Could someone explain this sound/issue?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Masoo2, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Ever since I've started to get into recording/using VST amp simulators I noticed this "issue"

Happens with all of my guitars, and has happened with every interface I have had (Line 6 UX1, Line 6 POD X3, and Focusrite Scarlett 2i4). It even happened with my POD X3 outputting the amped signal too, not just DI.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/masoo242/guitar-issue2[/SC]

It's that sound that you hear immediately after a note/chord/palm mute is played and starts to lose volume. and sometimes while the note(s) is at full volume. Digital sounding fizz if I had to describe it.

In that clip I provided sound demos from four amp simulators (Toneforge, POD Farm, TSE X50, EZMix for cleans), all with various levels of gate and post processing (X50 had a ton due to how present it is, EZMix had none).

Is this common? Is it supposed to happen? How can I fix it? That is, if it is even possible. I'm kinda at a loss, cause I don't really know what "it" is.

(For reference, this clip was recorded with a Ibanez RG8WNF going into my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 with instrument input selected, pad on, and gain at roughly 4.5/10 without any clipping)

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Interference. Do you have a noisegate on? If so, I'd presume that noise is there constantly when you turn the gate off? If so, it's just kind of the same as amp hum really. Move away from your computer a bit for a start.

If it's not that, I have no idea

3. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Yeah, a noise gate was on all of the tracks at varying levels (-37 to -50 I think)

With the gates off each amp sim did produce the sound, and moving farther away (10 feet or so) didn't help.

:L

4. wilsontarpey

wilsontarpey Chugger

If its happened with every guitar, interface and software, maybe computer? What are you using? Is it the DAW? Go through the signal chain and find the issue.

5. blckrnblckt

blckrnblckt SS.org Regular

First thing I thought of was noise gate, but if it's still there with it off, then I don't know.

6. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

I hope, you use high end cables? If not, that would be the first I'll try, because it's the last thing to check hardware wise besides interface and guitar.

If we can exclude hardware issues, I would download BIAS FX and try the standalone version, so we can compare, if it also happens outside the DAW.

Maybe post a second sound example without noise gate and a clean tone amp, which might help to identify the source of the problem.

PS: Your Ibanez has active pickups, right? So it's unlikely, that the guitar itself picks up interferences, but an unsufficiently shielded cable could nevertheless.

PPS: How good are the electrics in your house? Did you try moving the PC to another room? I mention this, because a friend of mine lives in California and told me, that many US buildings don't have the high electrics standards, we Germans are used to. I saw this confirmed in Youtube videos about amp hum ;)

7. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

if you have active pickups also check the battery. a dying battery can introduce quite some noise.

8. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

Because he said, that all of his guitars have this issue, I assumed, that this potential battery issue can be excluded from our search for the cause of the problem.

9. Crescendo

Crescendo Surgical

Have you tried new cables and different power outlets in your house?

10. russmuller

russmuller Cramblin' Contributor

Start by systematically removing things connected to your signal chain until the problem goes away. Different cable. Different audio interface. If you're going through any pedals or other gear before your interface, pull them out one and at time, see if there's a ground lift and try that. Try a different power supply or power source/strip/outlet for your interface. Etc...

11. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

I'll definitely give a different cable a try, because I know for a fact I'm not using the best cable I have (this one just bends easily so it can wrap around my desk)

Only one of my guitars (Jackson DK2M) has actives, but the issue is still present with it too. (The RG8 has soapbar passives, they actually sound pretty decent stock.)

Gave BIAS FX a try. The issue was still there, although much less present. However, it was on a patch-by-patch basis. The Tosin Abasi presets had pretty much the same level for the issue as the other plugins did, while one called "Duality 5150" or similar had much less of the issue, albeit the issue was a bit lower in frequency for some reason.

I'll give some other outlets and power strips a test, but quick question: Do you think it could just be my power supply?

When I got the computer (tl;dr: didn't know how easy it was to build it by yourself at the time, got an ibuypower) I noticed that it had a super cheap PSU, probably 80+ bronze or just plain 80+. I've had issues with attempting to overclock my CPU with it, so that might be the cause of the issue.

12. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

Possible, but it can also be the PC's power supply unit. In the old antenna TV days a neighbour of mine had such a badly shielded PSU in his PC, that whenever he switched on his PC, the TV had a distorted image :D

13. kevinxbrooks

kevinxbrooks General Facesmashery

Try rolling some of the gain back on your interface and make up with some pre amp gain and output in DAW. All DI guitars buzz a little, it's just part of playing DI and using VST amps

14. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

He already did ... in the opening post he mentioned an interface level of 4.5/10

What we're discussing here is not the typical hum, you mentioned.

15. illimmigrant

illimmigrant A Different Logic

It really does sound like ground loop noise, but it's strange that it happens with such a simple chain of guitar, interface, and computer. I had ground loop noise, but I have a few different things interconnected. Once I found where the problem was, I put in an Ebtech Hum Eliminator and that fixed the issue. They're not expensive, so maybe try one out and if it doesn't work, return it. I've shared this diagram of my setup before because the problem is so common, yet there aren't many answers out there. I know how frustrating it is. Good luck.

Attached Files:

16. kevinxbrooks

kevinxbrooks General Facesmashery

I'm telling you dude. I went from amplitube, to pod farm, to a line 6 pod, to an axe fx II. You are always gonna get some sort of hum and buzz, I listened to the clips. It's gotta be something to do with the grounding of the computer hardware and the interface but I really dunno. Your rockin an 8 string with ceramic magnets that thing is gonna be super noisy, and I'm sure your active pickups are super high output too. The focusrites are notorious for the input gain being too hot. The line 6 products have a bad rep for ground loop issues. You've got a lot of factors working against you.

If your interested shoot me a DI and I'll reamp it for you. We can then isolate whether or not your software is creating the buzz or if the buzz is present in your di signal.

See if any of this helps
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jLVbxH5-_x8

17. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I'm hearing 60 Hz hum, a guitar, and a noise gate. You can try to find where the hum is coming from. If you have a practice amp, try plugging it into the same outlet as your computer and interface and see if you hear the same noise coming from it.

If so, you have a shielding/EMF problem. Either get better shielding or go somewhere with less EMF. That might not be easy if your shielding is already pretty good and your house is just full of EMF. Some appliances contribute a lot to EMF: lights, refrigerators, fans, air conditioning, computers, etc. Unplug or at least turn off anything you don't need.

If not, then I'd say something is amiss with your interface and/or computer. Perhaps audio is picking up EMF on its way from the interface to the computer, or else the interface or the computer is adding noise. Unfortunately, since 60 Hz electricity is necessarily inside of your interface and your computer, there isn't a whole lot you can do.