Covid 19/Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ralyks, Feb 27, 2020.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Remdesivir was the first drug that people turned to, before this mess spread outside of China, even. A bunch of the Diamond Princess passengers were treated with it, and it didn't work, for whatever reason, for those people. It's also still very expensive, and Gilead has intentionally kept people from having access to it (maybe for good reason).

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

We got an email today from work telling us to officially treat the new working arrangements as "the new normal" until told otherwise. In other words, not to expect to back in to the office any time soon, even once things start opening up. They don't want anyone to go back in until we know it'll be permanently/properly safe, to avoid the disruption of having to go back home again.

XPT707FX and DiezelMonster like this.
  3. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I've not got a 2nd client who is not re-opening their office until 2021, and this afternoon i've got a meeting with a client to go over the plan to remove a bunch of desks, as they are only ever planning 20% occupation, with a rotating schedule of meeting rooms to allow for a few days of self-decontamination. To put it another way ,they are spending 10s of thousands of dollars in labor and storage to remove furniture, which we don't believe they would do without assuming it was not just a temporary solution.

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I dunno how well I can handle being stuck in my house until 2021.

5. spudmunkey

As of right now, the tallied deaths attributed to COVID-19 have surpassed 60,500. This milestone is of some significance, as 60,000* has pretty much been considered the top-end estimate of how many people die from the seasonal flu in a year in the US, while deaths continue at about 2000+ every day.

*OK, so some say 61,000, but we'll likely hit that by the end of the day)

6. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

But it is incompetence. Certainly, tests couldn't have been made widely available at the drop of a hat. But the fact that nothing proactive has been done over the course of this administration screams incompetence and even malice if we're going to be so honest. The perfect storm was brewing and all our elected officials could do was sit back and watch. A responsible and competent government would have the equipment and the procedures already in place to at least begin to handle something of this magnitude This whole thing has been like a horrible experiment and it has exposed just how ill-prepared and horribly incompetent Washington truly is. The US had more than enough opportunity and time to prepare for something like this... but preparedness doesn't garner popularity nor votes. It's an absolute travesty that "we the people" are nothing more than expendable guinea-pigs.

Indeed.

zappatton2 likes this.
  7. spudmunkey

Keep in mind that it's not that the shelter-in-place would continue until then. Even in the areas with the strictest rules about that sort of thing, most businesses will be able to open if they want, assuming that they can keep up with social distancing. Many companies are leting people voluntarily work in the office if they want...but the more labor-orientated jobs will be more of a challenge to work around. Likely with mandatory PPE, expanding to multiple shifts etc.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire sso's unofficial pickup hoarder

9. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

how'd this get so fucked up over there?

I'm eating tacos and going bars.

shadowlife likes this.
  10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

At the same time, I'm in an awkward spot where being just inside the border of Quebec means I'm a bit more isolated than most, even without shelter-in-place. Quebec currently leads in cases/deaths, according to a quick google search, so the likelihood of the bridges getting opened up any time soon is pretty low, meaning that even if things open, I won't be able to get to anything. Most of the people I know, or things worth going out to, are on the other side. And I'm socially isolated in a sense for not being francophone. It's gonna be a rough year.

11. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Because what’s good for them isn’t ever good for us

zappatton2 likes this.
  12. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

Misinformation, lack of information, contradicting information. And, since that is exactly what we're used to, a severe lack of trust in the authorities. Or even scientists.

Great example from this place... face masks are now mandatory in shops, public places (indoors) and public transport. All through january, everyone who supposedly knew a thing or two about diseases told us "a face mask is not really good at protecting you from getting a virus, but it stops you from spreading it". A few weeks later, the authorities, politicians, health officials, the lot, started to tell everyone "there is no point in wearing a mask, it will not protect you, at all. The only exception might be those really good ffp3 masks, but they're sold out anyway, and we need them desperately in the hospitals, so don't even think about it." Now, all of a sudden, the same people tell us that literally any piece of cloth, that covers your mouth & nose, is fine. FFP3 masks, surgical masks, t-shirts, just put it on, you'll be fine. Honestly, I'm still stuck with the "it lowers your chance of getting an infection slightly and lowers your chance of spreading an infection drasticly", because that is basically what I was tought for... decades? But how are you supposed to trust your government or the media, when they tell you a different story on the same topic every other week?

