Choosing my first Musicman BFR Luke.. any input?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Vinchester, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Vinchester

Vinchester SS.org Regular

After a stressful year at work, I've decided to treat myself to a "special" guitar. At first I considered Gibson, PRS and Vigier, though I became set on EBMM because their guitars and their approach to design and build feels "right" to me. I have been playing a friend's old JP from 2007 and have nothing but praise for it.

The Luke III (vid below) caught my eyes. Steve's a great player and I like his tone even though it has been mostly rock rather than full-on metal. Then again my two ESPs easily cover that already so I guess I want to expand and explore :rolleyes: I was worried about the low fret profile but I tried a Luke III standard (pic) and it plays very well for leads but a bit difficult for rhythm.

The contestant to this is another EBMM JP15 Saharaburst (not sure if BFR?) This would naturally suits the metal music I play more, but I'm kind of bored with JP tone and don't feel the mojo going as much.

I live in Thailand so the local EBMM premium dealer told me it'd be a 6 month wait due to slow production. I can sort of live with that I guess :wallbash:

So, my question to you is, what is your experience on the Luke BFRs especially later Luke III w/roasted maple necks? Will these handle metal rhythm fine in your opinion?

[​IMG]

2. mniel8195

mniel8195 SS.org Regular

Only complaints i have heard about them are the small frets.

3. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

I had one of the first run Luke IIIs with the rosewood neck. Like you I got it to be something different. At the time I had like 4 JPs and several other "metal" guitars. IMO the Luke is a fantastic mid gain hard rock guitar. Can it do metal? To an extent sure. Standard tuning no problem. Anything more extreme not so much. Yet if you want it for that get another "metal" guitar. The Luke III is one of the guitars I wish I had kept. It was really good. The Luke really is the Steve Lukather of guitars. It is extremely versatile and can really do it all, short of all out metal.

4. nedheftyfunk

nedheftyfunk SS.org Regular

I was in a similar position to you. I normally play a lot of metal, but wanted something a bit more diverse, something that could play prog. rock for example. I bought an EBMM Axis and like it a lot. It has that hard rock edge and sounds great with metal leads, but I'm not impressed with it at all for metal rhythm and think I really need something else for that application. I expect the Luke will be similar.

5. Vinchester

Cheers mate. Tomorrow I'm going to the store to try it out one more time. If all goes well I might pull the trigger :) Like you said, I'm thinking about getting a Strandberg in the future if I want another guitar for metal. I don't need my guitar to be a jack of all trade.

From the last time I tried the Luke III, I remember really liking the neck. Roasted maple oiled finish is insanely nice. I like how Les Paul-y the body mass is. Also very impressed with the Transition pups. Quite thick, loud and up front and with the dB boost it punches reminds me of EMGs. That said the Luke II had the nicest EMG tone I have heard of.

6. Vinchester

Five years ago my younger Jackson-wielding self was actually looking at the EBMM Axis for the exact reason :lol: Nice guitar man.

All my metal-oriented guitars all have extra jumbo frets and fixed bridge/floyds so I don't really want another one. I'm kind of excited to try getting used to something new.

7. penguin_316

penguin_316 SS.org Regular

There is a Luke III locally here at guitar center with a rosewood next and I just love it. While I just keep playing it unplugged I'm sure it's only weakness will be the pickups. You can replace those though. Also, the bridge is pretty much just dive only so there is that restriction of extreme whammy antics but still...

I don't even like the looks of it that much, it's all about the playability and feel of that unplugged sound. Very resonant.

8. nedheftyfunk

nedheftyfunk SS.org Regular

Our stories are even more similar as Jackson is normally my brand. I don't mind smaller frets, I have a KV2 and never noticed, it was mainly about a tone change. I have a friend who makes his Axis sing and was keen on the diversity he gets in his prog. tone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ5gOuYdPbY

I had an excuse to get a new guitar so went with the Axis, a semi-hollow one to boot. I should post a NGD some time. It's beautiful and sings, it just doesn't scream or punctuate like I'm used to. I still hanker after Jacksons, lol. Anyway, enjoy it, whatever you chose to do.

9. Vinchester

Thanks all. I just pulled the trigger yesterday for a BFR in blueberry burst :)

I hesitated for a while because the neck really is narrower than what I'm used to, which kind of cramps my hand, but I'm quite sure I can adapt my grip to that. This guitar really promotes precision playing. Also I don't find fretting out to be a problem.

The standard Luke I tried for the second time confirmed it sound absolutely HUGE. I'm very excited about playing with the BFR version so I went with it :) Now the wait begins.