Choosing the Right Woods for a Custom 7 Baritone?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Carl Kolchak, Oct 7, 2020.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

Yeah I get that. I was merely commenting on how there was SOME quantitative data showcasing the variability of woods. I wasn't implying it was somehow statistically useful.

2. Themistocles

Themistocles SS.org Regular

The jelly/jam/compote fruit topping industry agrees and is prepared to reward us financially! (being in the pocket of the jelly industry! :O) Seriously though too many maple necked electric guitars... especially when reinforcements are so good these days.

This message brought to you by the good people at smuckers (aka the illuminati)

bostjan likes this.
  3. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

okay so genuine tone wood debate question for some guys to ponder. I have a guitar with a floyd rose , locked at the nut and even after placing my hand on the fretboard to completely mute the strings if i pluck the strings BEHIND the nut they still ring out very loud and clearly. what is happenning here as far as how this sound is traveling to the pickup? alot of people say tonewood is unimportant as only the strings vibrating within the magnetic field of the pickup is what matter and wood is not magnetic , however im struggling to believe the sound is passing both through a tightly locked nut and my muting hand via the strings leading me to think that the sound must be traveling throught the entire guitar and the wood and being picked up by the pickups ? meaning that your pickups do infact pickup the sound that is traveling through the entire guitar and not just the strings themselves?

4. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

I ended up going with a mahogany body and a maple cap. Should have a NGD post about it sometime next week. Yippee.

5. Strtsmthng

Strtsmthng SS.org Regular

Next week??!!! What builder is that?
    Also, what did you pick for neck?

6. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Relatively speaking, it is. Think about it - guitars with humbuckers sound way more similiar to one another compared to guitars with single coils, for example. You have pre-gain and post-gain EQ that can drastically change the sound, the IR (mic placement and choice of mics) has an enormous impact, the cab, the speakers.

How many albums have you listened to? And how many times have you thought "hey, this dude's playing a mahogany guitar with a maple cap"?

Try hitting the body, you'll hear that knock through the amp. Pickups are microphonic to a certain extent, and distortion amplifies this effect massively because that's kinda what distortion is - amplification, it's just that the original signal is massively changed in the process.

7. Carl Kolchak

Perhaps I opted for a pre-built guitar? ;)

And to answer the wooden riddle, it's a mahogany body with a maple cap, and mahogany neck with an ebony fingerboard.

8. Strtsmthng

Strtsmthng SS.org Regular

My bad, that makes a lot more sense then :)

9. AltecGreen

AltecGreen SS.org Regular

You bought a Les Paul? :rolleyes:

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

prob an esp EC7

11. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Sounds like a good ol' Gibson or something, but I could be wrong. How are you finding it? I understood "flubby" to mean "warm" and undefined, and mahogany is allegedly SUPER friggen warm, especially when compared to ash which you said you hated. Glad you found something that appealed to you regardless. New fiddles are always a good time, even if you end up hating them in the long run. lol

12. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

Little surprised that you find swamp ash to have a muddy tone. To me swamp ash is the best wood for 7 string low tuning stuff. It's also the only tone wood that I can tell is noticeably brighter than other tone woods. basswood for me has always been the muddiest sounding. At least on the guitars I had. Alder I liked because it was light and had a more balanced tonal sound on the charvel that I tried through the same amp as my personal guitar. Anyways sorry to ramble. But if you don't want ash I would say go with alder and put a maple cap on it and the maple neck.

Themistocles likes this.
  13. Carl Kolchak

Consulting Magic 8 Ball, and.... you're wrong! :)

SSO Quija board declares, "Wrong answer!"

I will give a hint though, it's grey.