Climate Change

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Genetics and environment aren't the only selection factor,especially in the case of humans, where the evolutionary presure can be changed by conscious choices. Simple case: war. If the low sperm count but more technologically advanced decide to eradicate the high sperm count "threat", that's your pressure right there and it has nothing to do with genetics.
Erm, well, it might have something to do with genetics, but it's all very poorly understood, at least in terms of what's considered mainstream acceptable science. There does seem to be some genetic drive on aggression, although it's certainly not stronger than environmental factors, but it does seem to exist to some unclear extent.

And there have been tons of computer simulations to show that entities (thinking of organisms here, but could be anything) who show aggression over obtaining resources tend to, well, obtain more resources. Even if a bunch of them die due to their aggressive behaviour, those who don't die usually obtain enough resources to create enough surplus progeny to make up for it.

So if the evolutionary pressure to have a high sperm count is underbalanced by the evolutionary pressure to aggressively steal resources from others of the same species, then the evolutionary pressure will favour aggression over sperm count and trend that direction.

Just editorializing here, but maybe that's why most peaceful independent cultures throughout history have ended up being abused by other more aggressive cultures, and highly aggressive cultures, for example the North Sentinalese, have persisted unchallenged for millennia.

Lol I was going to comment something how the hell did a thread about climate change turn into one about sperm count

why is there climate change?

Answer: because you won’t stop touching yourself .. didn’t your mother ever warn you if you keep doing that you’re gonna make the sea levels rise!

All that friction generates heat. :lol:

I think that the general drift of the topic was something like: climate change is caused by humans (someone says "nu-uh," but then is rebuffed by heaps of evidence) - there are too many humans (someone says "nu-uh," but then is rebuffed by heaps of evidence) - there are now 8 billion humans - someone looking for a nit to pick makes some argument about sperm count lowering because of liberals and that will cause climate change to reverse itself - no one knowing how the fuck to react to that argument, so chaos ensues.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Well yeah, this is anthropology 101 stuff. When kids stop dying parents stop having so many. Is this supposed to support your contention that sperm counts dropped as a result of natural evolutionary processes across the globe in two generations? Or are you actually saying that causal relationship is not because of parental choice but rather because as child mortality drops everyone's testes start exploding?
You're pretty well stuck on the two generations time limit on the concept.

I am viewing it as a long-term change that is more significantly manifesting within the recent generations.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You're pretty well stuck on the two generations time limit on the concept.

I am viewing it as a long-term change that is more significantly manifesting within the recent generations.
Why? Do you have data suggesting it started more than about two generations ago?

zappatton2

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, just got my power back from what is being billed as an "unprecedented winter event" here in Ottawa. Lived here since the 90's, Ottawa weather has always been terrible in the winter, but I've never heard the wind sound like it was gonna rip my roof off. That's a new one for me.

Plus, apparently this isn't even the worst of it, so I'm doing all my bracing and layering up!

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This morning the temp here in Houston (I’m north of the actual city) was 12F/-11C, which is definitely colder than we typically see during the winter. And this is less than two years after the winter storm in February 2021 that shut the entire state’s power grid down for a week, so something is definitely going on.

Demiurge

Intrepid Jackass
Reaction score
Today, we've had a couple inches of rain, winds violent enough to decapitate both light-up reindeer on my lawn, a couple gorgeous sun-showers, hail, and a ~40deg swing in temp. But this is New England.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Here in the Hudson Valley region of NY: This morning, 55 degrees. Now, at 9:20 pm EST, 10. And suppose to go lower.

In 4 days, I will experience 5 seasons.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's been a cold snap here, but, well, it's Alaska. :lol: Warmed up to a balmy -4°F today.

I will say it's been a solid decade since I've felt a truly cold winter. We had one a few years ago that was apparently record cold on average, but it didn't feel it to me. What I remember is week-long stretches of -50°F, and it's been almost exactly ten years since anything remotely close to that.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Here in the Hudson Valley region of NY: This morning, 55 degrees. Now, at 9:20 pm EST, 10. And suppose to go lower.

In 4 days, I will experience 5 seasons.
I left Boston for VT while the weather front moved through so there's a bit of extra noise here, but when I left Boston it was 54 and raining, it started snowing 10 minutes from my parents' place, and the temperature fell below freezing right as I pulled in their driveway.

I packed my gravel bike, and gritted my teeth and went out for a spin the morning of Christmas Eve. It was 9 degrees. My rear derailleur (a Ultegra mechanical, for anyone into this stuff - very good gear) was struggling to shift in the cold, I could shift into lower gears easily enough, but downshifting into harder ones went from a little sticky to extremely sluggish within the first couple minutes. Don't know if there was still some moisture in the bike/cable that froze, or if it was just the cold itself. I was out for about an hour (and learned I REALLY need better cold weather shoe covers), and two miles from home my Garmin shut down because the battery couldn't physically deliver current in those conditions. :lol: It was fucking rough. Magical, too, though.

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Buffalo got trounced, they always get lots of lake effect snow, but they got a little extra this time. We had 62 MPH gusts here on Cape Cod Friday night, surprisingly didn't lose power. No snow though!

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
My house might have been the only one in Vermont that didn't lose power at all over the holiday weekend. I guess that's the best Christmas gift we could have asked for.

I'd never considered taking my bike out in this sort of weather. Usually, when I dust 'er off in March, I can't shift gears, and everything is kind of "creaky" until the temperature gets above 40°F. Mad props to anyone who rides in 9°F weather. I saw a guy this morning riding on the shoulder in the snow with tons of hidden tree branches the storm knocked down. If I still had my bike rack I would have offered him a ride in case he was just commuting...

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
My son's mother and her family are all in the Buffalo area. They were all safe and it sounds like they didn't lose power, but it sounds like it's one of the worst snow storms they ever had and a complete fucking mess, and apparently even a driving ban for 24ish hours.

zappatton2

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I lost power on Friday from 5am to 12pm, so I got off lightly. Some places in Ontario and Quebec are still waiting to get reconnected.

Carrion Rocket

Taiwan is a Country
Reaction score
That freeze we had back in February 2021 took out the power for almost a full day and I had three pipes bust.

Didn't lose power and only had one pipe bust this year. I'll call that a win. Knowing my luck, if I didn't get gas for the generator the power probably would've gone out.

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
We've had pretty mild weather here in South Florida (high 40s), so we can't complain.
But reading some of the reports from Buffalo, it's pretty terrifying. I pray you fellas up North are managing to stay warm and safe.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
We got just the edges of the storm here in Ohio and I'm miserable, I can't imagine what you guys are feeling.

I've got some truckers going through NY state and there are literally 20 foot high snow banks on either side of the highway, its insane! Stay safe, homies.

EDIT: Found a picture they sent us:

1672239451593.jpeg

EDIT 2: Double checking this photo, I have no reason to believe they are pulling anything, but whats going on with the weirdness in this photo above? I'm just now really looking at it and it looks photoshopped?

EDIT 3: Hahahahaha :lol: I never looked at it more than a glance, someone played photoshop on our boss....

Last edited: