Choosing My next 7 String...

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by KingChubby4698, May 21, 2018.

1. KingChubby4698

KingChubby4698 SS.org Regular

Back in October, I bought an 8 string Schecter to try out. I have since decided that 8 is a little much for me and I should just stick to a 7 primarily. So in lieu of selling the 8 string, I am looking for a new 7 string. Currently, I'm torn between the Ibanez RGIM7MH which is one of their RG Iron Label models that has fanned frets, and the Schecter Hellraiser C-7.
    I have been looking around Reverb for 7 strings at or below $700, preferably with EMG, or Seymour Duncan actives. And those 2 were the ones that caught my eye the most, along with an Ernie Ball Music Man that I'm still debating on.
    I already have multiple Schecters and love them, but have no Ibanez guitars and would like to give one a try, as well as a guitar with fanned frets.
    I know that nothing can really compare to going out and playing the guitar for yourself, but I come from a small town with 1 guitar store within 60 miles, and the guy who owns the place would look at you as if you were crazy if you asked if they had any 7 strings in stock.
    I was just wanting some feed back of good 7 strings that are at or below the $700 mark, or how the Music Man, RHIM7MH, and Hellraiser C7 compare to each other.

2. Sollipsist

Sollipsist SS.org Regular

I don't want to complicate your search, but you could also be looking at Jacksons or Agile. I'm pretty much in the same situation as you and I'm zeroing in on the Jackson DKAF7 (well under your price limit), but also checking the Agile multiscale page regularly to see if any decent Intrepids or Pendulums pop up.

And also thinking I should just save up and get the new ESP M-1007 or maybe even an Ormsby...

3. Taikatatti

Taikatatti SS.org Regular

At that price range i would leave ibanez alone and look at brands like solar guitars/chapman or LTD. Possibly agile if you really need multiscale.

4. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

If you're ok with used - RG7620 is a gold standard of 7 string design and can be had for $500-700 easily on Reverb (need to look at condition though).

You might be able to find a used KM-7 in that range as well, and since you already know you like Schecter it won't feel off. Additionally the JL-7.

I tend to stay away from Iron Label, or any Indonesian, Ibanez models. Build quality is dubious.

5. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

I would make time to go and try some out. I have had a couple of 7s with baritone scalelengths and had to sell them simply due to the hand fatigue. I'm much happier with 25.5" scale 7 strings and really the string tension argument just doesn't hold for me.

The C-7 is a nice guitar but the extra length had me getting tired too quick.

6. Agoraphobia

Agoraphobia Who? What? When? Where? Why?

If you're looking for an extended scale, I would recommend checking out Agile. Most Agile guitars are 27" scales stock, and their Pendulum (multiscale) line is available as well. For their price you could easily replace the stock pickups with EMGs or Duncans. Though if you really want an Ibanez, I'd take a look at the RGD line, or as mentioned above, the RG7620. I have no experience with Schecter guitars, but I've heard they're not bad.

7. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

I'd second this and advise you to check into Agile. At that price point, they're pretty bulletproof provided you're in the US.
    The Pendulums are pretty good for a first multiscale option, and the neck to me felt like a middle ground between an Ibanez and a Schecter.

I'd second this, too.
    The 7620/7621s are great, especially if you can find one that isn't grossly marked up. The RG1527 is another solid choice, newer builds with MiJ construction and a solid trem. Those can be had for a similar price to the 762Xs. While I'm not the biggest fan of Ibanez's Indonesian stuff, I wouldn't call it 'dubious' so much as 'hit-or-miss.' The good ones are good, but the bad ones are bad. Up to you if you want to roll the dice.
    If you're set on multiscale though, I would especially urge you to explore Agile. I have not heard good things about the factory Ibanez fans.

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  8. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

What the guys above have said. More bang for your buck used. RG7620 and RG1527 are killer guitars.

9. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

I also really enjoyed the hellraiser 7's because i have pretty big hands so chunkier necks are more comfortable to me. I haven't played them recently, but from what I've read here is that they've slimmed the necks down quite a bit. Out of the two I'd go hellraiser. But if you want a thinner neck I'd go with something other than that ibanez

10. The Silent Man

The Silent Man Savatage,Evergrey, Shadow Gallery,Vanden Plas fan

Same here.
    On a trip to a concert, I stopped by a big retailer and tried as many 7-string guitars as I could.
    The Schecter Hellraiser looks very solid and it's easy to play, with a very "fast" neck. Great guitar.
    It's the same with the Jackson Pro Series Soloist models: amazing neck, increased my playing speed instantly.

11. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

That's crazy. The hellraisers I played when they first released had necks as chunky as my Les Paul. Times have changed I guess