Control Layout help

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Mvotre, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

hi guys! Could use some help here. I will tune my cheap Parker with two mini switches, for series/parallel, like described in this link:

GuitarElectronics.com - 2 Humbuckers/3-Way Toggle Switch/1 Volume/Series Parallel

but I need to move some controls around (I will remove the tone pot, and make a new hole for another mini toggle switch). So I made this four options of layout, and would like some opinions (or even some new ideas). I want it to look nice.

[​IMG]

T is for pickup toggle, M for mini switches, and V for volume pot. I don't do volume swells, so I can move the volume pot freely. Also, it's for home playing only, and I don't hit the guitar hard, so I can move the pickup switch next to the bridge.

considerations? I really liked the looks of 1 (LP-ish), but since the mini switches are much smaller, I don't know how they would look. And I will buy the parts, so I can't even go for a dry test.

PS: I also need to shim the neck a bit. I messed with the trussrod, and the neck is really straight and nice, but I would like to lower the action. Since it's a radial neck joint, how would I shim it? A tick cardboard?

2. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

damn, posted in the wrong section. Can a mod please move it to the proper location? :hbang:

3. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

2 or 3 are my preferences.

4. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Guitar Nerd Vendor

I like 3 or 4. As far as action goes, are you able to lower the bridge any more, or is it bottomed out?

5. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

How about replacing the tone knob with a 4PDT switch like this? I understand you're in Brazil, but your local stores might have something.
    4PDT Mini Toggle Switch

Humbuckers aren't designed for parallel mode, so at least test whether they sound sweet or bland, before drilling.

6. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I think #1 is the easiest for one to wrap their pinky finger around.

7. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JmT4HUfnDk

sounded fine to me. I got this exactly mod on my Ibanez. Will just do it in another guitar.

also, regarding the other question, my bridge is already bottomed out. The neck was actually skewed in place. So I removed it, and it got a really small piece of veener as a shim. Now the neck is in the right place, but I could use a lower action. Will try with some thick paper for a first (so I can stack as much as I want).

8. Scordare

Scordare SS.org Regular

I usually regret drilling extra control holes in guitars later on when my tastes change or when reselling. How about push/pull pots on the volume and tone for the series parallel switching or check out the Freeway 6-way toggle switch.

9. djohns74

djohns74 SS.org Regular

One thing you may not have considered is that the existing holes may not all be the same size. 3-way toggles generally use a much larger mounting hole than a pot (possibly 1/2 inch vs 3/8 inch). Mini-toggles then usually use a mounting hole that's smaller than either of them. So unless you're planning to fill and redrill some holes, it's possible that none of these layouts is really going to work as easily as it seems.

10. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar come├ža...
  11. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

it's drilled right now :ugh:

but it's a reminder to me to never try to sell it. Works really nice for me, but I put it for sale a few days ago, and my wife told me to hold to it, seeing that I liked this guitar a lot. I complained, and started modding it so I can never think about selling it again.

but right now a lot of work is going on. Will put pictures later, but in the end will look damn nice :hbang: