Claas Guitars Thread

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by DudeManBrother, Mar 15, 2019.

1. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

7056CE93-A4BC-4D93-8374-7AEF9D910110.jpeg
    331F9FA2-F714-4D8C-BB23-A60A5E3B4442.jpeg
    36C84385-8B3B-4AB0-AF73-91FCE6734CB3.jpeg
    837C2C91-AAD6-46B7-BCDF-D0256809C3B3.jpeg
    42746F0C-0515-47D8-AEA3-D35C31BC7A97.jpeg

With the new “production line” out, Claas is trying to compete with .Strandberg* it would seem. The prices are comparable. The production line is made in the Claas custom shop just like all the other customs; but you don’t get to pick custom specs. You choose from 6,7,8 string; and Walnut, Ash, or Mahogany body. The neck is maple, the fretboard is ebony, and the frets are med-jumbo stainless steel. Lace Alumitones for pickups. No tone control, and a simple push-push volume control for pickup selection.

Who’s tried one? Who owns one? Who wants one?

Randy likes this.
  2. DudeManBrother

I know @Pietjepieter says he’s got one so maybe he’ll chime in on build quality and playability.

I’m waiting on a walnut 7 to ship still. Should be in here in a couple weeks.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang™

stay away, stay far away. I've yet to hear anything good about claas' guitars other than that he made a video a while ago where he offered to repair customs he'd botched for free. All the firsthand accounts I've heard/read have been damning. Also, go take a look at the guitar he built for javier reyes, dude still can't route a pickup cavity to save his life after years of building.
    Not having the pickups parallel to each other triggers me so much

technomancer, ikarus, Nlelith and 4 others like this.
  4. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Hmm a claas but built cheaper and quicker.

Hmmmmmm

Hmmm

Hard pass?

5. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

Cutting Claas.

6. Pietjepieter

Pietjepieter SS.org Regular

Ok, yes I have one production model. The PL7 HDL WAL, or something, the walnut one.

Anyway, I really want to do a NGD, but needs to make time for it...

So here my 2 cents, in therms of build quality, it's not 100% flawless. The cutout for the cover of the electronics has a little flow(need picture i know, only camera is somewhere but not here). As well as some other VERY MINOR little little things.

Now the good part is: fretwork is the best i have on a guitar. It's better than my ibanez prestige, USA jackson and overload.
    Neck finish and profile is also very nice, the neck is the best I ever played. Also upper fret access(duh).
    Electronics works perfect, only wish it had a coil split. I was affraid for the pickupswitching with the push push volume button. But it works great once your used to it. Tuners are as always on headless a little stiff, but better than on my overload (T4M). Have no problem tuning. Tuning stability is great as well.

I did not have any experience with the lace pickups but they are great! Thing sounds huge!!

Only I really needed to get used to the small space between the pickups. I wish the neck pickup was a little more towards the neck. Used to it now but it took some time.

I really liked the design ever since it came out back in the days. I did think about ordering a custom, but then I heard all the horror stories and stayed away from it. Last year I noticed the production model at Thomann. I figured out they had a pretty good return policy so if the quality sucks i could just return it, so then it was a no brainer for me.

Love it!!

7. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I love the design except for the non-parallel pickups.

I can't say I want one though based on the quality of craftsmanship made apparent by several threads and even pictures from Claas themselves.

8. DudeManBrother

I love the design, and contemplated getting a custom a couple years ago, but held off because of the quality issues. These production lines are exactly what I wanted back then but not $3500 like the customs, so I wanted to give it a shot. I can return it if it sucks; and just give up hope on a $2k-ish headless 7. I’ve had 2 strandberg 7’s that were less than stellar so I figured I’d try this out. If it goes back then I’ll be ordering a Saturn 7 from Padalka next year for sure. Well, I might anyways :lol:

9. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Man they do look fucking gnarly tho. So many unique build features but sucks that all the review are still so so bad.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  10. DudeManBrother

Yeah I’m hoping he got it figured out by now. He’s using CNC now, which he didn’t have in the past. That *should alleviate quite a few sloppy hand built mistakes, as long as the program is good.

Either way, I’ll report back whenever mine shows up. If it sucks I won’t be asking for a replacement, just a refund.

Mathemagician likes this.
  11. oneblackened

oneblackened Tube Amp Dork

If it's anything like the NAMM ones... it didn't, not really.

12. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Eh, CNC can cause just as many issues as it solves.

I hope these turn out well. Please keep us posted.

Solodini, AxeHappy and DudeManBrother like this.
  13. Crundles

Crundles SS.org Regular

But... they look so good, tho :(

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang™

people said the same thing about some of those etherials lol

AxeHappy, Crundles, narad and 2 others like this.
  15. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

:barf:

Thaeon and Ordacleaphobia like this.
  16. DudeManBrother

I love that USPS stuck this in my front porch who knows when and never updated the shipping info. I thought it was still in California. I noticed the package this morning while looking out my bay window having a cup of coffee. Oh well...
    6DFD6F81-FF32-4F2E-9530-F3EE82420E47.jpeg
    Pickup routes are great. Bridge and tuner routes are nice and clean. Neck into pocket good. There are a few mm spots where the hand sanded corners don’t line up exactly with the pocket, but it’s quite negligible.
    FA4DC141-B64B-4D46-8FE1-BA250541E6D0.jpeg 283E5436-E288-4BD6-A223-BC5BE8902B3D.jpeg
    The thickness of this stainless cavity cover is insane haha. Maybe it’s to bring a little weight back into the lower part of the body? Either way the guitar is strandberg light so it’s all good, whatever the reason.
    E61F1182-1D38-4C10-BD48-E100CCDCAFE5.jpeg
    The cavity is simple and well shielded. I will most likely be drilling for a 3 way toggle switch for pickup selecting, and using the push push for splitting the Lace pickups. There’s a little gunk in the upper portion of the cavity that needs cleaning.

17. DudeManBrother

4B8B5A20-984C-437A-8B81-B8A8968AFA07.jpeg

I haven’t played it a ton yet, but fret work seems excellent. Nice semi-hemispheric ball ends with hidden tangs. I think it’s a 16”-20” compound radius as well.
    9891EDEF-560F-4E02-A3AE-0E0256445342.jpeg
    A7B2A933-1433-47B3-B5D4-D7E0F20235EA.jpeg
    I’m guessing they dye the ebony to be uniformly black. The tape job wasn’t that great. There is a little bleed in a couple spots.
    6A7ADD88-F6F7-4294-9407-05CD0D89A93C.jpeg
    It looks like the neck pocket was routed a mm too low, so they glued in a walnut shim. I’m not sure if this is because their CNC program is off; or if it’s to reinforce the two piece body. Either way, it looks solid and is hardly noticeable.

18. DudeManBrother

The guitar is so compact it will take some getting used to. My typical wrist/picking hand position places me around the 22nd fret on this guitar, so to actually place my hand correctly at the bridge means there’s no body left for my forearm to rest on. It’ll take a little getting used to; but it’s surprisingly comfortable once I adjust. All the fret locations seem to be in a different spot than I expect them as well. The tall narrow fret wire is outstanding. I love having extra room between the upper register frets.

Solodini likes this.
  19. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Oh you actually bought one.