Converting Ibanez RG470 (HSH) to HSS

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by guitaardvark, Jul 20, 2020.

1. guitaardvark

guitaardvark SS.org Regular

Hi all,

I'm converting my RG470 to HSS since I love the sound of strats and had this laying around. As part of this plan, I'm looking for a pickguard that will allow me to do this. Pickguards made for HSS Ibanezes are spaced a little bit differently, so is there a premade one that will allow me to convert it, or will I have to make a custom pickguard?

I realize this may be a lot of work for an old cheap Ibanez, but it has sentimental value to me and I want to modify it into something I'll enjoy playing more.

2. redkombat

redkombat Tree Whore

id go custom on that one

3. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

I think most pickguard manufacturers offer a custom option, and would have a facility to print out a template to use on your guitar, then scan in and send back to them.
    Also, if I was doing this mod I'd look into mounting the pickguard with double sided tape rather than screws, as it looks cleaner, and doesn't involve permanently changing your guitar.
    Also, if you're doing this because you want a project, thats cool, but if you just want strat tones, have you considered wiring a coil tap into a 4 wire neck humbucker?

4. guitaardvark

guitaardvark SS.org Regular

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I ended up fabricating my own from an HSH pickguard and a guitarfetish humbucker to single coil adapter. Some dremeling and superglue, and voila.