Covering a single wall with foam - Will it help at all?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by SSK0909, Aug 14, 2019.

1. SSK0909

SSK0909 SS.org Regular

In the room I use as a home studio, two of the walls are almost completely blocked by shelves and other furniture. The third wall is at a very sharp angle, since the room is under the roof and the wall has a large roof window in the middel.
    But the fourth wall is completely bare.

Theres wall to wall carpet in the room, and there's not a whole lot of reverb in there.

I was wondering, if covering the one wall with foam would help at all with the acoustics of the room? I imagine that it would be one less surface for sound to bounce of off? And if i have my back against the foam wall while singing, the most sensitive side of the mic would point directly at that foam, which should prevent most of the sound from bouncing back right?

I'm not exactly an expert in acoustics, so I hope some of you can give me some advice :)

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

What do you mean by "foam"? To get any broad-band trapping going you're going to need something both very dense, and very thick. 4-6" of Owens Corning 703 maybe. If you're thinking those foam acoustic tiles you see for sale online a lot, those don't do much more than control high frequency flutter.

Konfyouzd likes this.
  3. thrashinbatman

thrashinbatman SS.org Regular

If you have the foam, then put it up, because it's better than nothing. But if you're still in the planning stages, go for broadband panels. AT LEAST 4" of Owens Corning 703, Rockboard 60, or Roxul Safe n Sound will do you infinitely better than foam.

Konfyouzd likes this.
  4. SSK0909

SSK0909 SS.org Regular

By foam I mean acoustic foam. At least that's what it's called here. You know, the square shaped, grey thingys with lots of pyramids on them :)

5. thrashinbatman

Oh, I know. They aren't very helpful, actually. Don't get them if you're wanting to treat your room.

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah that stuff is good for high frequency flutter, and not much else. Too light, not nearly dense enough, and not thick enough. On the bright side, it's supposed to be nonflammable, unlike egg crates or the generic purpose foam people love to cover studio walls with, so at least you're not running the risk of turning your studio into a bonfire. :lol:

7. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

you want to control the low end in your room before you do anything else, imo. start with bass traps wherever you can put them and then go from there.

8. SSK0909

SSK0909 SS.org Regular

Bass traps are necessary for recording vocals? Sorry if its a dumb question, I just thought they tamed frequencies much lower than what a vocal can produce.

9. axxessdenied

just grab some foam and blow through it and feel how much air comes out the other side. That's how little it's doing to tame anything. You can spend the money (foam that will actually do something isnt cheap) on it but you're going to be better off buying a proper acoustic panel or building it yourself if you have the DIY skill.

10. thrashinbatman

DIY panels aren't that expensive to make. I made about 13 32x48 traps that are 6 inch thick for about $35 or so per panel. Get some packs of Roxul Safe n Sound, some 1x6 lumber, and some breathable fabric (DON'T make my mistake and use burlap), and screw the frames together. It's really not that hard at all, though a bit time consuming. They work GREAT, and will have a noticeable impact on your room.

11. axxessdenied