"Chugging" on two strings?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by aprilia4life, Feb 9, 2017.

1. aprilia4life

aprilia4life SS.org Regular

I have seen some tabs where I would expect the fast chugging/triplets/galloping to only pick the low string, but on dropped tuning the tab sometimes shows that the low and second lowest string is picked. For example, The Saw Is The Law by Whitechapel.

Is it usual to pick more than one string when chugging out the 0's? I am struggling to fast pick more than one string at a time, and thought maybe it is that way in the tab to make it sound better on the tab, and not necessarily correct.

2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Honestly dude, I think if you're just playing a note and not a chord it isn't even considered "chugging"

And both things are super common. Lamb of God chugs open chords like no one's business, then again Metallica does just the note.

3. robski92

robski92 SS.org Regular

I usually do the lowest two strings for a bit of a thicker sound when doing chugs and stuff like that. If I want a tighter sound I'll do just the lowest string.

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

When dropped tuned, hitting the lowest two open strings is the same as the lowest note and the second fret in standard tuning. Makes a power chord with zero expended effort on your part as the player.

5. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

Basically that.

Though I always remember people round here bashing the open low B chug when I first joined so assumed chugging was a single note thing. I mean isn't that what djent was founded on?

Hell some bands even bash the open 4th, kataklysm do that in Ambassador of Pain.

6. robski92

robski92 SS.org Regular

Djent is that sound you get when palm muting further away from the bridge. That metallic abrasive sort of palm mute.

7. karjim

karjim Set the World Afire

:shred:Gojira Backbone

8. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I think the double string chugging is more of a "bad technique" chugging. Like trying to chug on one string but your hand hits the next string most of the time... or jsut not doing proper muting with your left hand.

HAving a drop tuning you can get away with it as you are doing a power chord. But between you and the bass it should be more than enough. Adding the extra notefor a powerchord chug would result in a bigger fuller chug, something you can experiment on to have both chugs plus the different palm mutes to trow into it to have different levels of chug for you to trow in a song

chug

9. odibrom

odibrom .

wtf?

"bad technique"? How about I WANT TO CHUG 2 or more strings at a time? How about I want complex harmonies in my chugging, like the Devil's Chord, which is pretty common in any metal genre...? What if I chug in 3rds, changing from major to minor according to the scale used?

To OP, chug as you will, only you know what you want from your sound. This exists within the ART REALM, there are no rules but yours.

10. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

well you are more happy to do so :) like you say theres nothing wrong. I was reffering to maybe what the OP heard was not being played "clean".... or maybe you could see it too as a "technique" to chug the two strings as a "aim for the top string but dont mute the second one?

either way maybe I choose the wrong words for it.

chug

11. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

:shrug: I always thought "chugging" referred to palm muted Root+5th or Root+5th+Octave power chords in 8th note triplets or 16th notes, typically heavy on the same power chord, like E5 dadaduh dadaduh dadadun G5 dadaduh repeat, for example...

I guess it's not really a proper technical musical term, though, so it doesn't really matter, as long as you get your point across in some way.

12. odibrom

odibrom .

My thoughts exactly.

Cool friend, sorry for a harsh reply.

... so CHUG is a HUG in the key of "C"?

13. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

It takes time, but you'll get there. As with everything, you have to start slow and work up to speed. My old band had a pretty challenging part to play which was rhythmically quite simple and doable, but because it was on two strings it was that much harder to be metronomically perfect.

It's rather common and is seen in many styles of metal, yes.

14. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

Depends on the song, the riff and how you want it played. Sometimes you'll want to palm mute the lowest string alone, sometimes the 2 bottom strings.

15. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

If you chug a single note, it's a single note. If you're chugging more than one string, you're probably muting a chord or at least an interval.

Wow, what a big chugging deal :shrug:

16. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Wow all this terminology what the hell guys :lol: Yes it's a very common thing and is pretty difficult to do at speed. I find getting the direction change to come really strongly from the fingers so you can turnaround and up-pick aggressively helps a lot.

17. Chi

Chi Niverlare

And I thought this thread was about some dude gulping down a pint of beer while slacklining.

18. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

You're correct. This IS the proper musical term.

With that said, in a modern metal context, I've always chugged on the bottom two strings: root+5th while in a drop-tuning (or sometimes I'll change it up to the root+tritone). I've also chugged on the bottom three strings depending on if I'm going for more of a fully-voiced triad. I've pretty much never chugged on just the single lowest string alone. It doesn't sound beefy enough to me.