Chrome Emgs?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by TheManInBlack, Mar 14, 2007.

1. TheManInBlack

TheManInBlack Well-Known Member

are the emg active humbuckers by desgin only offered in black or white plastic covers? i think it would be sweet to have an active emg with the look of a gibson bucker.......

is there a pickup with a chrome cover that performs like an active emg? i have an esp guitar with emgs and u get spoiled to the high output of them. it makes it touch to go to a non active pick uped guitar.

2. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

EMG actually had a "25th Anniversary EMG 81" set not long ago with Chrome covers... looked pretty cool and sounded just like a normal EMG 81.

Btw, this should be in the Pickups section on the forum sir! :yesway:

3. metalfiend666

metalfiend666 - Forum MVP

EMG did a limited batch of chromed 81's to celebrate their 25th anniversary, but good luck finding any.

Otherwise, Dimarzio's D-Activators are supposed to be a hybrid of EMG and passive tone. I don't know if they have an option for a chrome cover, but I know you can buy those separately. I think Seymore Duncan's Livewires have a chrome cover option on them.

4. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

...and so it is. ;)

5. TheManInBlack

ive been thinkin of upgrading the pickups on the c1 elite i picked up from shawn on here. they sound decent for a stock pickup. after playing my esp with emgs my ears are used to those. im sure i wont find any of those chrome emgs..may havta jump to a passive alternative. i may just put some classic 57s in it to give it a more gibson sound.

i found this on the EMG webiste FAQ

"Can I get an EMG-81 with a chrome cover?
    No. We only used Chrome covers on our 25th Anniversary Sets. There are no plans at this time to use Chrome or Gold covers on EMG pickups. "

6. kindred_spirits

kindred_spirits SS.org Regular

It is possible to put an EMG under a chrome cover, it just takes a little work. Monty-Jay (I believe he is 4nkam or on these forums) put an 81/85 set under gold pickup covers. He just shaved the outer plastic covering with a dremel, and dropped them in. He posted a picstory about it, but I can't find it right now. Its irreversible obviously.

7. TheManInBlack

i think emg would sell alot with chrome/gold covers...not everyone likes plastic look. some guitars look tons better with the covers...others not so much...

8. kindred_spirits

kindred_spirits SS.org Regular

9. metalfiend666

metalfiend666 - Forum MVP

Pretty cool

10. TheManInBlack

looks like a cool custom mod to do to a guitar. the only thing about changin to active u havta change the pots along with the pickups...i may just get some high output passive pickups that come with chrome covers.

11. ibzrg1570

ibzrg1570 SS.org Regular

Just get passives with chrome covers because its easier to obtain, either Dimarzio D-Activators or Bareknuckles (you might have to get the covers yourself, they don't offer chrome covers for all their models).

12. darren

darren Forum MVP

Wasn't somebody looking into having Kent Armstrong make EMG-style pickup covers for passive pickups? Could those be made in chrome?

13. Stitch

Stitch Banned

Useless fact: EMG also made Red 81's for a ver brief period. OEM, i think, for ESP Japan. :)

14. darren

darren Forum MVP

EMGs can also be painted very easily... maybe get some chrome Krylon from Home Depot and spray 'em up.

15. jtm45

jtm45 Well-Known Member

I would think the chromed metal cover thing someone said about would affect the sound of an EMG quite badly.
    They have a very low magnetic field compared to most passives so i would imagine a regular chrome metal cover would fuck with it.
    There are plastic chrome sprays (the stuff they use on ski + snowboard helmets and stuff)out there.

16. 4nkam

4nkam SS.org Regular

The covers really don't change the tone at all but you SHOULD wax pot them to prevent unwanted noise.

17. darren

darren Forum MVP

Are you speaking from experience? Because on passive pickups, metal covers do make a slight difference to the tone and output of the pickup, and EMGs would not need to be wax potted, since the whole pickup is encased in epoxy resin.

18. 4nkam

4nkam SS.org Regular

Yup, if you check a few posts above, I'm the one that already did it to EMGs before. You need to remove all the black portion of the EMGs (Watch out for the ears) and then fit your covers over them. If you simply put the new covers on, it will squeel at high volume levels. Wax em and they're fine :)