It's worse in some countries (USA...) and less bad in others, but even here you can see the people drifting apart. They all look at the same things, and tell you entirely different stories about it. And to be fair, I'm starting to tend towards the "they're taking away our freedom, we have to be careful about that" side. Because so many people started telling me/us that shit would really hit the fan in a few days since early march. And every time you tell them "see, it's been two weeks now, nothing happened, because we're doing the right things", they go like "we're not doing enough, this will explode in a few days, at best a week!". We start a lockdown-light and everything stays fine? We have to do more! We're in the lockdown-light for over a months and things are improving drasticly? We can't start to slowly go back to normal or it will come back worse than it has ever been! And if all else fails, "the second wave will kill hundreds of thousands!!!!111!!". Like... chill. We currently have 36,000 confirmed active cases nation wide, steadily declining since early april from 72,000. We're still increasing our test capacities, we're still quarantining the confirmed cases and their households, we're still practicing social distancing, we still ban mass gatherings and face masks are now mandatory. No one takes about stopping that, and those are the things that are supposed to yield, by far, the best results. [/rant]

Somewhat related, didn't know if I should put this here or in the memes thread:

shadowlife likes this.
  13. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

14. spudmunkey

It sounds like there's been a clinical trial of about 400 people, where it's shown to reduce recovery time from 15 to 12 days, and reduced mortality from 11%+ to 8%. It's not some silver bullet, but seems pretty clearly to be of some help in regards to this trial, anywa.

15. bostjan

Do you have a link?

This was published today, which doesn't look good at all.

EDIT: Remdesivir is an anti-viral drug. I think it's been mentioned before, but to reiterate, the idea of it, on paper at least, makes a ton more sense than HCQ.

Just a wild guess, but, on a boat full of healthy people, it probably spread around for a while without showing any symptoms in the infected. That's likely how it has been so difficult to contain. If the virus made everyone infected start bleeding out of their earholes, or something like that, then we would be able to identify who has it, and it'd be easier to prevent it from spreading.

Randy likes this.
  16. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Ibanez Enthusiast

I dunno what's more fun, the video or y'alls reaction :lol:

17. spudmunkey

18. bostjan

Ahh, got it. The results are not yet published anywhere, and what we are getting is essentially the teaser trailer for the paper from Fauci.

But, if you read the CNBC story carefully, you see:

Which is not too far from the results in the paper I read today, which stated that:

So, the smaller study, published today, says that there is no change in mortality and that there is not enough evidence collected to say whether it speeds up recovery or not, but it might. Fauci says that the larger study, which will be published in the future sometime, says that the drug reduces recovery time (which technically agrees with the other source), but that they can't say for sure if it has an effect on mortality or not (which also technically agrees with the other source).

However.

So, a little telephone game, since we don't know exactly what the NIH told CNBC, but CNBC is telling us that the NIH said the drug decreases mortality significantly (31% fewer people died with than without).

Interesting.

Honestly, I'm not sure I trust CNBC to read anything of a semi-technical nature and then paraphrase it properly, but they couldn't have just pulled those numbers out of their ass, right?

spudmunkey likes this.
  19. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

This is pretty significant.

It's killed more people than the worse recorded flu season in the modern era, even with social distancing measures in place, in less than half the time.

It will surpass the high estimate for the yearly flu burden, which is only the second time that's happened since the CDC has tracked it live, again in less than half the time of traditional "flu season".

This is with all the social distancing, stay at home orders, masks, sanitizer, etc. Even with all those precautions it's gotten to this point.

How anyone can still say this is "just the flu" is beyond me.

USMarine75 likes this.
  20. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

American exceptionalism at its finest :facepalm: