coffee thread

KnightBrolaire

mortuus intus
Reaction score
FYI: Trader Joes has a really good single origin from Uganda. It's very different from most African coffee I've had. It's very mellow, with none of the acid/fruityness of say a kenyan/ethiopian coffee. There's a hint of walnut to the smell/taste and it's quite interesting.

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Coffee is so…. Wintertime. Legendary energy, epic focus.

C6-EC87-C2-FADE-4-D6-D-B34-A-3-FBD9-C42-D682.jpg

47591026-CEC3-4D02-9A2A-ADB3F275E89D.jpg

Saw and confirmed you were in Jacksonville -- but I swear I can smell the air in a picture taken in Florida, even one as nondescript as this.

LordCashew

formerly an iron spatula
Reaction score
FYI: Trader Joes has a really good single origin from Uganda. It's very different from most African coffee I've had. It's very mellow, with none of the acid/fruityness of say a kenyan/ethiopian coffee. There's a hint of walnut to the smell/taste and it's quite interesting.
I'm in, thanks for the recommendation. :yesway:

In other news, this morning I finished off a bag of Ethiopian from Spearhead in Paso Robles. Blueberry and dark chocolate to the max, with acidity I would describe as "only medium." Maybe my favorite Ethiopian so far.

Also recently had a bag of Kona from Bean and Bean. The beans were beautiful and roasted perfectly, and the coffee had some subtle nuttiness that paired well with savory breakfast food. But despite the obvious quality I may just not be a Kona guy. I actually prefer Bean and Bean's honey-processed coffees from Latin America, which are more complex and distinctive despite being less expensive. They are also more acidic, particularly the Red Honey which gets into the realm of strawberry and even lime zest notes.

KnightBrolaire

mortuus intus
Reaction score
I'm in, thanks for the recommendation. :yesway:

In other news, this morning I finished off a bag of Ethiopian from Spearhead in Paso Robles. Blueberry and dark chocolate to the max, with acidity I would describe as "only medium." Maybe my favorite Ethiopian so far.

Also recently had a bag of Kona from Bean and Bean. The beans were beautiful and roasted perfectly, and the coffee had some subtle nuttiness that paired well with savory breakfast food. But despite the obvious quality I may just not be a Kona guy. I actually prefer their less expensive honey-processed coffees from Latin America, which are more complex and distinctive. They are also more acidic, particularly the Red Honey which gets into the realm of strawberry and even lime zest notes.
My favorite ethiopian coffee is Worka Sakaro from Red Rooster. I think I mentioned it a few pages ago. The fermenting intensifies the fruity and berry qualities of the coffee, so it had a really neat strawberry/goji vibe to it. Definitely on the brighter/more acidic side but not in a bad way.

Good Kona tends to give me that chocolate/earthy quality I find in central american coffees like Guatemalan or Costa Rican stuff.
Intelligentsia had a really cool Mexican single origin coffee that had like a cola/lime flavor to it.

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not saying they're making flavors up now, but I'm pretty sure they are.

C0-FAED76-1683-4470-9-B3-E-C12-CD68-BFAF6.jpg

I'll let you guys know about the SUPERHUMAN PERFORMANCE in a bit.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I thought maybe SUPERHUMAN was the flavor, and Performance was the type? Like, you may not be drinking Homelander, but you may have gotten a little bit of A-Train in there.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Nah i swore superhuman was the flavor too!

How was that Ghost one by the way? I have those near me and need to switch up caffeines every once and a while, bang does nothing anymore, switched to Red Bull which weirdly has less caffeine but started "working" and now thats losing its "bite".

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nah i swore superhuman was the flavor too!

How was that Ghost one by the way? I have those near me and need to switch up caffeines every once and a while, bang does nothing anymore, switched to Red Bull which weirdly has less caffeine but started "working" and now thats losing its "bite".

That Ghost one was legit. The Cellucor C4 has a little too much beta alanine in it for my liking (they used to make a preworkout powder back in the day that would get you going bigtime, though).

I kind of like those Alani Nu's or whatever the fuck they're called. You can get them by the truckload at Wal-Marts around here, and they even have them in the drink coolers up front so now you can become a raging dickhead before even leaving the parking lot!

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Man, C4 protein powder when you get a good batch is fucking delicious as shit, taste like a Frostee that's good for you; but when it's bad? It's fucking BAD. I got burned on legit half the ones I bought so I kicked them to the curb in favor of Dymatize or Premier Protein.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
To be completely fair, even as a kid I hated pumpkin pie. Mom still talks about how she could set a piece in front of me with whipped cream when I was a baby and I'd somehow peel off every tiny bit of evidence it ever had whipped cream on it, without touching the main film of the pie. I tasted it once and that was enough for me.

I tried it again as an adult and yup. I made the right decision. How anyone likes that texture / flavor profile is utterly beyond me.

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Kill it with fire!

Pumpkin spice belongs nowhere near coffee. WTF basic white girls? WTF?

SO Starbucks pumpkin spice is an abomination, that shit I posted up above is an abomination, but the woman wanted it. There is a local coffee shop right down the street that makes their own pumpkin stuff and theirs is amazing. It's about the only one I'll do.