Chris Cornell dead at 52

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Bloody_Inferno, May 18, 2017.

1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, easily in my top few favorite singers. I tried to learn Like A Stone to sing, but it never sounded good. There was just something about his voice that was magical.

2. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

for sure. the opening vocal line of Jesus Christ pose still makes the hairs on my neck stand up after 25 years

3. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

This one hurts. Of all the Seattle bands, Soundgarden was the one that really grabbed ahold of me. Chris' vocals and lyrics were so good, and they were one of the few bands I was able to fully escape into when things got bad during high school.

As someone who has suffered from severe depression, it's crushing to hear that someone whose words have meant so much to me couldn't fight off the demons any more. That's two of my favorite singers to have died in a very short timeframe (Matt Holt from Notiingface died very recently as well, by way of an incurable degenerative disease). This sucks.

4. b7string

b7string SS.org Regular

Was gutted to wake up to this today. His music will live on forever.

5. chipchappy

chipchappy thudmaster

RIP Chris. Your music will last foreever

6. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

So sad... my favourite teenage singer... almost 40 years fighting depression.

7. NickS

NickS Rocket Surgeon

I read this morning that he talked to his wife after the show on the phone, and I guess he was on an anti-anxiety drug called Ativan. Supposedly he told her he may have taken one or two extra and was slurring his words. That's when she called the friend that kicked in the door and found him.

8. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

I have always respected him as a vocalist. It is a shame that the depression he struggled with finally overcame his will to live. I feel terrible for the family and friends he left behind, because it is a void that won't heal easily. His legacy will live on his music.

Megadeth played a tribute for Chris last night:
    http://loudwire.com/megadeth-perform-outshined-tokyo-tribute-chris-cornell/

9. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

One of those "Fix one problem, add many other problems (including disassociation and suicidal thoughts)" medication. I apologize if that comment offends anyone that may take it or knows somehow that does and it helps, but its truth. And sadly wouldn't shock me if this caused the suicide.

10. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    Chris had been through a lot since around 2000 as Chris'/Soundgardens manager ripped him off for money and personal belongings(iirc she took all the guitars he played in the 80's/90's with Soundgarden) which led to legal battles and he also had a stint in rehab for alcoholism.
    Chris always discussed these things quite plainly so it felt like he had a hold on things now and in light of Soundgarden reuniting plus the vast amount of solo work he was also doing it felt like he'd managed to move forward and hit a creative peak which is why this is such a shock to me.

On a brighter note there's a brilliant article by Ben Weinman of D.E.P. which sums up Chris, Soundgarden and his experience touring with them but also the music of that era with a damn sight more wit and insight than the music journo tribute pieces that are doing the rounds.
    http://clrvynt.com/chris-cornell-rip/

Richard Patrick of Filter has posted something too and it turns out they rehabbed together.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BUPuFjNlF6m/

11. EmaDaCuz

EmaDaCuz Brutal yet soulful

I read on some website, mostly Italian and British, that it was not a suicide, but potentially a drug related death.
    The "tie" around the neck is a common way to pump the veins and inject the dose, exactly like you do it with a band on the arm.
    According to these sources, it would also explain the unusual behaviour Chris had on stage.

I am just reporting, I have no idea whether this makes any sense.

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/chris-cornell-police-report-details-singers-death-w483238

Here, they make it sound like he took too much of his anti-anxiety medicine. Unless they're trying to hide the fact, there's no mention of any drug paraphernalia.

Reading here, it sounds in line with what happened:

I've been wondering if it's because he tried to OD on his anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medicine.

13. EmaDaCuz

Well, we can only speculate and I don't think it is very respectful to do so...
    Having said that, benzodiazepines seem to induce suicidal thoughts in something like 1% of the users, and in general only during the first months of therapy.
    One way or another, it is a very sad way to go :(

14. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

So sad to hear this, the Badmotorfinger album was a big part of the soundtrack of my youth.

I liked how Pete Thorn paid tribute to Chris Cornell instead of all the bs slideshow-soundtrack-videos: https://youtu.be/j7ndyZXlYig

RIP man - now playing your record... :shred:

15. Korbain

Korbain Stay negative!

Very sad indeed. Was a big audioslave fan, and always enjoyed his music in sound garden.

Incredibly talented musician, amazing voice. Left us way too soon :(

16. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Some no nonsense, pure tributes.

17. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

Another cool tribute:

18. EmaDaCuz

What about a piano-bar like tribute gone wrong, courtesy of Dream Theater?

:lol::lol::lol:

19. TheHandOfStone

TheHandOfStone E♭M7(♭5)

No, I take Effexor (SNRI) and this sounds pretty accurate. It helps tremendously with my anxiety, but if I miss a dose I experience dizziness and headaches. :ugh: One time I passed out and had to be briefly hospitalized (though thankfully nothing came of it long-term).

20. Stringee

Stringee SS.org Regular

:yesway: Chris Cornell was a crowd's favorite. It's a nice tribute