Convince me to acquire or stay away from Evertune

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Tisca, May 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

I want to hear both sides. I tried an Ltd EC long ago with Evertune bridge and hated it. There must have been something wrong with the setup and I'm ready to give it a new try. Didn't even plug it into an amp.

Also list some other brands than ESP and Solar that come stock with Evertune.
    I'm under the impression that after market fitting becomes expensive and few know how to do it properly.

2. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

Plus side:

1. It works essentially perfectly at what it was designed for. It can easily be set up for whatever bending sensitivity you want.
    2. If you have a heavy hand, or are just really sensitive to strings going out of tune when you strike them, you can set them (usually the low strings) so that they are less sensitive to pitch changes with bending. What this means is you have to bend a bit before the pitch changes. This can make it so that pushing down on and striking the string do not change the pitch. It can make things sound a bit more in tune. The pitch does not waver when you strike the string, or if you push down hard when fretting.
    3. It is an easy to adjust bridge design in terms of string height and intonation. Everything is done with the same hex key.
    4. It's very easy to use once you understand it.

Downsides:
    1. Much like a Floyd, changing tuning takes longer than on a fixed bridge. You need to use the tool. It's faster than a Floyd, but not an on the fly mid-show thing.
    2. It sounds a little different than a fixed bridge, in the same way a Floyd sounds different than a fixed bridge. Ideally play one first to make sure you like it.
    3. It's difficult to explain if you have not used it before.

Overall, I think they are great, especially for live performances or recording. I own a LTD KS-7 and have used it for a few years.

3. BananaDemocracy

BananaDemocracy 8 String Impaler

I say get it. Why? Because if I didn’t just blow my wad on a M80M I had my eyes fixed on an ESP EV.... now I think those points are accurate....^^^^

If that pro side tips the scale at all in any way,go for it. You can always sell it, which is the beauty of instruments

4. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Pros: Stays in tune forever basically (I haven't needed to adjust anything in over a year), pretty comfortable

Cons:
    • Heavy (expect an additional 2lbs at least). Their site claims 1.28 for the 6-string bridge but my EverTune Solar guitars were like 10lbs each I believe. I can get back to you on specifics when I'm home though
    • Takes out a good chunk of wood from your guitar. Absolutely fine with stock guitars imo but I have a reluctance to purchase a custom where I'm paying for fancy woods and aesthetics only to have the guitar's core section removed.

Possibly Myths:
    • Reduced sustain (maybe a slight reduction but I have guitars without it that have less so it's whatever)
    • Weird (metallic?) sounds (I haven't experienced these at all)

Purchasing options:
    • It is not cheap to after-market install one. Sending to EverTune costs the bridge price plus an installation price. Around $600 total.
    • Having EverTune purchase a production guitar for you from one of their distributors (if they have it) saves you the price of installation. You just pay for the bridge and shipping.
    • Buying a guitar with EverTune already installed (whether production or a custom built) has the price built in of course.
    Other brands with them stock? Almost none. It's only going to be custom builders and stuff. Cheapest custom options would be via Kiesel or Balaguer. Btw, Solar appears to be the first ones to offer a production 8-string with an EverTune bridge.

Manurack, efiltsohg and Tisca like this.
  5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Grab a used LTD with an Evertune, you can grab them for as little as $600 on Reverb, try it out. If you hate it, you'll know for sure, and then dump the guitar for what you paid. If you love it, you'll know for sure, and sell it for what you paid to put towards something more high end.

You're really not going to be able to make this decision without spending some time with the bridge.

setsuna7, Emperoff, Manurack and 5 others like this.
  6. MrYakob

MrYakob SS.org Regular

This is only true if you're changing the tuning or string gauge, otherwise you just put the string on and just wind it until the note stops moving. Super quick if you're using the same strings/tuning

Manurack, Tisca and Strobe like this.
  7. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

See my post about Evertune here https://sevenstring.org/threads/eve...ne-really-worth-it.334297/page-2#post-4969217
    Personally i see problems with the idea, however it might be right for you.

It will inevitably have less sustain and poorer tone than a trem bridge, all else being equal, because each string isn't stabilised by the inertia of a tone block as large as that of a trem bridge, because there are now 6 individual smaller tone blocks.

What did you 'hate' about the one you tried?

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  8. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

I keep hearing how well the Evertune works with downtuned and 8 strings. There also seems to be a trend of having shorter scale lengths than without Evertune bridge. Has anyone noticed they don't require as long scale lengths or is it only about tuning stability and not overall feel?

Some say this, others say it's a myth.
    The feel of the springs in the mechanism. Hated it from the first strum and didn't play for long. Back then I only played hardtail guitars.

9. frenster

frenster SS.org Regular

I've installed quite a few of these, many for touring and studio pros, as well as producers. Most of what's been said here is true.

The plusses are that it does stay perfectly in tune for weeks at a time, and set up properly, feels like a conventional guitar. I have one celebrity client who said that it was so in tune when he was doubling tracks that it was phasing, and he had to use a conventional guitar on the doubled track. I have another who said he did an entire tour and didn't tune once, and another who said they recorded an entire album and didn't have to tune. You can also go from cold to hot or vice versa and it won't effect the tuning.

