different strains of the virus? No?

There is starting to be some data coming in now about tracing those strains: https://arstechnica.com/science/202...-cov-2-mutation-overstep-data-grab-headlines/ maybe nothing surprising, but interesting, nonetheless. I think the fact that there are two distinguishable strains is crucial to remember as we develop treatments, vaccines, etc. If the antigens are of two different physical forms, I don't see how one vaccine could possibly cover them both. If we find out later that the two strains can mutate into each other somehow, then that could make this one of the most difficult viruses to combat globally.

JoshuaVonFlash likes this.
  6. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

US is finally cracking 1/4 mil dily tests regularly...so that's some good news.

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Translation: "I actually don't know what the fuck I'm talking about, and don't want to do the 'research' of a hasty Google search for shady and easily disprovable sources to try to shore up my belief that this is just a giant government conspiracy and not a pandemic, so I'm just going to tell you to do it for me."

Seriously, how do you post this with a straight face? People aren't going to hospitals in the middle of a pandemic and asking to be put on ventilators because they're bored on a Tuesday night and caught up on The Tiger King.

Ralyks, budda, fantom and 4 others like this.
  8. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

I don’t know man, if I had a choice between Tiger King and ventilator, I might choose ventilator.

broj15, Ralyks, Surveyor 777 and 2 others like this.
  9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Been offline for a few days so only seeing this now. Bolded bit for emphasis the answer is we don't. Not until we see the case count decline significantly. I think we need one or two states to try and fail to reopen before we convince the country as a whole it can't be done safely, but I think ultimately that's going to be what happens - we realize we can't reopen, the states that aren't fully all in on shelter in place and face masks and social distancing will get on board in a hurry, and maybe by the summer the case load will start falling enough that we can do a ppased reopening coupled with aggressive testing and contact tracing.

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

That's actually fair. :lol:

11. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

12. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

^ so funny

13. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

They were blasting a bunch of CCR, too. Sadly, I don't *think* they played Fortunate Son, but it would have been appropriate.

Anyone else think it was hilarious that they/he wasn't wearing a recommended and offered-up mask in the tour of a mask factory?

thesnowdog and sleewell like this.
  14. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

DARPA has identified several of the top antibodies responsible for fighting SARScov2 and are trying to reduce this to the top two or three. They have a means of introducing these antibodies into the body and causing it to produce those antibodies as if it were responding to a vaccine. They've proven the process effective in monkeys and will be starting human trial shortly.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/penta...-find-the-most-potent-coronavirus-antibodies/

15. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Interesting. It will still probably take 3-4 months before it can go to production, if it works. But that's much faster than developing a vaccine. There had previously been talk of using antibodies from donated blood to do something similar. The problem with using donated blood is that there are a lot of religious people in the USA who are not allowed by their beliefs to accept donated blood.

16. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

^ Whole lot of nonsensical rambling.

And the basis of your video is a discredited researcher (and anti-vaxxer) who's had her paper withdrawn and hypothesis debunked. She's no better than Andrew Wakefield (not a Dr), Kary Mullis (genius in one field but a dummy in all others), Paul Duesberg, Sam Chachoua, or Dr Oz. Just because you get a degree doesn't mean you get a pass from being an idiot.

https://maldita.es/malditaciencia/2020/05/02/video-virologa-judy-mikovits-coronavirus/

tl;dr tell me more about chemtrails and GMO's

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    Dineley, XPT707FX, bostjan and 2 others like this.
  17. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

Honestly, at this point the total case count does not matter. The only stat that should dictate reopening is the number of active hospital vacancies (hospital beds, ICU beds, ventilators, and healthy well-rested staff). And that number has increased in most of the country over the last 2 weeks.

I personally favor being cautious, but in this stupid country, a realistic goal is making sure the healthcare system is... Healthy...

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  18. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

So Trump just loudly started yelling for the supreme court to repeal Obamacare. Apparently some higher-up Republicans are even trying to talk him down, but he's going ahead with it. That would go over like a lead balloon during a pandemic, if Trump-supporting Republicans didn't seem to be actively rooting for their own deaths...

bostjan likes this.
  19. fantom

I'm saying this as someone raised in a religious family... If people choose to refuse medical treatment and die or get sick, let them. It isn't society's job to protect people from themselves. Let "God" pick sides. They can thankful when they get to wherever they end up. Just don't risk getting other people sick under the guise of "freedom". That is society's job. To protect ourselves from each other.

Ya... The dumb part about it is that when this blows up on rural America, they will somehow find a way to blame Obamacare for dropping their coverage and think it is Obama's fault.

20. fantom

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...ial-cronyism-steered-trump-pandemic-response/

There is a link to the actual complaint in that article. It is just one person's word vs. everyone else, but Jesus this country is ****ed. I can't believe someone raised this many complaints as early as January and was effectively removed from the conversation and eventually "transferred" for saying common sense statements against superiors.

A lot of controversial topics from this thread are covered. He complained about shortage of PPE and exporting the stock to China before it happened. He complained about the political motivation regarding the hydroxychloroquine. He raised the death rate increasing under the drug. Raised concerns to build out more infrastructure and research for treatments in January. And the administration punished him for it?!? How do people support this administration anymore?

Also, in all hilariousness, every news article summarizes the complaint as damning evidence. Foxnews just mentioned he filed a complaint and ignored any ramification

bostjan likes this.