Concrete walls and floors with plywood ceiling?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Kiju, Jul 22, 2021 at 1:19 AM.

1. Kiju

Kiju Casual Producer

Hi!

My room is all concrete but there's a beam hanging in the middle and it would catch a bad frequency and I can't treat the corner there so I thought about putting a plywood but the ceiling would not be concrete anymore.

My concern is, is it better to have the ceiling as concrete but with a beam hanging or flat ceiling but covered with plywood?

Thanks!

2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

What do you mean about it catching a bad frequency? With a room of all concrete, I’d think there would be sound bouncing everywhere, not just the beam.

Kiju likes this.
  3. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Elegant Djentleman

Is the ceiling actually giving you a problem at the moment? That's the big question.

Personally I suspect you can treat the beam if you think creatively. The problem is that the corner makes a retroreflector, and if you can cut the corner then you'll get rid of a lot of the potential problem. Anything that brakes up the hard corner will do. Strips of foam or foamboard, or even rolled up blanket, just to fill that sharp internal corner.

I also agree with @Hollowway that concrete is normally a really bad substance for sound - I guess you will be treating the rest of the room?

Hollowway likes this.
  4. Kiju

Kiju Casual Producer

Yea I mean the beam is hanging making it the room unusual. It's not box anymore so I thought it would do that but if not, I guess I don't need the plywood then

5. Kiju

Kiju Casual Producer

Actually I'm still in a building phase and the result would look like that. I only based this on the internet as they were saying that 4 equal sides, and same materials are better rather than unusual shape and sizes and different materials for your room.

6. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Well, I guess it depends on what you’re looking for. If you want a dampening of sound, don’t go with the hard surfaces. I’d you want a little small-room reverb, leave it concrete.

Kiju likes this.