Covid 19/Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ralyks, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

Well I was given two options: use the federal help package or accept a change on my schedule, which went from 14/14 (14 days of work (12hrs shifts), 14 days off) to 28/28. Currently almost done with my first week of work, I'll report back how crazy I'm going...

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm not going home every night, I'm stuck at my work camp for that period of time.

2. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

Is this as awful as it sounds? Because it sounds quite awful

USMarine75 and TedEH like this.
  3. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

When were those precautions put in place? Because from what we hear over here, to say "very late" would be putting it mildly.

But seriously, I just looked at the numbers over at worldometer and... that's just scary. The state of New York alone has almost four times the number of casualties as my entire country, while having only a quarter of the population. And in slightly less time. How people are still out protesting against the precautions is entirely beyond me. b
    I really hope things will start to get better soon...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  4. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Here in the San Francisco area, our 6 counties have had shelter-in-place orders since March 17th. Some individual cities/businesses started the week prior. Some states never had a SIP order.

Up through that date, there were 6,000 cases, out of 328,000,000 people in the US. For a country the size of Germany with 83,000,000 people, that should have equated to 1,500 cases, but Germany actually had 9,300 cases by that date. So not only a higher percentage, but a higher total overall, so it definitely makes sense that their SIP would have come sooner, even if the both used the same "%" metrics.

5. arasys

arasys SS.org Regular

At first, it was in January and Amazon was already running out of N95s, meanwhile coronavirus was a "democrats' hoax" for some. I read news from bunch of different places, and the officials' muted response here in US made things more worrisome.

Couple weeks later I saw on article on Le Monde, it was literally saying homemade masks are not effective. Later on I found an updated version of it, here's the part that really hit me:

"If the scientific literature isn't abundantly clear on the subject, there's no scientific proof of cloth masks' effectiveness. One American study published in 2010 has an example that a towel or tshirt has marginal effectiveness for filtering the molecules size of a virus"

("Si la littérature scientifique n’est pas abondante sur le sujet, un constat s’impose, selon la SF2S et la SF2H : « Il n’existe pas de preuve scientifique de l’efficacité des masques en tissu. » Une étude américaine publiée en 2010 a par exemple montré qu’un torchon ou un tee-shirt n’ont une efficacité que « marginale » pour filtrer des molécules de la taille d’un virus.")

Right after I read this article, US Surgeon General was on TV showing how to make your own masks made of tshirts, to probably offer a sense of security to people who have no masks? That literally scared me.

Now they are talking about reopening the economy across states with minimal testing, and country's president recommends bleach injection. Not to mention people at my age also show signs of stroke after recovery.

If states completely open up with quarantine fatigue and more people get sick during summer, we would be heading towards worse times with flu season in fall. Even from a daily life perspective, if someone sneezes because of cold, people will be more hysterical. And .. we also have elections coming up in US and second quarter's economy will be brutal.

YAY I feel like a teletubby <3

6. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

Ain't that bad, has its pros and cons.

Pros: food, laundry and cleaning is done by the camp staff. I get out of bed 15 minutes before my shift start.

Cons: away from home, internet is as fast as 56k dial-up.

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Some more context, as of right now, it has killed more Americans (individually) in less than four months than:

- Suicide
    - Kidney Disease
    - Flu

For all 12 months of 2017.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

USMarine75 likes this.
  8. thraxil

thraxil cylon

I would point out that there are roughly as many people dieing of covid 19 in the US every day as died during the Sep 11th attack. Every day. For months. However people want to compare it to things like the flu or car accidents, we have to admit that it's at least on par with 9/11, which had some pretty major political, economic, and cultural impacts. There's certainly an argument to be made that the reaction to 9/11 was disproportionate to the threat and had many serious problems (starting stupid wars, Patriot Act, the bullshit we've had to deal with at airports ever since, etc). But at the very least, anyone who supported those measures ("because terrorism") who's now opposed to stay at home orders and efforts to slow down covid 19 come across as at least inconsistent and probably racist.

XPT707FX, tedtan and zappatton2 like this.
  9. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

9/11 was an insignificant blip the size of a rounding error, statistically speaking

The FUSS everybody kicked up was about "omfg, they DARED???", because America was under the impression that its overwhelming projection of military power across the globe meant no one, anywhere, would ever for a minute even consider screwing with em right back at them

The loss of life was not historically significant. The "oh shit we forgot that angry people might not be particularly rational, so being scary doesn't actually work 100% of the time" realization was what made it historically significant.

