Compressor or Sonic Maximizer?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by 7th_Heaven, Oct 31, 2010.

1. 7th_Heaven

7th_Heaven Active Member

Hey guys i'm running a rack setup right now with my Line 6 POD XT pro as my main preamp, im contimplating whether or not a compressor or sonic maximizer would give me some more clarity, volume & note definition, let me know what i should or can do!!!! :shred:

2. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

The sonic maximizer, *if used correctly*, will add clarity and depth to your tone. I loved it when I ran a rack, and if I went back to a rack I'd get another. :yesway:

3. 7th_Heaven

7th_Heaven Active Member

Awesome man, they aren't that expensive anymore which is a good is a good thing, I'm pretty sure there currently are two versions one which is balanced and unbalanced, I'm actually really stoked to pick one up, if anyone has anymore ideas on anything that will be great....thanks!!!!

4. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

The sonic maximizer, I have found to work well with my SS bass amp (fender BXR), but do absolutely nothing at any levels to my Mark V w/ 412. It shined on the bass during faster runs, as typically blitzing out some notes would leave the low end behind so to speak, the note never got to bloom for lack of better terminology. It helped to solve that, although I didn't get to try it out recording yet.

5. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I think if it's more clarity and note definition I were after, I'd be looking at my pickups.

6. 7th_Heaven

7th_Heaven Active Member

My pickups are fine, I got Bareknuckle warpigs in everything except my 7 string which has a John Petrucci Drop Sonic 7 in the bridge, I need something to brighten and push my overall tone make it fuller, I already have killer tone it's just I need a little something extra!!!!

7. Daggorath

Daggorath -.-

I've heard good things about Keeley modded boss compressors. In that Periphery rig tour video they seem to love em, and they're definitely fans of that clear, defined tone.

8. Despised_0515

Despised_0515 Bassist of Redivider Contributor

They used Keeley 4-Knob Comps.

I say go for a compressor for that extra something, not the Sonic Maximizer. Do a bit of researching as some people seem to love what the Keeley's do and others claim it to be too much of a squish.

I've got a Maxon CP101 on it's way to me and I went with that due to most reviews saying that it's not a super obvious compressor and that's totally what I'm after. Just that little bit of added chord depth and sustain.

9. emperor_black

emperor_black SS.org Regular

Ok, first off, compressor and Sonic maximizer do entirely different things. Compressor will make sure you're hitting the preamp at a constant volume. It evens out the volume. Its great for lead playing but for rhythm work it will not work that well.

Sonic maximizer will definitely add more clarity to your tone, make it sound more hi-fi but does have an overall effect of a scooped mids type tone. It alter the phase such that both the lows and highs "arrive" to the listeners ears at the same time. At low volumes it might sound like adding a little more presence but at super loud volumes it will make you hear yourself better.

Even with the AXE FX, I was able to hear a change in the tone but the AXE has do many other ways of doing what the SM does that I eventually sold it. I would highly recommend the SM over the compressor.

10. 7th_Heaven

7th_Heaven Active Member

Yes man thanks for the detailed tip, the Maximizer is defiantly what I'm after, my POD XT PRO does have decent compression tweaking but I'd still rather have an entire new rack unit of something that will help me, so far I'm sold on the SM, and yeah the dudes in Periphery do use the Kelley 4 Knob Compressor but it's not what I'm really after at this point maybe if they had a rack version lmao!!!!!

11. rotebass

rotebass SS.org Regular

I personally think the Sonic Maximizers sound terrible, from the perspective of a sound technician, every time I see a Maximizer in a rack or a Sonic Stomp on the pedal board they usually foreshadow really, really bad tone.

Some alternatives to a Maximizer are:
    - Better amp
    - Better EQ'ing
    - Less Gain
    - Better Technique

All this is IMO of course, but there is a good reason that no (or very few) pro guitarists, bassists, sound techs, etc have a SM in their rack.

12. JPhoenix19

because pro guitarists, bassists, and sound techs usually have other (read: more expensive) great gear to process their sound. :cool:

:wub:

13. rotebass

rotebass SS.org Regular

So why not put that money in the bank and save up for that great gear so you can have great tone too? Sorry, I just don't believe in half-assing things like this.

14. 7th_Heaven

7th_Heaven Active Member

I'll go to my local shop and see what the SM would sound like with my rig, thanks for the tips guys, I guess I just have to experiment with things before I waste money!!!! :shred:

15. Enselmis

Enselmis SS.org Regular

This. Sonic maximizers are just an excuse to spend a bit of money and hope for the best. Definitely not worth the cash. If you're just looking for that little extra, then you'll survive with your current tone long enough to find something that REALLY does it. If it's a huge problem, then there are things I'd look into before a sonic maximizer to fix it. My opinion at least.

16. emperor_black

Guys, I've heard this argument all day long. But the SM does not cost a TON of money and very easy to get rid of. Like I said, it does have a scooped mids type of effect which many dislike but in my band it saved my ass by allowing me and others to hear me over the din of the guitarist with two cabs and a 300lb drummer.

17. JPhoenix19

Thank you!

Without going into detail about what it actually does, the sonic maximizer is an effect that has a specific purpose. It's not a 'cruise control' for amazing tone! Like compression, it's more of a subtle effect to add an extra measure of 'that something' to your tone- if that's what you're going for. It's not more commonly seen it pro's rigs because by nature it's not an 'essential' effect- you can get great tone without one, but many people I've seen who use it correctly prefer their tone with it than without it.

To the OP, trying it out is the best option. Just be very conservative with the 'process' knob. I'd say don't turn it up past 9 o'clock when you're first testing it, and be sure to A/B your tone with and without it from a distance away to fully grasp what it's doing to your sound. :yesway:

18. emperor_black

:D Finally, someone who thinks along the same lines as myself.

19. 7th_Heaven

7th_Heaven Active Member

Yea man thanks, I'll be sure to give it a good test before I buy one...thanks!!!!:hbang:

20. emperor_black

Yeah. be careful with the process knob. Too much will make your tone sound very "digital" I liked it anywhere between 11 0' clock to 1 o'clock.