Clean Channels?

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
As musicians we speak lightly of a great clean channel, or really pure cleans. But for many it is hard to find or impossible to know what to look for when factoring in budgets along with solid state or tubes.

What is the best clean sound you have ever heard? What gear was involved? I'll go first:

A Carvin Blue Voodoo
Fender Metalhead 500
Bogner Uberschall Rev 2

All straight in, no effects.

FYI: The same person that designed the Fender metalhead is also the same person that designed the 5150 III.

What about you?

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mesa Mark V. Built in reverb is great, and the Fat clean mode is divine.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
That I've played? Mark IV. Probably just edges out what my Ultra can do.

That I've heard? Pretty tough there and I'm not up on what every band I've seen has.

But let's go with Mark IV.

Choop

n______n
Reaction score
From amps that I've owned, the Mesa Mark III and Traynor YCV40 had the best clean tones for sure. I had a Laney VC50 that was pretty good, but it always felt a little too brittle for me on its own.

wakjob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just about any Fender, preferably and old one with 6L6 or 6v6's, or Mesa Mark series.

EL84 amps like the legendary Vox AC30 have a very nice clean sound all their own.

Jlang

I am Megatron
Reaction score
Engl Invader ... Seriously lol. Amazing cleans, also the mesa road king.

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
Laney VH100RN no doubt if we talk about high gain amps.
Otherwise, Fender Blackface 64 Deluxe reverb Combo, tears of heaven.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
My old Mark V had the best cleans. Period. That was probably the only amp that I've felt didn't need any compression or tricks to sound great. The built in reverb certainly didn't hurt either :cool:

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Most versatile clean amp I ever played was the Genz-Benz Black Pearl 30. Reverb was outstanding, all the voices were distinct and usable, the boost added some nice grit without getting too dirty. Did everything from blues to pop to jazz to shoegaze. Took pedals beautifully and did everything I ever asked of it. Not the purest clean tone at full volume, but it did get pretty damn loud before it started to break up. Really touch sensitive and expressive.

Cleanest clean tone at any volume belonged to the JSX. Glassy. Even when you dug right into the strings and the volume was well past the pain threshold, you'd be hard pressed to get any grind out of it. It's definitely more usable than the 5150 clean, but it wasn't a particularly inspiring tone. Just really clean. Kind of like a Roland JC-120. Damned if you could break it up, but it didn't really make you feel connected to the amp.

Nicest clean attached to a dirty amp belonged to the Single Rec. In all reality, Mesa makes a freaking fabulous Fender Bassman. It was very touch sensitive and could get bluesy and nasty just as easily as it could deliver some very crisp chicken-pickin' or you could dial back the treble, plug in a 335, and vamp away on some extended voiced chords to your heart's content.

Honourable mention to the Kemper, which delivered any kind of clean tone I ever wanted to goof around with and allowed me to switch between cleans, which real amps never really allow for.

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
Egnater Renegade's clean channel is also exceptionally great. With the presence knob it's very musically inspiring and sounds great :)

Aescyr

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really like the clean channel on my Marshall DSL50. It's not the cleanest sound ever, but combined with that spring reverb and whoa.

The best clean tone I ever heard was a Telecaster into a Bogner Shiva. The sound waves were shimmering. :lol:

Splenetic

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
c.....lean?

Isn't that the stuff the Fender guys always go on and on about?

:wavey:

protest

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really liked the cleans on the little Egnater Tweaker.

As far as high gain heads go the PRS Archon has a really nice clean, and of course Mesa. The Mark V, Roadster/King, and newer Dual Recs all have really nice cleans. If I had to pick one from the Mesa's though, it would be the Mark V.

MrPowers

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
1. Old Marshall DSL100. Huge and wide with sparkly highs. I would've kept the amp just for this if I'd had my way.

2. Engl Victor Smolski. Cleans aren't as huge sounding as the Marshall and feel slightly more stiff, but they sure do sound good and sparkly. They work great with some delay and reverb. Perfect for a high gain amp.

The not so good were: Mesa Triple Rec 3 channel and Peavey 6505 standard.