That was what shocked America. Dead New Yorkers? Ain't nobody ever liked em anyway.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I just want to appreciate for a moment that the pre-roll ad for this video was the dumbest thing I've ever seen: A rubber ball thing you stick in your mouth and chew on as a form of exercise with the goal of shaving years off the look of your face. Even the ADS for the video are dumb and I haven't even seen the video yet.

tedtan likes this.
  11. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

So.... it's reuseable chewing gum???

XPT707FX and budda like this.
  12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I made the mistake of actually watching the fox video that came after that dumb ad, and sweet jebus it's just as dumb as the ad.

XPT707FX, tedtan and Adieu like this.
  13. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

He's got a point in the WHO's waffling on their recommendations as more information comes in. Everything else was terribly stupid. The second History channel started running alien conspiracy shows for a ratings boost, I guess it should have been obvious that news companies would too.

tedtan, budda and USMarine75 like this.
  14. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

everything trump is accusing china and the who of he is much more guilty of himself. why did he praise both of them while downplaying covid for months?

fox is trying to deflect blame and find a scapegoat for their own role in calling this a hoax which is exactly what trump is doing. it is a feedback loop of propaganda. trump says hey i saw this on fox so its true. then fox says hey trump said this so its true and the loop just keeps going to the detriment of the poor morons who watch.

15. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Asshole.

16. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Sorry MODS ! Sorry at @Adieu !

I apologize.

I misspoke.

I meant to say...

Fucking asshole.

17. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

People die. Badly. Every day. In America.

...and nobody bats an eye.

But this one was perpetrated by FOREIGN ENEMIES so it's special. People who have spent decades hating on New Yorkers and wishing them all the worst suddenly come up out of the woodwork rallying

Because politicians made it PERSONAL. An offense to the whole fucking tribe.

....in the years since, FAR MORE NEW YORKERS HAVE BEEN MURDERED BY FELLOW NEW YORKERS. AND NOW A VIRUS IS LIKELY TO KILL MORE STILL.

BUT NO FOREIGN ENEMY, NO BROWN DUDES DARING TO DAMAGE AMERICAN SYMBOLS = NOBODY CARES NOW.

Because it was NEVER about the people to you lot.

18. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

What a fucking hill to die on.

XPT707FX, StevenC and anthony.drake like this.
  19. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

What made 9/11 significant was not the amount of people killed. If my numbers are correct, about the same amount of people died in car crashes in that month, but for many, myself to some extend included, car crashes don't change the world, seeing the mighty USA being so vulnerable does. It's similar with mass shootings. 15,000 people shot dead every year, 500 of them in mass shootings, yet those are what everybody is talking about. It's not just about the numbers, it's the context. If 500 people die in California or Uganda, that's bad for them and their families and friends and such, but honestly, it doesn't really affect me. If 500 people die in the next big down, fuck, that's bad!

Look at it that way, we don't have to have tens of thousands die each year in traffic related accidents, a lot of that could be avoided if people were more reasonable, drove according to the conditions of the road, the weather, the traffic, their own skill. If they were sober, concentrating, and the cars were in good shape. We know that, we have some measures in place, but it kind of has always been that way, we wouldn't bring the whole world to a hold just because a few tenthousands or (globally) a few hundred thousand die each year.
    Same with the regular flu. The same stuff we do now with COVID-19, social distancing, washing your hands, (correct) use of disinfectants, wearing face masks, all that will prevent A LOT of flu infections and deaths. Thousands, tens of thousands, each year. And we have a somewhat effective vaccine. But we're used to it. We know more or less how bad it's going to be.
    With this... we don't. It could go away one day, like a miracle, as someone who claims to understand science very well said. It could be with us for a while, or forever. And as long as we don't know that, playing it safe sounds like a decent option to me, if we don't overdo it. Whatever that means, I honestly don't know.
    For the record, 0 new cases recorded in the nearest bigger town yesterday, yay :)

20. thraxil

thraxil cylon

I'm actually old enough (I was in my 20's in 2001 and even lived in Manhattan at the time) to remember that the raw death toll *was* a big part of the reaction. Repeated over and over again on the news and by anybody talking about the attacks.

The fact that it's a relatively small number compared to car accidents or heart disease or whatever was pointed out at the time and is kind of the the point I'm making. A lot of massive changes were made in response to a single event of 2000 deaths and many of the people who were pushing those changes and justifying it by the death toll happen to be the ones who are now arguing that we should ignore the equivalent happening every single day because it's harming their stock portfolio.

Adieu likes this.