Considering new order: Aristides vs. Mayones Core vs. ?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by narad, Feb 1, 2021.

1. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Well, the good news: tentatively declared cancer free this week ::yay:: Half the reason for starting the thread is it just feels good to type this.

Second reason is I guess 2020 was exceptionally shitty for me, and while the whole cancer thing took a lot out me and my bank account, and while it's a long time before I'm really out of the woods, I kinda want to celebrate in some way. I've been thinking about putting in a custom order, mostly between Aristides and Mayones Core.

And I gotta say, I was a bit miffed when I was literally recovering from having some of my kidney removed when I stumble on this meme:

[​IMG]

Like as soon as I have a kidney issue, suddenly kidneys are everywhere! I even started keeping a folder with all the kidney-related gear comments. And c'mon guys, they're worth way more than that!

But anyway I actually know enough about Aristides / Mayones are like hands-on, though maybe not what their orders and backlogs and things are like. But I haven't done a custom guitar in like 4-5 years somehow, and haven't been paying so much attention to the marketplace. Anything new that can compare with these two builders I should be considering? Lead-times still reasonable? Aristides was always pretty predictable, but usually seemed complicated to get the finish options I wanted. Anyone get one recently and can comment?

2. geeman8

geeman8 SS.org Regular

While I don't have any info on these companies, I just wanted to congratulate you on the good news! That's great stuff to hear!

narad likes this.
  3. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

I don't know anything about Aristides or Mayones, but really glad to hear the great news!

narad likes this.
  4. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

Congrats on your path to recovery!

I think the Aristides build time is still reasonable, in the few months, but I could be wrong. No idea about Mayone. Whatever you choose, it's going to be an insane NGD!

narad likes this.
  5. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

I'm not going to be any help here but just so glad to hear this update. I don't care what you get but I sure as hell hope that you wind up with something that you absolutely love... You deserve it!

narad likes this.
  6. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

_MonSTeR_, narad and JSanta like this.
  7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

That’s great news dude!!!! You’ve owned both so you now all about the quality and ordering process. I guess it comes down to fancy wood or colour finish Between those two.

As for customs I can highly recommend Carillion. He should be opening the order books again soon. You could go all out with a crazy custom shape then.

StevenC and narad like this.
  8. Mboogie7

Mboogie7 SS.org Regular

Can’t speak to the guitars as I haven’t played either but really just want to say congratulations on your fight with cancer. Seriously, this was a great post to wake up to today. Congratulations friend and the absolute best luck forward!

narad likes this.
  9. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

Congrats!
    I loved my aristides, build was flawless and responsible turn around time.

narad likes this.
  10. Taikatatti

Taikatatti SS.org Regular

Aristides all day.

narad likes this.
  11. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

Thats great news!! Congratulations

I have 2 Mayo's and they are great - but their custom shop is very expensive and has 12+ lead time last time I checked.

The Raw series of Aristides have a much shorter wait time.

I'd go for the Aristides (but thats because I have 2 Mayos anyway, and I'm really gassing a headless multiscale and the H/0 looks great)

narad likes this.
  12. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Teeentatiiiiiiveleeeeeeey canceeeeerr freeeeeeeee!

Idk, buy both homie.

groverj3, narad and shupe13 like this.
  13. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Congrats on chucking that shit a beating!

No info on either, want to try out both tho.

narad likes this.
  14. BigViolin

BigViolin JEFF LOOMIS SOLOIST!

Damn brother, that news just made my day!

I dig the Aristides thing and I want one but news like this deserves beautiful wood. Mayo...just skip the silly plastic hannes bridge.

Fuck cancer.

narad likes this.
  15. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

Congrats Narad, that's ace news. Fuck Cancer.

I would assume Aristides should be very close to their quoted times given that their process is more... futuristic? timetables for molds and such should be fairly standardized. Page is currently quoting 10 months for finishes and 7 months raw, and I can tell you with 100% certainty that that number has moved twice in the last couple months at least, which leads me to believe they're on top of it. (I've visited that page more times than I dare admit these past few months lol)

narad likes this.
  16. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Great news on your recovery!! Wishing you all the best for the future.

narad and Forkface like this.
  17. shupe13

shupe13 SS.org Regular

Congrats on your health and you can't go wrong with either guitar looking at the reviews!

narad and Forkface like this.
  18. Dudley

Dudley SS.org Regular

Huge congrats on your health!

Aristides is quoting 9-10 months for painted and 6-7 months for Raw series at present.

Mayones is likely to be over a year BUT depending on what you want, which dealer you approach and what stock they’ve already got on order and how far through the build process those guitars are you might be able to cut that wait down considerably. I’ve had experiences of approaching dealers for a quote and they’ve been able to get the wait down to 7 or 8 months because they already had some orders placed with the factory that they could amend in to what I was after. This is a big ‘if’ and far from a guarantee though.

I picked up an Aristides last year and have another on order at the moment and I’m finishing up my next Regius build. They both make very nice guitars, but then so do a lot of companies at this price point. If I could only have one I’d take Mayones every single time without hesitation. It’s all personal preference of course but for me the Aristides are nice and the Mayones are exceptional.

Aristides you’ll be dealing with directly and they get a lot of praise for their customer support whereas with Mayones you’ll have to go through a dealer - some are brilliant, others less so. Whenever I’ve contacted the guys at the Mayo factory directly they’ve been great, can’t praise their customer service enough.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    narad likes this.
  19. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Whoa, would have never thought you were going through that - HUGE congrats on getting that shit kicked in the balls!

Also, Mayo.

narad likes this.
  20. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Good to hear you're on the path to recovery man, regardless of the guitar stuff I'm just glad you're doing better.

I can give you some base level information about the Mayo process since I jumped into that last year, lead time was quoted at 10 - 12 months. At least you don't have to go through a dealer then Mayo USA like you used to :lol:

But in regards to Aristides in 2021 I couldn't tell you much other than there was a planned minor price hike last I talked to them. Their output seems fairly consistent, so it's probably the same as ever sitting at 6 - 8 months wait time depending on your options. I'll probably order a headless aristides at some point next year.

narad likes this.