Couple of questions about this video (sweeping content)

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Sentient, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Sentient

Sentient Metal Dog Contributor

I was looking around the Internet for some sweeping videos that were non-Youtube ('cause I can't see Youtube at work), and I stumbled upon Free Guitar Video Lessons - Solo/Lead & Rhythm, where I discovered this great little video...

Sweep Picking Lesson

I just LOVE that, and would very much like to be able to do that as smoothly as he does. But I've got a couple of questions about it that I'm hoping you guys could help me with...

1. Is he hammering & pulling that 12th fret on the high E (in the first part of the video, with the 2 string examples), or is he actually plucking every note? I think it's hammer/pull, but I'm just not sure. His right hand just looks effortless.

2. I've attempted to tab this lesson myself ('cause I'm too cheap to pay a $30 subscription to see his), but when the 5 string sweeps start (at 00:37), I'm not sure I've got that correct (see my tab below). Is that right? Or is he doing something I'm not hearing? I'm not sure about that last note being hit twice, or not. I almost believe I've missed a note somewhere before that 4th beat of the measure (The same pattern continues 4 measures later, but in the opposite direction.)

[​IMG]
    Any help is appreciated. I think this is within my ability (with a lot of practice), but I'd just like to be sure I'm practicing it correctly, before I start practicing it in depth.

2. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

Thats pretty cool little exercise..

1. Its hard to say, cause I think it can be done either way, with hammers or not, Personally, I feel like hes picking it.. A repeating pattern like this (ACK I dunno how to format it to show up good, so bare with me)

-----9----12---------9---12-----
    10-------------10--------------10
    D----D----U----U----D----U----U

That way, if you have proper economy of motion, you can pick it and using the "Inside of the strings" method, switch your way going back down without too much trouble. Your inside string picking must be pretty solid to play it as smoothly as him, watch John Petrucci's Rock Discipline for exercises on "Inside the string" picking

2. Woo thats a toughy, its hard to hear it because the guitar is like doubled with some synth I think, giving it this weird echo'd effect so its hard to slow it down in my brain anyways.. Enough excuses though! I thinkkkk, and I am probably wrong so maybe someone whos better can comment on it, but when he goes up to hit that high E, he double picks it, picks it on the way up and on the way down. And it does sound like he hits the low A twice.

That would give it an extra 16th note, making the last A end on a quarter note rather than Q + tie to 16th note, which SEEMS right. I think. Actually best to input it into guitar pro like you did and take a listen to it and see if timing wise, it sounds correct.

I hope that helps.

Sentient likes this.
  3. Sentient

Thanks, Nick. Great reply. :yesway:

That's interesting. I wasn't sure if I was right or not, but I had tabbed it out to include that 9th fret again (after the 12th), using a smooth motion of two downstrokes, then a hammer/pull. Like this...

E||-----9h-12p-9----9h-12p-9----9h-12p-9----9h-12p-9-|
    B||--10----------10----------10----------10----------|
    ------D-D---------D-D---------D-D---------D-D---------

I don't have "Rock Discipline" (yet), and am not familiar with "Inside the string" picking. But I'll try to research it a bit, as you've got me curious about it now.

:yesway: I did indeed edit my GP5 file just as you said, and while I'm still not 100% confident that's right, it does indeed fit and sounds good. So who knows (other than the guy playing it). Seems logical, as I've seen another 5 string sweep example that did the exact same thing (hitting the note in the middle of the pattern twice).

Thanks again for taking the time for such a detailed response. :wavey:

4. Stitch

Stitch Banned

If you stick [ code] [ /code] tags around your tabs they'll come out in monospaced font guys, so we can all read them. :)

5. Sentient

Thanks. I thought using the courier font did the same thing, but apparently not. Sorry.