Conductive paint/pickup cavities

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by KR250, Jun 1, 2019.

1. KR250

KR250 Build addict

Ok, this may be really basic but curious on thoughts for order of finishing in regards to pickup cavities using conductive paint. Typically I've taped off the cavities when applying finishing, then applied conductive paint in the cavities afterwards without any finish over it. In doing so I also realize that the conductive paint is quite susceptible to damage, but allows me an easy way to test resistance, and also allows contact with cavity to cover plate(s). Considering at the very least, applying finish underneath the conductive paint. Applying finish over the top would limit conductivity with any cover plate, but would protect the paint.

Curious on others thoughts/process on this.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Are you having issues with conductive paint adhering to the cavity? Are you using an old can? The only time I've had issues with shielding paint was when the can was old. It just kind of crumbled when dry.

Additionally, if you're not into the paint method, if you cut your cavity right, using the rolls of copper tape isn't too bad.

3. KR250

KR250 Build addict

Not having any issues really, just want to see if I can make the coating more durable or see how others are doing it. I've done copper a few times, I just don't like that look in the pickup areas.

4. Deor

Deor SS.org Regular

Try some conductive lacquer if you can find some. I used to have problems with conductive paint getting scratched and marred very easily when installing electronics, made the switch to Graphit 33 in an aerosol can and have not looked back. It's much more durable.

KR250 and odibrom like this.