Covid 19/Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ralyks, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

2. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

I'm not trolling this thread but I can only take so much, so apologies for the drive-by's, gents. I just wanna get this off my chest and yeah this thread ( although hard to digest at times) is to some degree therapeutic. So...

What just continues to slay me over and over... and cause me to feel more anxiety, stress, and depression... is the overall mentality of so so many American's... young and old. I get that you don't care and "fuck govt intervention ( oppression... whatever)" but Jesus Christ... Just because no one can technically require you to wear a mask or utilize a an ounce of decency... it's heartbreaking to know that you just refuse to even be bothered by any of this. If you need to go out or go to work or want to socialize, then why not just say "Hey... I don't wanna spread this shit around and I tbh don't really wanna catch it either". But instead, it's "Fuck my/ your parents, grandparents, friends and coworkers that have existing health issues". Why not have some fucking mercy on them?? You're cool or tough or murica!... whatever! But damn you're a piece of trash for not doing what you can to limit the spread. And "Oh... some people can't breathe with them on." is bullshit... at least for the majority of folks out there moving around and shopping and traveling. You def need to stay home if you can't hardly breath anyway. Some of these masks are literally like nothing to breathe out of. Okay... back into the woodwork. Sorry for the mini-rant but again... helps a little sometimes... even if I'm not exactly contributing. Thanks, folks.

SD83, budda, fantom and 4 others like this.
  3. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

Jfc... Can you imagine how big of a moronic, babbling fuckup you have to be to make G.W. seem well-spoken, intelligent, likeable and even inspirational?

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire sso's unofficial pickup hoarder

Most Americans can't even wash their hands properly, let alone use a mask or gloves properly.
    I can't count how many times I've seen people wearing masks pulled down below their nose or wearing a mask that doesn't fit tightly to their face.
    Same thing with gloves. There's morons running around touching stuff they need, go to pay and then they fuck up by digging through their purse, touching their face, etc.
    Not to mention how masks and bandanas are essentially useless for preventing you from catching Covid, they just make it slightly more difficult for asymptomatic idiots to spread it.

5. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

And the Trump had the balls to rip Dubya for this after :noplease:

6. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

What'd he say?

7. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

Can't find an english article with the actual quote, but something close to this:

"He didn't bother to defend me during the biggest hoax of the USA history (impenchment) so he doesn't have the right to judge this situation"

And regarding masks, we are required to wear them at my workplace due to the fact that we are a remote camp, and some people still don't care. I have mine on for the whole 12h I'm working everyday. At some point, its like wearing glasses, you forget that you are wearing them unless you just think about it.

8. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Those are absolutely not "Facts."

What are "Good" approval numbers to you? After 9-11, George W Bush's were ~80%. That's good. Trump's were around 50% and were quickly back down to 40%. That's not good. That means only his diehard supporters think he's doing a good job, along with another 10% that thought he was until his series of moronic televised campaign rallies where he suggested injecting disinfectants and blasting people with radiation and ran reelection ads.

Practically every leader other than Bolsonaro and the other worst of the worst has trashed the guy, either openly or (usually) politely and subtly since most of them are not like him, a big vindictive baby that throws around insults on Twitter. They absolutely do not respect him in any way and he's been repeatedly cut out of discussions the last few years since he's proven to be incompetent and uncooperative. Of course if you watch the BBC you're not going to see other leaders saying "that guy is a TOTAL LOSER." They have more class than that. If that's your barline, you have really been warped.

It is not surprising in the least that some Trumpers have started threatening violence towards people that wear masks while refusing to wear them themselves. I like how to them it's not infringing on others' rights to like, force kids to be traumatized by active shooter drills to support their right to have assault weapons, but it is for them to have to wear a mask when in a public store to avoid them spraying their germs everywhere. Garbage people, the lot.

9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Lowest recorded US unemployment: 1.2%. Lowest recorded unemployment during Trump: 3.6% (3x higher)

Claim is false as stated.

Here are the exact guidelines from the white house.
    Note how vague they are, and that without testing capabilities and tracing capabilities, these are literally just pipe dreams. It's all quite easily regarded as lip service, because none of these guidelines are followed through (yet) with any action from the executive branch to make these guidelines any more attainable. Seriously, I've suggested more specific guidelines myself, does that mean that I'd make a good PotUS? :lol:

Congress passed a bill. Great. Trump signed that bill. Great. Then Trump insisted on signing all of the checks, too. Took a great move and added a petty political spin to it, but whatever. Still chalk this up as a win.

Trump's move to restrict China travel was too late. Period.

See the link above. No science there. This claim is flagrantly false.

Another false claim. Fauci has spoken, but has also been quite publicly restricted from making statements at times. He has also been blocked from giving a statement to the House.

