Choosing pickups for new Aristides build (BKP, Lundgren)

ZeroS1gnol

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi, I'm placing an order for an Aristides 070S soon and I need to choose which pickups to put in there. I'm not really fixed on getting a matching set, so open to suggestions. I'm seeking a bright modern metal sound, not too djenty. The pickups have to be versatile though, it needs to be capable of cleans. I prefer the neck pickup to have a fat and percussive sound, also for split coil sound, sometimes a neck pickup just doesn't sound too different from the bridge pickup.

From my initial research what caught my eye were the BKP Juggernauts (as a set). I tried a guitar with Lundgren M7 pickups at the Aristides workshop, which also had an impressive responsive feeling to it. I also tried a guitar there loaded with BKP Polymaths, but I had to crank the gain a lot for it to come to life - so I think that is off the table.

I know, these threads are done to death, so it would really be helpful if actual Aristides owners could chip in and tell their experience, since an Arium guitar just isn't a wooden guitar.

BTS

BTS
Reaction score
If you are after BKPs, the Ragnarok bridge is in my opinion a fantastic bridge pickup for metal and rock and doesnt have the weird congested low mids of the Juggernaut (which some people hear) - it isnt super dark or bright imo. Cleans are useable, but not its forte.

On the neck front, the ragnarok neck is also decent and has surprisingly useable cleans and splits. The other neck pickup which is pretty versatile is the aftermath neck, which I dont have experience with on splits, but the clean is again surprisingly good and it delivers a really good round fat/ubular sound.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bridge pick up wise, Ragnarok can be good, the Silo is another option. A lot of folks over look them in 7 strings but they actually sound good and are alnico magnets vs ceramix in the Ragnarok's if you prefer that. Neck pick up wise I was going to say Polymath 100% as the neck pup has a very fat tone and sounds great split or in parallel, but you've stated that they are a bit too low output for your liking. So I'd say the Juggernaut neck pick up would be a solid bet as it just does everything well and is a good fit with the Rag in the bridge. Another option that might work is a Coldsweat in the neck. John Browne of monuments uses one in the neck of his signature mayones and tonally he's one of my go to guys for 7 string stuff.

Flappydoodle

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm seeking a bright modern metal sound, not too djenty. The pickups have to be versatile though, it needs to be capable of cleans
Aristides owner here.

For the bridge pickup, Black Heaven?

M7 for me is a bit too djenty. It's the Meshuggah pickup after all

Black Heaven is available in ceramic and alnico versions. Both have a nice "grind" sound. Alnico is a bit fatter and more versatile. It has an incredible top end, which is bright and articulate but not too scratchy or piercing. Amazing string separation too, so for big dissonant chords you can hear everything properly.

It's kinda "7 out of 10" in hotness. It doesn't slam the front of the amp, but it's not like those djenty modern BKPs where they have very little gain in exchange for the super tight sound.

lewstherin006

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you are going multiscale, I would get fishmans. I know that wasnt on your list but with the slants being different from guitar to guitar, if you ever want to change out pickups it will be a hassle. Polymaths on what I would get if I got BKPs.

ZeroS1gnol

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Man, it's difficult to take in differing advice, but I did make a decision. I'm getting the M7 set. I did check out clips here and there of different sets and as most will agree, it's not just pickups, but the entire signal chain that makes the sound. I am confident I can dial in what I want with the M7 set, also keeping in mind that I tried an Aristides with these in them and liked it a lot. So case closed.

If you are going multiscale, I would get fishmans. I know that wasnt on your list but with the slants being different from guitar to guitar, if you ever want to change out pickups it will be a hassle. Polymaths on what I would get if I got BKPs.
Not a fan of non-slanted pickups in a multiscale guitar. And I bet I can get the people at Aristides to order me a Lundgren or BKP set if I want. The Aristides pickup sets are custom made for them, with a slant that the producers don't have available for other consumers.

Latest posts