Cold sweat 8s in 2228. not digging it too much :(

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by loktide, Nov 19, 2009.

1. loktide

loktide dotlike Contributor

hi guys! i just wanted to comment on my impressions about the BKP cold sweat 8-string set i just installed in my 2228.

to start off, i've been playing since yesterday for a few hours through my axe-fx through headphones and monitors, trying a bunch of different patches/settings. my first impression after installing them wasn't 'woaaah' but more like 'okaay'. here's why:

my impression on the CS8s is that the very pronounced highs result in a 'quacky' almost single-coil like attack. pretty much like turning up the highs in the 'drive' block EQ on the axe-fx. this makes string rattling, especially on the lower two strings, VERY audible, and also gives the sound a very weird overall sound, almost like a mixture of a single-coil and a humbucker. cleans can be good, but are highly unusual at first because of the lack of body and punch you'd expect from humbucker. I almost thought i wired them incorrectly after hearing them through a clean patch. (i'm pretty sure they're wired correctly since the coil splitting cables were already wired up together, as well as the ground cables black and bare).

Maybe it's a thing with BKP and 27" basswood ibbys, since the painkiller 7 i had in my 7680 also had a similar 'quacky' high-end, which made me replace it with the Evo7 i had in it before.

I must say i LOVE the set of nailbombs in my rga121 as well as the warpigs in my rg3120. They both sound simply stunning, and i can fully understand their reputation. So it's 2 out of 2 BKPs i find incredibly great in mahagony, against 2 out of 2 BKPs i'm not completely sold on 27" basswood.

at this point, i'm thinking about giving them a little more time of "getting used to". i may ask Tim at BKP if i can try a different set or have them rewinded to taim down the high-end and give them more punch

:2c:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  2. Apophis

Apophis Banned

thanks for info :agreed: pickups for 8 string HAVE TO be DESIGNED, just wider 7 string versions won't work :) but I think BKP pickups are designed for sure, maybe just final result is not you are looking for :) Trying different set may be the best idea :yesway:

3. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

the painkiller might be closer to what you want, then. it has a more aggressive voicing, but less high end. it´s got a smooth high end roll-off.

4. loktide

dunno man, i had a painkiller 7 in my 7680 and wasn't completely sold on it either :(

thanks for the suggestion, though

5. loktide

i've been thinking about this, and maybe it's just i don't like something about the sound of 27" basswood guitars that can't be fixed by switching pickups :shrug:

anyway, i just wanted to share my initial experience with the cold sweat set.

6. cyril v

cyril v Contributor

could you record this "quackiness" you're talking about, I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about... but it'd be easier to just hear it. Sounds like you're describing the tone of the 707s to me, so i'm wondering if it sounds similar.

just out of curiosity, what kind of eq settings are you working with?

7. Phlegethon

Phlegethon SS.org Regular

well there's two things that grab my attention here. first one is that you're not liking any combination of BKP/basswood body/27" scale length. second is that you're running into an axe fx

from what I'm aware of, the axe fx does require a significant time investment for tweaking in general and doing something like a p/up swap could very well mean that you're back to square one in terms of finding a pleasing tone, meaning a lot of time doing parameter adjusting.

second thing might be that you just won't ever like BKP's in a basswood guitar as a matter of personal preference. it's certainly not on the account that the BKP's are bad, but personal preferences are personal preferences. from what I've just read about the cold sweats they *should* match up with a basswood body (well. . .in theory at least)

8. The Echthros

The Echthros Stupid, apparently

I think this just may be an instance where the all mighty BKPs may just faulter. The only real big name guitarist I know using BKPs is actually chris broderick (NB/CS), and to be honest if the tone on Endgame is any indication on what he is achieving with BKPs he can keep 'em.

It is interesting though...as I right this I just looked him up on Wikipedia(not the most reliable of sources...but meh) and they say he is using DActivators now...so who knows what gear contributed from the Broderick "shit tone" on Endgame.

9. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

Its cool bro - I too went through 3 BKPs which after the initial placebo effect weren't really any more different than say SDs to me. I had tried the Ceramic Warpig, thePainkiller and the Holy Diver.

Maybe BKPs just aren't your thing? Check out Nodstrands or Lundgrens?

10. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

:idea:

:lol:

11. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

I found that the Nailbombs i had for a while also had a vaguely single-coil-like attack to them, particularly when i rolled off the volume a bit.

12. loktide

i agree that's is a matter of tweaking with the axe-fx to some extent. i hope to record something with it soon and see how it works in a mix.

@djpharaoa: i agree with you that BKPs are quite hyped. especially the non 6-string models i've played so far haven't impressed me. i do think their 6string models have a unique voice, which is quite different from duncans and dimarzio for example.

13. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

So I see in your sig you have Blackouts now. Is that your personal favorite pickup, if you had a choice? I've only played EMG808s, Dimarzios and passive Duncans, so I have no experience with Nordstrands, Lundgrens, BKPs or Armstrongs, etc. But I'd like to hear your input (if it's not totally derailing the OPs original topic...)