Considering a Carvin?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by jawbreaker, Mar 21, 2012.

1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I wouldn't be too thankful as Carvin uses the cheaper OEM TRS units, not the TRS Pros on their 7-strings. It's also a pain in the butt to upgrade the bridge as Carvin uses different string spacing than other FR units.

Still, just about my only major gripe with Carvin 7s.

The TRS isn't a piece of shit though, far from it, it's just not something I'd prefer on $1k+ spec'd guitars. Still beats the crap out of the cheap, non-branded OEM units Agile uses.

2. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

^ Isn't the TRS-PRO at least the same size and string spacing if one wants an upgrade that doesn't screw with playability?

3. MaxOfMetal

The TRS that Carvin uses is OEM, and made specifically for Carvin, so no a Pro won't be a 100% drop in replacement. The TRS Pro has the same dimensions as an OFR, roughly.

So if you're going to take the time to upgrade the trem, make it worth it with an OFR or similar unit. It'll take some shoe-horning to get it, and you'll have to mess with spacing and shims, but it's definitely doable. In fact there was an article on here from years ago about someone installing an OFR in their DC7x7.

4. GTailly

GTailly Intellect's Minion

I have owned a Carvin DC127 and currently own a DC727 as my main guitar.
    I also used to own an agile intrepid 8 string. I can't really tell if 7's and 8's from agile are similar quality-wise but I can tell you I sold my intrepid 4 months after buying it... The guitar just did not feel right and I was pretty deceived.

On the other hand, the carvins never disappointed me and I love every aspects of my DC727. The quality of the guitar is just fantastic.

I would definitely go with Carvin.

5. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

How can you change string spacing? Seems like you'd have to do enough work that you might as well machine your own baseplate with the right spacing.

6. MaxOfMetal

You don't change the spacing, you just have to deal with the strings being a little closer to the end of the board. You can shim them a little to make 1mm or 2mm changes, but that's only for minor adjustment so you don't have the strings too close to the edges of the board.

7. Osiris

Osiris SS.org Regular

I've heard Carvin CTs compared to PRSes, and I would imagine all Carvins are of roughly the same quality given CRC technology. Carvins are also twice as much as Agiles so it's kind of a goofy question.

8. bcfox

bcfox SS.org Regular

I had the same question about a month ago. I ordered a Carvin DC747.

The Carvin card should be like any credit card, really. Apply for it; and if you get approved, you can buy Carvin gear with it. I don't know anything about credit limits on it, though. Since the build time will be at least two months, all you need is 20% down to get the build started. So if you don't have the credit to qualify for the card and are only partially there on the cash, you don't have to have the last 80% until the last week or so of build time.

9. renzoip

renzoip I Am the Table

I say Carvin hands down. But I would suggest a DC700 instead because the pickups are much better than the passive C66's. Also, I would suggest getting a fixed bridge. Their trems are good, but they are LFR, because OFR is not compatible with their string spacing. That being said, the neck on Carvin 7's is my favorite. :yesway:

But their built quality and sound is far superior than that of Agile's.

10. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

As stated above, the lack of a 26.5" or 27" option on thier 7 strings is a deal breaker for me, but given all the available options and the craftsmanship and quality of materials that goes into a Carvin i would still take it over an agile any day of the week.

11. Erazoender

Erazoender Aliens

12. Thyrif

Thyrif SS.org Regular

I love my DC727 to death! (even it if has a lfr, I just locked it..) So get the fixed bridge if you can. I like it better than any Ibanez 7's I've played (including the really nice 1527, but the carvin was still a little nicer). The only thing that might replace it is another DC727 with a fixed bridge, but I might just keep both! xD

(okay, okay.. Maybe a JP xD)

13. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

I've previously owned a DC727, DC127 and DC135. Definitely recommeded, very nice instruments indeed! Go for the tung oiled neck option and you will not be disappointed!

14. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

as far as the carvin card goes, you just need to make sure you pay off the purchase in full before the 6 month 0% apr is up. If you dont you get face raped on the interest. I think its just shy of 30%. and like they say in the hood, "fuck that shit homie!"

15. SYLrules88

SYLrules88 I play drums!

dont consider a carvin JUST BUY ONE THEY ARE FUCKING GREAT

16. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

They'll also let you do all sorts of silly bursts if that's your thing. :lol: Behold.... Spiderman's sig model! :rofl: :D

[​IMG]

17. TheBigGroove

TheBigGroove SS.org Regular

@HighGain510 - is that the DC727 that was in GC's used section? What a steal!

But yeah, I honestly have to say that the DC727 I played was one of the nicest 7 strings I've ever laid my hands on. And I'm pretty sure you can't get the kind of wood options they offer at that price level anywhere else....they're simply just not my style. If they'd just offer different fretboard radii and baritone scale lengths, I'm sure I'd have several.

18. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

what radius are you needing? And your damn right on the wood prices. I only paid $150 upcharge for this.

[​IMG]

19. zslane

zslane Member

The 20% down on Carvin custom builds is optional, btw.

One annoying thing about Carvin 7-strings is that their passive pickups are smaller than all the aftermarket pickups out there, which means upgrades won't fit into the routs without either modification to the body or the new pickups.

But other than that, I really like the Carvin 7 string models and the flexibility you get in building one from their custom shop. And I actually like the shorter (i.e., 25.5") scale length. If only their passive routs weren't so small...