Compressor as an OD/Boost?

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Apparently some people use a comp as an overdrive or boost. How does that work? I'd think it would reduce the volume (limiter), but I don't have much experience with a comp. I was kind of looking at the Dyna Comp Deluxe or Custom Comp Deluxe.

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
Most have enough "makeup" volume to boost the front of an amp, particularly if only modestly compressing.

Necky379

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes, people may disagree with me because “the 5150 is already so compressed” but a compressor set as a boost sounds great in front of a 5150. My favorite is actually a Marshall ED-1. It cuts some low end, has an emphasis knob and the sweep on the compression knob works at low settings where I’d put it. I’d stack it in front of an OD pedal and lower the level on the OD. Now I run a dual amp setup, the ED-1 flips phase and it doesn’t sound good in front of my Cobra so I just leave it out for now. I have a Radial splitter coming in with a phase switch so it’s likely I’ll be using it again after that shows up. Another plus is that the ED-1 is cheap. 6505+ likes it too.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes, people may disagree with me because “the 5150 is already so compressed” but a compressor set as a boost sounds great in front of a 5150. My favorite is actually a Marshall ED-1. It cuts some low end, has an emphasis knob and the sweep on the compression knob works at low settings where I’d put it. I’d stack it in front of an OD pedal and lower the level on the OD. Now I run a dual amp setup, the ED-1 flips phase and it doesn’t sound good in front of my Cobra so I just leave it out for now. I have a Radial splitter coming in with a phase switch so it’s likely I’ll be using it again after that shows up. Another plus is that the ED-1 is cheap. 6505+ likes it too.
I wasn't aware Marshall had a compressor to be honest.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I see. I tried finding a demo with distortion, but couldn't in the few vids I saw.

This sounds pretty good. I wonder what the difference is between this and the Dyna Comp Deluxe.

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My (sometimes) signal chain is guitar > old Digitech GNX1 > OD > 5150 > multi fx & graphic EQ in the loop > 2x12.

The GNX is only used for noise gate, wah, compressor, and a few fx when futzing around.

I went back and forth with the compressor but ended up leaving it on. I don't squash real hard and set the gain just a bit above unity. I'm sure there are "better" compressors out there but it works. It's kind of like getting a little "more" out of the OD - just a bit tighter and thicker.

Overall it fu*&ng kills. If I want more I run the other output of the GNX into a second OD > Mesa Mark V > 4x12 at the same time. Kick on FX in one rig or the other...it's unbelievably good. Would probably be absolute mud in a mix...but alone it's freakin' awesome.

4Eyes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You can use any pedal which level/volume goes to + xx dB as a boost. Some people use EQ pedals as boosts, too. Which have added benefit of filtering some frequencies to tighten the sound. But it depends on the use and sound you're after.

wakjob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Check out some of Andy Wood's gear videos. He used to use the CM Compressor as an always on boost ala Andy Timmons. He now has his own sig compressor made by Suhr called the "Woodshed Comp". I bought it, and it is really great as a boost in front of an amp. It's colorless and HOT. And when you turn the comp control to zero, it becomes strictly a boost with no compressing effect at all.

Good luck!

skullfxr

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I use a cmatmods compressor for a boost on leads on my K-Tre and Rockerverb. I put it out front and have great results for a few years. Thickens it up some and adds some girth and smoothness. Not for rhythm playing much though

ScottThunes1960

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was a “compressor always on” guy who swore by the red DynaComp for many years. It gave my clean chords bloom and sustain, and my lead tones more sustain at lower gain. I eventually decided to try being a “guitar into amp” player who used the volume knob as a channel switcher, and haven’t switched back yet.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
It's gotta have a blend control if you wanna get a good "boost tone" out of it. Xotic SP with the compression dip set to low and blend control down to 1/4 or less with the volume control turned up is a great full sounding clean boost tone.

guitar_player4_2_0

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve got a TC Plethora X5 and it doesn’t have any drive pedals but it does have a compressor. I’d never tried this before but I gave it a shot and it actually works quite well. Never really used a compressor before at all, I’d always assumed they were more for clean country playing. Once I learned what they actually do it didn’t sound like something I need as I play high gain 90% of the time. I stand corrected. It’s not something I’d use all the time but in a pinch it works quite well as a boost, and some may even prefer it to an overdrive.