It can also be set to compensate for hamfist players. I know plenty of talented singer/songwriters who put their guitar out of tune simply by grabbing the chords too hard. It also works great on 7 and 8 string guitars, and also down tuning. It stops the strings from going sharp when you hit them hard.

The downsides are that it may rob some sustain and tone, as well as sensitivity, for example, if you like to get vibrato by moving the neck back and forth, that won't work. Depending on your style of music, this may or may not matter. For Rise Against it's fine, but it might not work so well for guitarists with a more subtle touch, like Scott Henderson. As for adding weight, I've found that the difference between the amount of wood you take out and the weight of the Evertune is measured in ounces, not pounds. I've weighed them before and after installation.

It's definitely cheaper to buy one with it installed than having me install one for you (not that I'm trying to drive away business), but some people are attached to certain guitars and simply want them to stay in tune. For example, I have a client who tours with a stadium filling act and he LOVES cheap guitars. His Teiscos, Harmonys and Silvertones sound great, but they never stayed in tune. Now they do.

As far as customer response, I've installed hundreds of these and have had VERY few complaints.

Hope that's helpful!

MerlinTKD, Exchanger, Soya and 5 others like this.
  10. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

After market install is around $600 total (bridge + install).

ESP and Solar are the biggest companies i can think of that carry guitars with them as a standard feature.

There is ome Kiesel signature model with an evertune bridge. And there’s also VGS guitars but, i don’t know much about them.

About the guitar you didn’t like:
    Where did you try it?

I ask because i’ll be darned if i ever find anything but, fixed bridge guitars set up properly in stores and even then its a crap shoot ESPECIALLY if the guitar is in the used section. I’m betting it was used because i have yet to see any evertune guitar for sale brand new in a store (at least around LA)

11. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

Guitar store, ESP Ltd. It really depends on which store, how well guitars are set up. This one has well setups every time I played. Still could be a bad setup.

There's a 2nd hand Solar 7 with Evertune for sale. Been up for a good while. Dunno what the popularity is on these in case I'd have to resell it after not liking. Also I'm not sure I want a 7 string.

Anyone know if the coming, more affordable Devin Townsend Dragon series model will have an Evertune?

12. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

I'm sorry if this has been covered but can you set one up so you can drop tune a string on the fly with an Evertune?

13. LeviathanKiller

I think Ola covered that in a video. Check his YouTube for all videos discussing EverTune. I think there was a fairly big FAQ one once.

Humbuck likes this.
  14. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Yes

See Ola’s video on this

Humbuck likes this.
  15. LeviathanKiller

16. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Yes, i can understand players not 'noticing' loss of tone and sustain, but they don't have another guitar identical in all ways except the bridge type to compare it too. If they did, a normal trem bridge will probably be slightly better, a fixed bridge will certainly be much better.
    Because Evertune is an alternative to a fixed bridge, not an alternative to a trem bridge, the loss of tone and sustain is significant.

A saddle on a pivot with less rotational inertia than a trem bridge will not be as solid an anchor as a fixed bridge or a trem bridge, this seems inevitalbe due to the laws of physics.

Below is a photo of the Evertune mechanism for a single saddle, the silver parts and saddle are on a pivot. They have wisely placed a largish chunk of metal as far from the pivot as possible in order to try to maximise the rotational inertia (rotational inertia depends on mass but also the distance of the mass from the pivot), but it still won't be as much rotational inertia as an entire trem bridge.
    Ideally they need a larger mass placed even further from the pivot, but there is only so much space in a guitar body, so the guitar body may need to be extended backwards, which defeats the intention of fitting this inside existing designs.

As-the-string-tension-pulls-this-way.png

efiltsohg and Tisca like this.
  17. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

The only advantage is the improvement in tuning stability at low tensions, by reducing the pitch spike on attack and removing tuning issues caused by fretting too hard on a loose string. The other problems of low tension remain: poor tone, floppiness. Those who use Evertune to use lower tension strings are people who are not bothered by the problems that remain, which i personally find a little odd.
    The 'short scale, detuned, smaller gauge, low tension string' thing has become a bit of an 'Evertune myth'.

I suggest only considering Evertune if you have significant problems with a guitar going out of tune halfway through a live performance or halfway through a studio take.
    But then, if this is happening there may be a cause and a cheaper, simpler solution, like better setup or maintenance.
    I see some people considering Evertune but without any clear need or reason. Due to the disadvantages and cost it's best avoided unless you have a clear need for it. It's not something that is right for everyone.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    efiltsohg, Tisca and LeviathanKiller like this.
  18. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

@ixlramp Thx! Science and arguments works well on me. I think Evertune for me is more about interest than need.

19. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

i love the evertune for touring and recording. It's unreal and one thing not mentioned is that it significantly improves intonation. Super helpful support team too. Can't recommend evertune enough.

20. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

Are you the Northlane guitarist with that sweet offset ESP custom in black?

setsuna7 likes this.