Coated String for ERG

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Miijk, May 30, 2017.

1. Miijk

Miijk Walking E-string

I must begin to say that I suffer from nickel allergy so uncoated strings are a no go for me!

I do love Elixir strings, however they don't offer much choice for ERG strings... which is a known problem :wallbash:

Do you guys now about any other brands that might offer a better range of gauges?

Any help is welcome, thank you in advance! :wavey:

2. Scordare

Scordare SS.org Regular

What about stainless steel strings?

3. Miijk

Miijk Walking E-string

Sounds interresting, care to elaborate? :cheers:

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

What sort of strings had you been using?

Even with stainless strings, there are not as many options as there are with "conventional" nickel-steel roundwound strings...

Stainless strings do tend to last longer. They feel tighter than nickel steel strings, and they sound brighter. Some say they chew up frets, but I use them on my jazz boxes and I never noticed any issues. I've never tried them for rock/metal guitar, but I've tried them on bass and I quite liked the snappy tone and how I could get good tension with lighter gauges.

5. Miijk

Miijk Walking E-string

Well, been using Elixir now for many years, but before that, mostly just the usual Daddario and Ernie Ball strings. Everywhere there are just nickel... it's a bit frustrating since I really like to get into the ERG again and I like to tune low, like drop E... huge Deftones fan :lol: But yeah, I'm reluctant to pursue it because of the problems with strings(obviously since that's the issue here, heh).

Anyways, as long as I can find some thicker gauges for the 8 and 7 string I can still use a regular Elixir set atleast!

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I mean, that's the trade-off. Tuning down to E is going to simply leave you with fewer options. I've never liked using a bass string, but that might be your best option, considering your allergy. Elixir makes bass strings, and stainless strings are available for bass, as well as other hypoallergenic materials, but as far as guitar strings, it's not easy to find a 0.090"

7. Scordare

Scordare SS.org Regular

I mentioned Stainless steel because it is considered hypoallergenic. Are you ok with the Elixir plain strings? ..They aren't coated but have a "Anti rust plating" on them. What about fretwire? ..it typically contains 18 percent nickel. Sorry for my curiosity, I have only know one person who had an allergy to metal(aluminum) and he couldn't get anywhere near it.

8. Miijk

Miijk Walking E-string

Thank you both for the responses! Thankfully the 8 I'm getting has a 29" scale so that might help a to thin out the gauge at least.

I don't have any problems with frets tbh, my allergy doesn't seem that bad atleast, again, I'm thankful!

As for bass strings, I never really tried them on guitar, but hey, I'm open to any suggestions!

9. MatthewLeisher

MatthewLeisher Ghostmaker

Cleartone makes strings in all kinds of gauges. You'll have to order a custom set because they don't offer an 8 string set, but if you hit them up I'm sure they'll have no problem with it. They're a cool company.

10. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

You can continue using Elixir if you want, I use them on my 6's, 7's, and on my 8.

Their guitar string range is admittedly weak when it comes to thicker strings, but luckily their bass strings are made in the same way, and sound the same. The only downsides are the ball end is bigger on the bass strings, and they cost more than guitar singles. They do .060, .065, .070, .075, .080, etc. I currently have 11-48+65 on my seven (in A), and 9-46+56+70 on my 8 (in F).

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I recently switched from a 68 Elixir low B to a 64 bass Elixir for my floating bridge seven strings, and have had no problems - sounds exactly like a guitar string. On a fixed bridge the larger ball might cause problems, however.

12. Miijk

Miijk Walking E-string

Thanks for the info! I can live with strings being a bit more expensive as long as I can avoid an allergic reaction ;)

But anyways, now I know what strings to get, thank you all! :banana:

13. Miijk

Miijk Walking E-string

Next dilemma: Can't decide if I should get a 75 or an 80 for the low E :wallbash: