Could anyone explain this to me?

Dominoes282

Mixing Engineer
Reaction score
I'm currently changing the shit out of the pickups in my DC800 right now and apparently there has been a lot of controversy around it due to the active to passive switch. I found a diagram on how to do it but it's just confused me even further.

Check it out

Carvin.com BBS :: View topic - A Diagram to convert Active to Passive on Carvin DC800

I swear this is making me believe I'm freakin color blind... After the fact I will try to create a logical diagram that even I can understand :D

BTW this is what the cavity looks like

IMG_0483_zps27161350.jpg

Thanks to anyone who can help

ferret

Not worthy
Reaction score
If you want to go passive, you need new pots. Carvin's active system is that PCB board you see there. It's got to come out. View it less as a conversion and more as a total replacement.

Yes, that's the bridge ground you have an arrow pointed to. If you look to the right side, you'll see another ground from the PCB also going to the shielding.

Terran's thread used the wiring colors for the DiMarzio's he was installing, so it won't match the Carvin wiring you currently have. What brand are you installing?

Dominoes282

Mixing Engineer
Reaction score
If you want to go passive, you need new pots. Carvin's active system is that PCB board you see there. It's got to come out. View it less as a conversion and more as a total replacement.

Yes, that's the bridge ground you have an arrow pointed to. If you look to the right side, you'll see another ground from the PCB also going to the shielding.

Terran's thread used the wiring colors for the DiMarzio's he was installing, so it won't match the Carvin wiring you currently have. What brand are you installing?

I should have explained that heh. I got new pots, a 5 way selector, and tone cap from Carvin. I removed everything and the new (Blackwater) pickups are currently installed. Here's the wiring diagram for them. All of that is installed and just needs to be wired up but the way he shows his diagram is confusing. It makes sense except for the pots and jacks wiring. I can't figure out the flow of the signal for some reason.

ferret

Not worthy
Reaction score
CarvinDC800WiringDiagram1_zps1b650def.png

What's he's done here is the dark grey line is a bare wire acting as a ground wire. The white wire is between the switch and the bare ground wire. So dark grey and white are grounds.

Eliguy666

Holy shit I've been inactive for awhile
Reaction score
Do keep us updated on the Blackwaters in an 8 string context! Are they the Neodymium Moderns?

Got a set of the nines in shop right now, but not currently installed.

oversteve

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Here's the diagram from SD for 2 humbs and 5 way switch just match the colors

BW red is SD black
BW black is SD greean
BW white and green are SD white and red
bare is bare

just as mentioned before don't forget to solder the gorund wire from the bridge to some pot and leave the battery wires hanging just be sure to tape them so that they don't get in the way

2hb_1vol_1tone_5way.jpg

Dominoes282

Mixing Engineer
Reaction score
Do keep us updated on the Blackwaters in an 8 string context! Are they the Neodymium Moderns?

Got a set of the nines in shop right now, but not currently installed.

I will be posting a review of the Neo Moderns after I get them soldered hopefully today but probably finishing tomorrow. Thanks to everyone I think I can picture it in my head how to do it.

Dominoes282

Mixing Engineer
Reaction score
Got them all wired in correctly thanks to ferret's clarification *whew*. They sound AMAZING. I will post a review some time tomorrow.

Latest posts