Clear sounding string gauge??

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Acaciastrain360, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Acaciastrain360

Acaciastrain360 SS.org Regular

I have a 28.625” scale 8 string tuned to drop F... what would be a good string gauge to keep the sound clearer? Currrently has standard gauge and it sounds junk! Well over due a replacement

2. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

If you're 1 fret away from being at the same pitch as a bass, you probably want simar gauge strings.

3. Soya

Soya Poor person

Not quite how that works, given the massive difference in scale length and string tension.

4. Acaciastrain360

Yeah a standard bass is about 34” scale I think?

cGoEcYk likes this.
  5. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

It's the tension that's going to affect the clarity of the string. I also have no idea what the "standard" guage is for such tuning/scale.

Thicker strings are going to change the tonality of the guitar, so while you'll get improved playability (I'm guessing the current ones feel like rubber bands) it's also going to darken things up.

The trick is going to be finding strings that feel "right" but also allow the tuning you're using.

Things I should remember and didn't :lol:. But my point still stands - if it takes a 105 or more to handle downtuning a 4 string marginally, I'd guess you're looking at a 90 or so for a guitar a few inches shorter.

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

You're forgetting the difference in tonality of guitar (overtones/transients) vs. bass (fundamental), not to mention physical differences like string construction (core size vs. wraps). The elasticity of the strings at the different scale will skew that as well.

Technique and amplification will make a bigger difference in the quality of tone when tuning this low than anything else.

Ideally, you'd use the thinnest string you can, if you want it to still sound like a guitar.

The extended scale, after a certain point will actually start working against you, as they greater string length will bring more stretch which negates perceived tension gains from bigger strings.

StevenC, Kyle Jordan and budda like this.
  7. Acaciastrain360

Well I’ve just read a post from Devin Shidaker and he states he’s just gone to D’Addario NYXL (didn’t state the gauge unfortunately) and he has RG2228A (27”scale??) and he said it’s brighter for longer in drop F.... so... standard 28.625” agile strings are .009 - .074 with a standard tuning of F#... so tuning to Drop F (half a step up?) would surely be healthy with a .074 gauge string?? Or shall I go a little heavier to the NYXL .010 - .074 OR even heavier to NYXL .009 - .080!!???!!??
    I wish Devin could just tell me EXACTLY what he uses ffs
    Anyway, I’m sure someone on here can help :D

8. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Thinner strings are going to sound clearer, but require more thought while playing to not fret/pick sharp all the time. Heavier strings will give you a stronger fundamental on the open string and you'll be able to play a little more aggressively, but they start to become dead and useless above the 12th fret (although with 8 strings, just move up a string, lol). At that scale length I'd say a 70-74 for your F would be good for my preferences, but you could probably get away with anything over 66 as long as you pay attention to your technique. The Labella string set Agiles ship with isn't great, and their strings are super hit or miss as far as quality goes in my experience.

Acaciastrain360 likes this.
  9. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

I use similarly low tuning on a 27" scale and use something like .72 for F# and .65 for B. I have thought of going lighter on my next string change.

10. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I’m a huge Acacia Strain fan too! I talked to Devin briefly at a show with Oceano and Knocked loose one or two years ago and yeah he said the same thing. 27” scale 8 string and i think a .074 for the low. I was surprised

11. Acaciastrain360

Rad! I thought it would’ve been that size, only because the NYXL sets are limited... so it was either 74 or 80

12. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

74 for the low string should be plentyful.

13. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I use an 80 for the low F on my 27" scale guitar comfortably, so I'd assume a 74 would still be comfortable and sound as good or better with the 28.625"

14. Acaciastrain360

Thanks for your help men :D I’ve ordered the 10-74 NYXL set! So I’ll see how they feel during the week x

15. Djentlover666

Djentlover666 Forever tone questing

Any where from .072 to .080 is good for F. .074 is most common.

16. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I would personally go straight to a .090
    just my two cents

17. rockskate4x

rockskate4x rockskate4x

Thicker strings = Better tension, stronger fundamental pitch, but muddy unharmonious overtones. Thinner strings = Clearer, more harmonious overtones, but floppier fundamental and requires a gentler right hand. You have to compromise in one direction or the other, so pick what works best for you. FWIW Fredrik Thordendal (Meshuggah) used to use a .070 for F at 29.4", and now uses a .072 for F at 27". Take it from a guy who loves the feel of a .056 in D standard (20 lbs of tension): the lower you tune, the lighter the tension has to be to maintain the same upper harmonic clarity. In tunings below B I try to get used to low tension and a light picking hand for better tone.

18. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I disagree with thicker = muddier.
    With brand new strings on there’s plenty of harmonic content there.
    Ever played a bass with brand spankin new strings?
    I do find that i have to change strings more often to keep it that way though (sort of like a bass)

19. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I think folks tend to confuse fundamental and mud. They're related, at least they can be, but aren't the same.

Acaciastrain360 and Beheroth like this.
  20. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

I use a 105 bass string on my low F, and its tight enough I can play power chords. It almost sounds like a pitched down guitar because of the response and clarity.