Have you actually read about this? Trump filed an executive order evoking the defense production act, but then gave several conflicting statements to GM regarding the matter, most of which stated that he was not evoking the law. GM was already gearing up to produce ventilators before Trump signed the executive order, and it's unclear whether or not GM ever received any specific word from the white house regarding this, since, as I said, they already were doing it before the president prodded them (or didn't, it's confusing, because Trump can't even keep his own statements straight).

Citation needed.

So, is his relationship with China positive or negative? Even your own narrative here flip-flops on that. Truth is, North Korea is more out of control than ever, thanks to Trump and also to Obama. They are not reeled in at all by the USA. China is doing whatever they please as well, so we sure showed them (?)! I agree that he's pushed back trade imbalances, so there's that.

Man, I know you probably feel like everyone is picking on you, but when you say stuff like this, without any regard to actual fact-checking your claims, it's just frustrating. The fact that you immediately peaced out when more than one person disagreed with this post just suggests that you never cared what the facts were from the beginning. I mean, a quick google search of each factoid/tidbit you posted could have avoided this and it would have taken, what, two minutes? But the fact that you got the name of the Defense Production Act wrong means that you didn't bother to look anything up, and you are just spouting off opinions as fact. And that's what's wrong with the USA today, is that so many people vote and make other decisions, not based on objective information, but based on what they want to believe is true, regardless of how untrue it is or how easy it is to verify it. I mean, if you want to have your own opinions that disagree with everyone else, cool, but you've shown that you don't want to stop there- you want to convince everyone else that you are right, without even putting in the effort to make sure you know what you are talking about first.

If you hadn't have added those last couple sentences, I would have just shrugged it off, but this whole idea of posting false "facts," using an argumentative tone, clearly showing that you don't care at all about making sure you know what you are talking about, and then adding the self-reinforcement at the end that you are objectively right about your opinions on how good Trump is and that "everything" you stated in your post was "a fact," it's infuriating.

If I get pulled over by a cop for doing 50 in a 35, do you think I should argue with the cop and then tell him his radar gun is just an opinion and that my speedometer said 35 and "that's a fact?!" How well would that go over, if I in fact, wasn't even looking at my speedometer and the cop's radar gun was just calibrated the day before, and I was the only car on the road? It's just going to piss the cop off even more. So, don't use reinforcement like that unless you want to get people up in arms.

StevenC, budda, vilk and 4 others like this.
  10. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

At this point all I can do about the current situation in my city is laugh. All the experts said that we were supposed to hit our peak around April 25th. I knew that that was incredibly unrealistic. A day or two after that and they're already planning on opening things back up on May 15.... And then yesterday we see the biggest single day increase in cases since this whole thing began. No, not state wide, but just in the metro area. 100 people tested positive in 1 day. And they're still acting like opening back up on the 15th is gonna happen.
    Like I said. At this point all I can do is laugh.

11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'd vote for you. If the alternative is Trump. And if I was American. :lol:

budda and Ralyks like this.
  12. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

Regarding the BBC and Trump, why would a news network consistently use "trumplomacy" when talking about a president? I'll give you a hint, they aren't complimenting him. They disapprove of his way of handling both foreign and domestic relations enough that they use a buzzword to summarize it.

13. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I feel like we've gotten off track in a conversaiton more appropriate for the "Trump Administration" thread.

In other news, worldwide reported deaths have officially passed 1/4 million.

Saw a great sharable image on FB the other say, and made sure to share it with family: "Lifting shelter-in-pace restrictions doesn't mean the virus is gone. It means that we now appear to have room for you at the hospital." It ended up being a techable moment for a cousin when he asked, "What do you mean?" He works in factory 12+ hours a day, and had zero sense of what 'flattening the curve' meant, or anything like that. Turned into a very positive conversation. It turns out he fell really behind in the news when he was working on a job-site for a couple weeks, and then was affraid to ask questions, so he sort of just sheltered in his own mind, with his own fears of the unknown. It sounded like he felt better in the end about how to keep him and his family most safe.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  14. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

I'll be back on topic in a few moments, but: I don't know about the BBC, but as for German media, the damage that Trump does to the image of "the American" is insane. No matter your political point of view, almost everyone considers him laughable at best and a dangerous sociopath at worst. He's had his successes, I even agree with him occasionally, but given that he says one thing today and then the exact opposite the other day, that's probably just by accident. And as for the economy going up, new jobs, growth... is he responsible for that or was he just at the right spot at the right time. Because we once had a democraticly elected head of state (that was most likely way worse and maybe considerably more intelligent), reasonably high approval numbers, unemployment rates dropping (and I'd guess he would have really liked the slogan "make Germany great again"... "make Deutschland Reich again", something along those lines), none of that meant he was good for the country, the people in the country or indeed anyone.

Back on topic. Had a long(ish) discussion with my dad today... I thought I was the optimistic one in our family (my sister is really concerned, my mom kinda indifferent as far as I know), but... let's say I was reminded where I got that "stay calm, stay focused, always do your best, we'll be fine in the end" attitude from. We largely agreed in the end though, it is time for the government to come up with a proper plan. Right now, it seems they meet each week and go "we will do this starting next monday, and everything else we will discuss when we meet again". Which, obviously, makes any kind of planning impossible. How about "we will do this starting next monday, and if things go as planned, we will do that starting the week after" and so forth. Keep the masks, keep the social distancing. That's basically what's happening right now, but how about a "best-case-scenario timeline"? Restaurants, pubs and such are allowed to re-open under certain conditions by next week if I'm not mistaken, zoos, museums and such are re-opening already.

Again, I know disturbingly little about what's happening in other countries on a smaller scale, but drive-in cinemas are making a HUGE comeback in Germany right now. There are new ones everywhere, and as far as I know, they're sold out whatever they show. Up to two people per car, tickets & orders (snacks, drinks) online only. Never thought I might end up watching a movie in a drive-in cinema... as someone who grew up in central Europe in the 80s and 90s, few things scream "50s USA" more than a drive-in cinema. Friend of mine happens to have a (new) Camaro, so that might be the perfect car to go there...
    And, then there is this. Which is completely stupid, but also kind of... great? I mean, the music sucks, but I knew a few DJs who would be very willing to change that :D

zappatton2 and bostjan like this.
  15. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Vermont issued a bunch of new regulations at the end of April in order to send people back to work, but, honestly, a lot of people cannot go back to work with the regulations as is. As of right now, we officially reopen May 15, but that is expected to change if anything goes sideways. This is a tiny state with 600k or so population, and half of the license plates you'd normally see on the road are from out-of-state. Our biggest "city" has been hit pretty hard, as well as surrounding areas, but, where I live has fewer than a dozen people who have tested positive. Granted, I don't know of anyone who has had access to tests for coronavirus, even though I knew quite a few people who believed that they had it. But since the doctor's offices all closed, if you emailed your doctor, they would tell you to simply stay home regardless.

And that leads me to this whole testing thing. The only way to know anything about what we are doing reopening businesses is to start testing people. I don't know what it's like in the cities, but here, no one is testing shit. Businesses are told that they *should* be taking employee's temperatures, but from what I understand, no one actually is doing it.

And while I still don't personally know anyone who tested positive, I now know two people who each knew someone who tested positive (family and friends out of state). For me, it seems like it's circling closer to home, but maybe that's just me.

And now people in Michigan are shooting retail staff over masks.

Like I've been saying, the virus is kind of scary, but the sheer stupidity of people is far more horrifying. I still have people on facebook denying that the virus is real, and now I'm dealing with my wife's ex demanding that we either send the stepkids to see him or have him come to our house to stay for a couple of weeks. My wife is not happy, the stepkids are not happy, and I don't know what to tell this guy, other than that now is most definitely not a good time.

16. Empryrean

Empryrean Plucks strings

once again, i am entering the thread off topic..

I just started work again this friday-- 3 days ago, I work retail. There was not a single day that I did not have someone make a huge fuss about having to wear a face mask and I am honestly bewildered at the sheer stupidity of others who believe in their self importance so much. Anyways.. hope everyone is well, or at least as well as you can be. I'm contemplating quitting and becoming homeless if this keeps up. cheers

JSanta and possumkiller like this.
  17. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

It's funny because in China people were getting beat up for not wearing masks.

18. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

My wife and I had to go to Lowe's today and after a few minutes inside, she said "We're gonna have to leave"... because I kept saying "fucking asshole" as we walked by people with no masks on. I agree... it's just absolutely insane to care so little about something so potentially dangerous. I know that masks are not an "end all" to maintaining safety but why not at least show some compassion... even just to appease others that may be more vulnerable. Just don't be a dick.. I swear it's not that hard.

Indeed, man. I retired from manufacturing and graphic design some years ago but then decided to go back to work in retail part-time. I've been on leave for over a month now and I just don't think I can go back into that hazardous and depressing mess. We got our new property tax statement in the mail today and I don't even have the heart to open it up... maybe tomorrow. Peace/ Good luck whatever you decide to do. No easy decisions being made right now.

Empryrean and GoldDragon like this.
  19. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.me...people-to-wear-masks-and-keep-a-distance/amp/

20. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Nothing says ”I respect your autonomy” like treating people like children. :lol:

I get it, ”you catch more flies with honey...”

But I think, at this point, it's better to treat folks not conforming to the meager social distancing and PPE requirements along the lines of someone whipping their dick out in public vs. using the wrong salad fork.

possumkiller likes this.