Claas Guitars Leviathan 7 Custom Build

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by RBadel, Feb 11, 2020.

1. RBadel

RBadel SS.org Regular

Hey Guys,
    I wanted to share with you the build of my custom 7 string build from Claas Guitars.

Within the next few months I will post pictures and clips of the progress.

I know Alexander know for almost ten years and this is the second guitar he is building for me.
    8 years ago I designed the Leviathan shape and back then he built the first 8 string Leviathan.

I deeply believe in his work and the vision this guy had in mind.
    Thats one the reasons I began working for him last year not only because we know each other for such a long time more than because I really stand behind the whole Claas Guitars brand.

Specs on this guitar will be:

-Leviathan body shape /w Headstock
    -7 String
    -27ā€œ-25ā€œ Scale length
    -5 Piece wenge neck with mahogany stripes
    -Ebony fretboard with offset stripe inlays
    -Ash body with poplar burl top
    -Black hardware /w gold accents
    -Bareknuckle Ragnarok Pickups

As for the finish I am not quite sure yet. Iā€™m thinking about going with some really dark purple or with the Universe finish. Maybe you guys want to help me with this decision ? :D

If you have any questions about Claas Guitars or this guitar in particular, just shoot me a message :)

7 string Leviathan.png

2. RBadel

RBadel SS.org Regular

DFB984B7-CED1-45C3-8075-8C06C68A7D42.jpg [​IMG] First Update coming right up: This is the first step of the Wenge/Mahagony neck :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  3. Pietjepieter

Pietjepieter SS.org Regular

Cool looking forward to the progress of the build!

Since you seems to be working at claas guitars I thought I trow some questions and suggestions at you regarding the Claas design:)

I have a claas moby dick headless 7 string production model and I'am quite happie with it.

However I have some things that are not so good in the design I think:

Neck pickup: Why is it so far from the neck? I think it would be really a lot better if the neck pickup is moved a little bit more towards the neck, there is space still in the body, I think it will improve playability

Zero fret: since there is no nut, only a zero fret, and on the high strings there is quite some space between the zero fret and the lock. The string will move over the zero fret. Some people are afraid the zero fret will get small djents in time witch can result in tuning instability when applying bends. I don't have those issues jet but the argument seems legit. So adding a nut to the design is i think a good idea.

Scale: I think for the production model a scale length of 27 to 25.5" is maybe a bit more accessible. It is a personal think I know....

I must say I love my Claas, I really like the design, the way it sounds and plays. I thought I give you some feedback on what I personally would change on the guitar design:)

Looking forward to see this one progress, gonne be a killer guitar i hope!

RBadel likes this.
  4. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

I love the Claas guitar designs, some of the best designed guitars i have ever seen. Best bollt-on neck joint design i have ever seen in any guitar, with truly unobstructed access. (But i do not own one).

I consider the neck pickup position a good and progressive feature. Most guitars have the neck pickup very close to the fretboard for reasons of tradition (which then also messes up the neck joint and ergonomics by pushing the joint up under the higher frets). I find a pickup that far forward has an unpleasant tone, too boomy and 'tubby', and too focussed on the lowest harmonics. Further back seems less extreme and more usable.
    Many guitarists will disagree, but i consider this a bad tradition that guitars should move on from, but very few do.
    Bass guitars have the neck pickup much further back, for the same good reasons.

RBadel likes this.
  5. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

Make sure he gets the routings right.

lewis likes this.
  6. RBadel

RBadel SS.org Regular

Hey mate,

really love to hear that you own a Production Line 7 string, thanks for that!
    Regarding your questions its fairly easy to answer i think:

Neck-Pickup: playing the neck pickup further back happend exaclty because of the reason ixlramp mentioned. Alex (and i see it the same way) found that often the neck pickups are to boomy and depending on the amp and general sound you use the neck pickup just looses a lot of clarity. i discovered the exact same issue a lot of times especially in rehearsals and live situations. ixlramp has mentioned it pretty accurately imo ;)

Zero-fret: I heard these concerns a few times. But since we only use stainless steel frets there should not be any problems at all because this material is indestructable xD believe me.. i have done fretwork with these stainless steel frets :DD but ist totally worth it!

Scale: Yeah thats really depends on personal taste. I own a Jp70 and that guitar has just a 25,5" Scale at all and i must admit that i kind like it :D

But thank you very much for your feedback good sir! Always appreciate such kind of feedback.

7. RBadel

RBadel SS.org Regular

This is the exact reason why we did this! Thanks man! Basically everthing on this guitars has its thoughtprocess behind it.
    Also thank you for your kind words, appreciate it :)

Hopefully we could provide you with a Claas one day :)

8. RBadel

RBadel SS.org Regular

As Promised here are some updates:

Alex had the great idea not only to match the front of the guitar but the back,too.
    Since i wanted to have the back in a natural ash finish we decided to go you an ash headstock, too. So there is a repeating pattern with an ash headstock, wenge neck and ash body.

43C7F886-937C-4039-9397-FFBFEB2BB74B.JPEG

9. RBadel

RBadel SS.org Regular

and also i found a really nice looking ebony fretboard! 8AAFAECD-BD73-446B-9F54-49C12153BACD.JPEG

10. Pietjepieter

Pietjepieter SS.org Regular

Any progress?

curious to see how it will come together!